RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

iOS 6 & iPhone 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 03:58 PM
prairiefir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BertL,

Great response.

I will use the 15 day trial period to see what works and what does not, and report back.

I'm somewhat heartened because there are reports of compatibility on many forums, across many car platforms. BMW and Mini (also BMW) seem to be the exception and I think that's because they use a proprietary connector and not the USB cable we have.

And, although you are correct I'm drawing hope from your apple when compared to my orange -- I'm
optimistic because I do not think Lexus could have done anything to change the 2013 settings to match the i5 because Apple does not play that way. I'm willing to bet Lexus did not know the exact details of the Lightning cable when they engineered the 2013 models.

All that said, the proof is in the testing and I'll test and report back when I get my phone.

Once more, thank you. You have the best and most useful writeup on the 'net.

Steve
Old 09-23-12, 05:08 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to hear Steve. I'll await your reply on how the iPhone operates on your IS.

FWIW, in my 2009 BMW, I agree, BMW had the best integration with iPod/Apple I've ever owned when I purchased the car with its proprietary $125 double connector cable on top of the price of the iPod interface option I special ordered with in the car itself. We Lexus owners take some things for granted, including perhaps some of the compromises Lexus has made in this smartphone integration, I think. Anyway, I'm glad I did not opt for the additional smartphone cradle in my BMW -- my take at the time was it was a nutty design given all mfgrs (not just Apple) change the shape and form of phones from gen to gen, and I was not convinced BMW would produce, or I could afford, to swap it out as often as I did smartphones every couple of years. I would have been stuck just as a lot of other BMW owners are now, I'm afraid. I'm much happier in my Lexus to have most of the capabilities of my iPhone supported via the more generic interface, with fair confidence the most important things will continue to work as I upgrade my smartphone in the future.

Last edited by BertL; 09-23-12 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-24-12, 01:20 PM
JLRX
10th Gear

hello all, picked up iphone 5 today and paired with rx450h,

- wireless phone - NO PROBLEMS
- wireless music - PROBLEMS - unable to connect
- USB connection - NO PROBLEMS - music

I tried deleting the phone and re-pairing but no success getting music via bluetooth, was working fine with my old 3GS model so re-paired that one to make sure it wasn't something else and it worked fine.

Any ideas?
Old 09-24-12, 01:51 PM
BertL
Racer

JLRX: So people can help a bit more, what is the year of your RX450h? Do you have Nav? Do you have Mark Levinson?
Old 09-24-12, 01:56 PM
JLRX
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BertL
JLRX: So people can help a bit more, what is the year of your RX450h? Do you have Nav? Do you have Mark Levinson?
tx for the quick reply bert,

2012 RX450h, includes NAV and Mark Levinson
Old 09-24-12, 01:59 PM
BertL
Racer

Originally Posted by JLRX
tx for the quick reply bert,

2012 RX450h, includes NAV and Mark Levinson
Sorry, not a lot of ideas come to mind, except to be sure your iPhone 5 can connect to something else via Bluetooth if that is possible (to rule out an iPhone issue) -- earpiece?
Old 09-24-12, 02:05 PM
RKrukoski
Driver School Candidate

- Use of iOS Lexus Enform App with integrated Lexus Apps in the RX (e.g. Bing) -- SUCCESS

Is anyone here from Canada? I don't see the Lexus Enform app in the Canadian Apple App Store, only in the US App store ...
Old 09-24-12, 03:55 PM
BertL
Racer

JLRX: Been thinking about this some more -- nothing for sure, but some more things to try:

- First, and I apologize for asking, but after you paired the iPhone 5, you successfully can place a phone call to and from the phone via the truck, right? That is another way to prove you have BT connectivity. If that works, then it's only a BT streaming issue with the audio system.

- Three more things to try, in increasing amount of work on your part:
1. Have not heard about this in a while, but was more common in iOS 3 / 4 days... Try physically turning off and on your iPhone -- all the way, meaning hold power+Home then slide to off and power back on.

2. I also had a BT problem with an earpiece in the iOS 4 or 5.0 days that was intermittent. This is more drastic than #1, but the Genius Bar had me do the following -- and amazingly I had no more problems with my earpiece ever again. Something needed to get shook loose in iOS it appeared: Settings / General / Reset Network Settings
Warning: You will loose your Wi-Fi and BT settings/passwords and you'll then have to "re-pair" your phone. Doing only that reset will keep your apps, their customization, etc so just be sure you have your passwords ready to get Wi-Fi and BT going again after you do it.

3. If the reset network settings didn't work, the next thing he wanted to try (fortunately didn't have to) was to reset my whole iPhone and reinstall my apps and settings manually without using the iTunes backup (that's important to be sure NO settings of some sort move across from either your 3GS or iPhone 5). You only want to do this as a last resort attempt, since you'll have to set up your phone as if you've never had one. Fortunately, you can bring contacts, apps, etc over easily from iTunes again, but you'll have to customize everything else from scratch, and for me, that's a several hour process with my 200+ apps and nearly 18GB of music. To reset your phone as if it came out of the box: Settings / General / Erase All Content and Settings
Good luck. I'm going to likely be without access to the forum for a week or so while I'm traveling, but will check back as soon as I can... hopefully, to good news from you!
Old 09-24-12, 04:09 PM
BertL
Racer

