RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

iOS 6 & iPhone 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 08:28 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default iOS 6 & iPhone 5

New Apple iPhones and iOS became available this week. Lexus Mobile Link is the official place where supported configurations and features for various phones and vehicles is maintained. Given interest from others here on CL, until that website is updated, following is part #1 of 2 documenting my experiences on the subject. (My iPhone 5 is slated for arrival via UPS today, and I will get part #2 on iPhone5 experience added to this thread ASAP.)

Part 1: iPhone 4 with iOS 6

Environment
- Lexus 2013 RX450h with Navigation & Mark Levinson
- Apple iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1, upgraded via iTunes to iOS 6

Process Followed
I backed-up my iPhone 4 via iTunes (with backup password on the Summary tab) and then allowed it to be upgraded to iOS 6. No information or configuration settings were lost during the update, and unexpectedly, the update did not cause my music, books, etc to be downloaded again, making this a relatively fast and simple procedure. Superb.

RESULTS SUMMARY
My RXh with an iPhone 4 and the latest iOS performs flawlessly in all scenarios -- exactly as it did prior to the operating system update.

Detailed Tests & Results

- Automatic Contacts Transfer -- SUCCESS
Note: I have less than 100 contacts set to transfer from my iPhone to my truck, so cannot represent if there are new or different issues for those with more than 3K contacts on their iPhone (see other threads on that more extreme situation.)
- Use of iOS Lexus Enform App with integrated Lexus Apps in the RX (e.g. Bing) -- SUCCESS

- iPhone hardwired via USB (with Apple 30-pin cable):
---- iPhone charges -- SUCCESS
---- Playing iPhone music via Lexus audio "iPod" interface -- SUCCESS
---- Placing a call while listening to FM -- SUCCESS
---- Placing a call while listening to iPhone music -- SUCCESS
---- Receive a call while listening to FM -- SUCCESS
---- Receive a call while listening to iPhone music -- SUCCESS

- iPhone connected via Bluetooth (BT) wireless:
---- Playing iPhone music streaming via Lexus audio "BT" interface -- SUCCESS
---- Placing a call while listening to streaming iPhone music -- SUCCESS
---- Receive a call while listening to streaming iPhone music -- SUCCESS

Caveats:
1. Based on what I've read, I don't believe my having Nav or Mark Levinson should make a difference with the tests above. I also suspect there won't be a difference in results between 2013 RX350 and RX450h, or perhaps even 2010-12's, but do not know that for a fact. I'm sure other CL members would appreciate and benefit from others reporting back their findings with different combinations.

Last edited by BertL; 09-21-12 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added one other test I forgot to document
Old 09-21-12, 09:39 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the update Bert. I am also holding my iPhone 4 in my hands right now with IOS6 and am also waiting for the iPhone 5 to come today too!

I wonder if there are any changes to the BT audio interface with the iPhone 5. Speaking from a 2011 RXh model, when I upgraded to IOS5, we started getting meta data on that BT audio screen. In the past, it didnt have the song information
Old 09-21-12, 09:43 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Bert for this comprehensive document and I look forward to part 2.

I didn't perform as an extensive test, but was interested if the BT to USB to BT music source switching had improved. It should be noted I have an iPhone 4s and a 2012 RXh with navigation, no ML. Prior to the iOS6 update, switching from BT to USB and back to BT would required hitting the <connect> button on screen to reconnect to the BT source. Please note too, this was only a problem with Apple's "Music" software. It was not a problem with a music application like Pandora.

I can report it it no longer necessary to use the <connect> button when switching from any music source to BT. However 3 to 5 seconds of music is lost during the transition. A small sacrifice for not losing the connection completely. Both Pandora and Apple's "Music" perform in this manner.

So some headway was made in making switching between sources seamless.

(One side note, SIRI is smarter in the new iOS.)

Last edited by DunWkg; 09-21-12 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 09-21-12, 09:55 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, BertL,

We have never had iPhones, and are also receiving our iPhone 5's today at our hotel while vacationing in San Antonio. Thanks for your part 1 information, and we are looking forward to your part 2, especially since we also have the 2013 450h. Thanks for helping us all out.
Old 09-21-12, 11:18 AM
BertL
Racer

...continuation of Post #1. My iPhone 5 has arrived.

Part 2: iPhone 5 with iOS 6

Environment
- Lexus 2013 RX450h with Navigation & Mark Levinson
- Apple iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0

Process Followed
I backed-up my old iPhone 4 via iTunes (with backup password on the Summary tab), removed it's SIM in prep for resale, and then attached my new iPhone 5 via the new Apple Lightning cable (replacing the former USB to 30-pin cable) to my Mac. Registration and restoration of my previous iPhone 4 configuration via iTunes to the new phone was uneventful and as expected.

