RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rock Chip..UGH!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 01:53 PM
gregruns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Chip..UGH!!

I haven't even had my 2013 RX for a month and I found a rock chip on the hood already! I know you will eventually get them, but it still stings! I dabbed it with some of the touch up paint, but I can still see it, very small, but still there....I'm sure I will get over it once I get a few more, but I just wanted to vent a lillte. Anyone else here want to chime in?
Old 09-11-12, 02:31 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Got the 3M hood protector installed for $240 after a couple chips on the hood.....a lesson learned....YOu may want to do the same.
Old 09-11-12, 02:41 PM
RX35011
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Got the 3M hood protector installed for $240 after a couple chips on the hood.....a lesson learned....YOu may want to do the same.

Was it done at local Lexus dealership or do-it-yourself? I recently bought a 2011 RX 350 and thinking of installing this to protect my car. Thanks!
Old 09-11-12, 02:46 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what color you have, but there are touch-up kits for the three level paints ... like Starfire Pearl. They have all three paint levels plus the clear coat level. Driving slower or a clear front mask are the only way to reduce the effect of road rash.
Old 09-11-12, 02:47 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gregruns
I haven't even had my 2013 RX for a month and I found a rock chip on the hood already! I know you will eventually get them, but it still stings! I dabbed it with some of the touch up paint, but I can still see it, very small, but still there....I'm sure I will get over it once I get a few more, but I just wanted to vent a lillte. Anyone else here want to chime in?
I hear you greg. I also have a less than a month old 2013 RX and I'm so protective it's crazy :-). I park far away from everyone else if possible; do a daily walk around it to make sure no major chip marks; wipe off stains and dust; etc.

You're right though, everytime you see those stone chips, it stings and bothers you.
Old 09-11-12, 02:50 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RX35011
Was it done at local Lexus dealership or do-it-yourself? I recently bought a 2011 RX 350 and thinking of installing this to protect my car. Thanks!
I've installed clear mask kits on two cars (not my 450h, yet). If you are careful and have a second person (with some DIY skill), you can do the project yourself. The hood is very easy (about $125). The full front-end is a two person job if you want to play it safe because it is a large piece of material to handle. The only risk with the project is if you are not careful, you can get small bubbles under the material. I have been able to avoid that problem by just taking my time and working in good light (I have a high intensity shop light that I use).
Old 09-11-12, 04:24 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento
I hear you greg. I also have a less than a month old 2013 RX and I'm so protective it's crazy :-). I park far away from everyone else if possible; do a daily walk around it to make sure no major chip marks; wipe off stains and dust; etc.

You're right though, everytime you see those stone chips, it stings and bothers you.
Ha! I used to park way out there to avoid careless people dinging my doors. Then one day I walked out of the store, saw my car all by itself out in the distance and noticed that a front was just moving thru the area. To my horror I saw the wind begin pushing this grocery cart faster and faster toward my car. I thought: surely it's not going to bang into my car! Alas, it did. And it was quite a bounce when it hit. I was too far away to do anything but hang my head and shed a quiet tear.

These days, I put on the body side moldings, the door edge guards and park up close! I figure I'm surrounding myself from that wandering cart ever getting me again. . . .
Old 09-12-12, 05:58 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RX35011
Dealer wanted $699 retail, $599 when you bought the from them, will do it for $499 "just for me" since I am a loyal customer. I went to the local shop who does all the tints and bras for the Toyota store for $224+tax. They use 3M products and the hood is LARGER than what the dealer installed, maybe 2-4 in larger.

For the OP since you are in NE, call the Tint Shop place. Mod, if this is not allowed then please remove it.
Old 09-12-12, 06:44 AM
gregruns
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Huskers, I will look into it.
Old 09-12-12, 09:13 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Ha! I used to park way out there to avoid careless people dinging my doors. Then one day I walked out of the store, saw my car all by itself out in the distance and noticed that a front was just moving thru the area. To my horror I saw the wind begin pushing this grocery cart faster and faster toward my car. I thought: surely it's not going to bang into my car! Alas, it did. And it was quite a bounce when it hit. I was too far away to do anything but hang my head and shed a quiet tear.

These days, I put on the body side moldings, the door edge guards and park up close! I figure I'm surrounding myself from that wandering cart ever getting me again. . . .
LOL. I can imagine that helpless feeling as you watched the cart attack your car! I had a similar event years ago when my son came to give me a hug good bye as I was going to work, and accidentally hit the garage door button. I panicked as I watched the door close on my hood, as I couldn't reach the button to stop it without freaking my son out, because he had no idea what had happened. I just enjoyed the hug as I watched the door hit the hood. Sigh.

Anyway, to the OP, pay an aftermarket installer to put on a clear mask. It's worth whatever the cost compared to trying it yourself! I failed to put one on our last RX, and regretted it every time I washed the car. Our new RX had the mask installed yesterday.