Originally Posted by RKrukoski
- Use of iOS Lexus Enform App with integrated Lexus Apps in the RX (e.g. Bing) -- SUCCESS

Is anyone here from Canada? I don't see the Lexus Enform app in the Canadian Apple App Store, only in the US App store ...
While you're waiting for a Canadian to reply, see if your Canadian Lexus Site has an "Enform" section, like this one here in the US (note the "Lexus Enform App" tab on that page)... That may provide a clue for you in the meantime. Good luck!
Old 09-25-12, 09:29 AM
Supersnoop
Driver School Candidate

Any experience using Pandora yet? My wife says her new iPhone 5 won't play Pandora in her 2013 RX 450h.
Old 09-25-12, 10:58 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

... Since I was a programmer many years ago ...
Of course!!! I should have recognized the testing style. Very methodical and thorough, with a strong sense of logic and attention to detail. I bet you're a really good programmer!

Thanks for what you do on this forum. It's a great service!
Old 09-26-12, 02:43 PM
prairiefir
Driver School Candidate

Default Update: It Works on my IS350

BertL,

As promised, thought I'd drop by and tell you the iPhone 5 with Lightning cable is working on my 2012 IS 350 (Not ML sound).

I put a longer write up in the IS forum about the scrambling I had to do to get it to work -- had to pair for BT sound, and then turn car off and on again. Not sure this is a scientific way to explain my diddling -- but it now works.

Best,

Steve
Old 09-26-12, 05:28 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As with the previous versions of iPhone, the USB connection with the iPhone does not seem to work (for music). But the system does seem to be designed to work with the iPod and USB just fine. I guess it's an Apple issue. But with the iPod and USB, you can use the display to select and program the music to play almost anyway it's loaded on the iPod. Using the Bluetooth you almost need a passenger to play DJ as it's all selected from the device itself.
Originally Posted by prairiefir
BertL,

As promised, thought I'd drop by and tell you the iPhone 5 with Lightning cable is working on my 2012 IS 350 (Not ML sound).

I put a longer write up in the IS forum about the scrambling I had to do to get it to work -- had to pair for BT sound, and then turn car off and on again. Not sure this is a scientific way to explain my diddling -- but it now works.

Best,

Steve
Old 09-27-12, 01:14 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

During the second half of 2010 Lexus provided an update to improve scrolling using an Apple device and the USB connection. So for me since that time I've had few, if any, problems using an iPhone and Lexus USB. I've not plugged in an iPod and only use iPhones as a USB music source. As I buy a new iPhone, the old one is relegated to live in the deep catacombs of the center console. I leave it plugged in all the time and in airplane mode. I delete most applications off of it and keep about 800 songs on it. Right now there is a iPhone 4 in the catacomb.

As an experiment today, I plugged my 4s running iOS6 into the USB outlet of a 2012 RX. Initially there were some problems, but I wonder if it was related to storing my music in the "Cloud" and it needed to download. After the initial difficulty, switching the audio back and forth between all the sources and turning the car off and back on had no negative effect. The iPhone - USB connection seemed solid and worked as expected.

Will be awhile before getting an iPhone 6 or a 13 or 14 RX, but hopefully all the "bugs" are worked out by then and Lexus officially supports iPhones on the USB connection.
Old 10-03-12, 05:55 AM
JLRX
10th Gear

JLRX: Been thinking about this some more -- nothing for sure, but some more things to try:

- First, and I apologize for asking, but after you paired the iPhone 5, you successfully can place a phone call to and from the phone via the truck, right? That is another way to prove you have BT connectivity. If that works, then it's only a BT streaming issue with the audio system.

- Three more things to try, in increasing amount of work on your part:
1. Have not heard about this in a while, but was more common in iOS 3 / 4 days... Try physically turning off and on your iPhone -- all the way, meaning hold power+Home then slide to off and power back on.

2. I also had a BT problem with an earpiece in the iOS 4 or 5.0 days that was intermittent. This is more drastic than #1, but the Genius Bar had me do the following -- and amazingly I had no more problems with my earpiece ever again. Something needed to get shook loose in iOS it appeared: Settings / General / Reset Network Settings
Warning: You will loose your Wi-Fi and BT settings/passwords and you'll then have to "re-pair" your phone. Doing only that reset will keep your apps, their customization, etc so just be sure you have your passwords ready to get Wi-Fi and BT going again after you do it.

3. If the reset network settings didn't work, the next thing he wanted to try (fortunately didn't have to) was to reset my whole iPhone and reinstall my apps and settings manually without using the iTunes backup (that's important to be sure NO settings of some sort move across from either your 3GS or iPhone 5). You only want to do this as a last resort attempt, since you'll have to set up your phone as if you've never had one. Fortunately, you can bring contacts, apps, etc over easily from iTunes again, but you'll have to customize everything else from scratch, and for me, that's a several hour process with my 200+ apps and nearly 18GB of music. To reset your phone as if it came out of the box: Settings / General / Erase All Content and Settings
Good luck. I'm going to likely be without access to the forum for a week or so while I'm traveling, but will check back as soon as I can... hopefully, to good news from you!
Bert, I got it to work, this is what I did, I deleted my pairing then I paired the music first then the phone.

The first time I paired my iPhone I only had to do it once through the phone section so not sure why it had to be done this way this time but it works so I am not complaining.

Quick Reply: iOS 6 & iPhone 5