Important Note: Through testing, I found it was necessary to "re-pair" my new iPhone with my RX450h before any cellular communication would take place between them. (Interestingly, BT streaming worked before the "re-pair" process using the former pairing info I suspect was ported from my iPhone 4 to the new iPhone 5.)

RESULTS SUMMARY
I paired the new phone with the truck, and everything was smooth from there on. My RXh with an iPhone 5 and the latest iOS performs flawlessly in all scenarios.

Detailed Tests & Results

- Automatic Contacts Transfer -- SUCCESS
Note: I have less than 100 contacts set to transfer from my iPhone to my truck, so cannot represent if there are new or different issues for those with more than 3K contacts on their iPhone (see other threads on that more extreme situation.)
- Use of iOS Lexus Enform App with integrated Lexus Apps in the RX (e.g. Bing) -- SUCCESS

- iPhone hardwired via USB (with Apple Lightning cable):
---- iPhone charges -- SUCCESS
---- Playing iPhone music via Lexus audio "iPod" interface -- SUCCESS
---- Placing a call while listening to iPhone music -- SUCCESS
---- Receive a call while listening to iPhone music -- SUCCESS

- iPhone connected via Bluetooth (BT) wireless:
---- Playing iPhone music streaming via Lexus audio "BT" interface -- SUCCESS
---- Placing a call while listening to streaming iPhone music -- SUCCESS
---- Receive a call while listening to streaming iPhone music -- SUCCESS

Caveats:
1. Based on what I've read, I don't believe my having Nav or Mark Levinson should make a difference with the tests above. I also suspect there won't be a difference in results between 2013 RX350 and RX450h, or perhaps even 2010-12's, but do not know that for a fact. I'm sure other CL members would appreciate and benefit from others reporting back their findings with different combinations.
2. I have an "Apple Lightning 30-pin Adapter" on order (as does everyone else in the world, awaiting shipment in October), which will allow a legacy USB to 30-pin cable to be connected to this new adapter, and in turn, into the "Lightning connector" on newer devices such as an iPhone 5. I'll report back on this thread when I receive the adapter if I find any anomalies.
Old 09-21-12, 11:41 AM
elkbrett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 RX250 results

Afternoon all:

Upon upgrading my iphone4 to iOS6 everything worked on my 2012 RX350 except the hardwired USB playback. The USB charging worked, the car recognizes it's there and a USB player but no song information displays nor any control available or music plays. This worked fine immediately prior to the iOS6 upgrade.

Additionally, my iphone5 arrived earlier and it has the same problem. Bluetooth works fine however.

-B
Old 09-22-12, 08:19 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elkbrett
Afternoon all:

Upon upgrading my iphone4 to iOS6 everything worked on my 2012 RX350 except the hardwired USB playback. The USB charging worked, the car recognizes it's there and a USB player but no song information displays nor any control available or music plays. This worked fine immediately prior to the iOS6 upgrade.

Additionally, my iphone5 arrived earlier and it has the same problem. Bluetooth works fine however.

-B
That's odd. Both my iPhone 4 (with IOS 6 upgrade) and iPhone 5 work fine as USB (and BT) players. No issues with playback or controls. (Same limited navigation with BT under IOS 6 as there was with IOS 5).

I used the Enform app with eDestinations for the first time this morning. I'm a bit underwhelmed with the "ease" of use. It'll become second nature with frequency I suppose but the whole setup left something to be desired., both on the PC side and on the car side.
Old 09-22-12, 10:17 AM
RXSF

aww no changes to the bt audio interface... lol
Old 09-22-12, 12:25 PM
formanrobs
Driver School Candidate

Default Shame on Lexus- iPhone 5 and IOS6 crashes with Enform App

I just picked up my new iphone 5 today. I re-synced all my apps and downloaded the new versions for IOS6. The Lexus Enform app crashes when opening up. As a test, I tried my iphone 4 with an older iOS that I had been using and it still operated fine.

It does not appear that Lexus is really dedicated to making this a first class app and feature at the present time otherwise the would have been ready for iphone 5 and IOS6. Most other apps are running just fine.

If you are advertising your ES300h and other Lexus vehicles as technologically advanced, then you have to be ready when any updates hit the street. Lexus customer assistance was unable to give me any dates when an update would be available.

I had no less than fifty apps that were ready with updates when I turned on my new iPhone 5. This relegates Lexus Enform app to 2nd class status.
Old 09-22-12, 02:12 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Rob, Looks like you're in the wrong forum, this is the RX series, not the ES series. 2nd, it's not a problem with Lexus if Apple brings out a new phone and/or 'IOS' that doesn't play nice with a car that's already built. That's asking a bit much I think.
Originally Posted by formanrobs
I just picked up my new iphone 5 today. I re-synced all my apps and downloaded the new versions for IOS6. The Lexus Enform app crashes when opening up. As a test, I tried my iphone 4 with an older iOS that I had been using and it still operated fine.

It does not appear that Lexus is really dedicated to making this a first class app and feature at the present time otherwise the would have been ready for iphone 5 and IOS6. Most other apps are running just fine.

If you are advertising your ES300h and other Lexus vehicles as technologically advanced, then you have to be ready when any updates hit the street. Lexus customer assistance was unable to give me any dates when an update would be available.

I had no less than fifty apps that were ready with updates when I turned on my new iPhone 5. This relegates Lexus Enform app to 2nd class status.
Old 09-22-12, 06:56 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Enform on IOS 6 works fine on my iPhone5. I have a disagreement (subjective difference of opinion) over how it's laid out but it does everything Lexus says it does.
Old 09-22-12, 09:02 PM
aarongue6
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by formanrobs

Had the same problem, but for me deleting the app and re-downloading from the App Store solved the issue.
Old 09-22-12, 09:05 PM
RXSF

siri works well to integrate into the cars voice command through the sound system
Old 09-23-12, 11:25 AM
prairiefir
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank You. Apply to iPhone 5 and 2012 IS 350?

BertL,

Thank you. This is the best analysis I've found after searching the 'net.

Is there any reason to believe that your test results would be different had you used my 2012 IS350 with the navigation system?

My biggest concern is that the new Lightning phone cable will not play nice with my system. If it won't, I'll probably stay with my iPhone 4.

Is there anything different between the RX and IS models that would affect this? And, between the 2013 you tested and my 2012? (Knowing Apple's secrecy, I doubt that Apple would share the cable info with Lexus, or anyone, ahead of time.)

Once more, thank you for the excellent write up.

Best,

Steve
Old 09-23-12, 01:38 PM
BertL
Racer

Steve, thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, I just can't talk for certain on your IS... I've never even ridden in one, I'm almost embarrassed to admit, but will likely be considering a 2014 convertible when they finally come out.. If it's helpful, here's a few random thoughts... All is speculation on my part, so use appropriately -- no promises, I'm afraid:

- Now that I've confirmed the new Lightning cable works in my 2013, I suspect charging and "iPod playback" should physically work in other Lexus vehicles with USB connectivity, but you'll note in this thread there is at least one member that is reporting problems... Others say its OK like my testing did, so we don't know if the failure is an isolated vehicle and environment. There was some concern and speculation on the net that Lightning pins would not allow "iPod playback" via USB on legacy devices, but it does work in my 2013, so i would speculate the physical connection in other Lexus' is probably OK.

- I'm more concerned about how Lexus wrote the code in the various models they have and how that may or may not apply to an IS. We really dont know for sure precisely what is the same or not in the hardware and software running the audio systems between models and model years -- only Lexus engineering does. It's interesting to me in the Lexus Mobile Link site, they ask for model, year, and if there is Nav or not ... Then, type of phone from what carrier. Since I was a programmer many years ago, seeing that logic in their tool, leads me to believe changes in any of those variables are the things that may cause different smartphone functions to work or not across the Lexus line.

- We know Lexus put in some amount of changes into the audio/Nav on the 2013 RX refresh compared to the 2010-12 ... To what degree that effects any smartphone, those of us on this forum can only speculate. It's why I tried to really think through the combinations I could try for my testing in the posts here, so if others found differences, we could isolate what they were.

- We've seen differences between hardwired and Bluetooth capabilities across model years on the RX, as well as some new functionality becoming available (or improved) as Apple released new levels of iOS. Whatever each Lexus is designed for (hardware and software wise) when it ships, that's what we get. e.g. My 2006 RX400h worked with basic RIM, Samsung, and iPhone functions clear up through my iPhone 4 before I traded in my 400h a couple of months ago, but there was no streaming, contact transfer, etc since those capabilities were not around when Lexus designed the Audio system of that older truck.). My point here is Apple can add new hardware and software capabilities in their phone, but that does not mean the other end (our Lexus) was designed to use it. I would not expect Lexus or any auto mfgr to keep a single vehicle MY able to connect to every phone or operating system that becomes available in the future. Each is what we get at the point in time we buy it. There is no legal commitment even for phone mfgrs to give old phones new functionality as the years go on. When they do, it's great, but a I consider it a bonus... Not an expectation in my book.

So, all that to say, I can't be sure across model lines... Speculating across some model years in the same model line is probably safer, but that does not help you. Lexus will eventually update their mobility website with iPhone 5 (see link in my first post). I don't have a guesstimate how long that may take though -- perhaps another CL member has seen as past example that may help.

One thing to consider in your case if you don't want to wait for an official Lexus answer... Check what the return policies are of buying your phone from Apple or your Carrier directly... If one has something like a 30-day return policy, then you could order the new iPhone 5, try it in your vehicle, and if it does not work, return it and keep your iPhone 4. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more decisive to help you ... I'm just a consumer with no inside information on all this too.

Quick Reply: iOS 6 & iPhone 5