RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

One week with my New RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 05:18 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default One week with my New RX

It’s been a week since I picked up my 2013 RX 450h and I’ve had time to gather a few impressions. For point of reference I came off of an 11-year old 2001 RX 300; so I skipped the 2nd gen altogether and the “3.0” gen as well. I’m posting this review in the main forum since little of what I have to say is specific to the hybrid.

Overall I am extremely happy with the car and all the features I ordered. Mine was a special order – it took about 3-1/2 months from the time I said go to my dealer (Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria VA) until they called me saying it was ready. I special ordered because I wanted the luxury package with the Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM), Heads Up display (HUD), Intuitive Park Assist (IPA) and Mark Levinson options. I also wanted Stargazer Black (though I would have picked Matador Red if that was still offered on the 2013). I skipped the radar cruise control (seldom use cruise control here in suburban DC where I do 90% plus of my driving), RSES (no little ones to ride in the back), and tow prep (never had occasion to tow in the past though I might have a Curt hitch installed just for bikes in the future).

The fit and finish are as close to perfect as I can tell. So far I’ve heard nary a squeak or rattle and not a part is out of place or misaligned. The color is exactly what I expected and after giving it its first hand washing today, it’s popping even more. I just put in the order for the full Zaino kit and I anticipate going that route for all future washes and waxing. I may be in the market for a 3M film protection since I found a tiny (less than pinhead but it’s there) chip in the hood front edge today when doing the wipe down with a microfiber cloth after hand washing. (I only hand wash.)

I find the seats to be the most comfortable of any car I’ve ever ridden in. For me they feel like a perfect fit and I can see spending long trips in them and not being at all fatigued from sitting. The adjustability is great and the semi-aniline leather in the luxury package is sublime. The leather and wood steering wheel is some getting used to after my all leather-wrapped one on the old car but it certainly feels great and having all the controls at my fingertips is very convenient.

I’m loving the BSM feature. I find it really quite convenient and a nice reminder on the relatively busy streets around here. The IPA and backup camera are also nice to have and make parking and pulling out safer and easier. The much tighter turning radius is also a much welcome feature in parking lots and for the occasional U-turn.

The LED headlights and LED DRLs are just gorgeous. The HUD is a great extra and I find it keeps my speed in check by having it right up there to remind me. It’s strictly a luxury of course but still quite nice to have. The 19" wheels with the 5 split spokes and Superchrome finish are also gorgeous. Pictures don't do them justice.

The navigation is excellent and very easy to use. I did my first Enform download to the car this weekend and can see myself using that for out of town trips to unfamiliar destinations. As mentioned in other threads, playback of music and integration of calls from my iPhone (4 until Friday and now the 5) had been working flawlessly. The hands-free calling is definitely much easier and safer than any other approach. Bluetooth synced quickly and perfectly and has worked fine every time. I’ve still not quite got the hang of the voice assist for making calls so that’s something I need to work on.

One thing I didn’t anticipate is that parking garages in DC have priority parking for hybrids. It’s a nice benefit to get the rock star treatment of a spot waiting right up front when pulling into a public garage as I had to do a couple of times last week on business.

I do love the better mileage of the hybrid. I’ve not filled up yet but the fuel info is telling me I’ve been averaging 27.5 mpg on my first tank so far. That’s certainly nice coming from about 18-19 mpg on my previous ride. Based on what others have experienced, I expect that to edge up 2-3 mpg on average once the engine gets broken in.

My overall rating – two thumbs up and a snap.

A couple of pics (Waiting 30 days until VA DMV will let me get hybrid plates for it - until then I have my old ones transferred):
Attached Thumbnails One week with my New RX-rx450h-2012-09-23-002.jpg   One week with my New RX-rx450h-2012-09-23-004.jpg   One week with my New RX-rx450h-2012-09-23-006.jpg  

Last edited by mklemovitc; 09-23-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added note on pictures, resized interior pic, typo
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-03-20)
Old 09-23-12, 05:30 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the great review and pics. Very happy to have another satisfied new RXh owner with us, even though I'm jealous you have BSM and I don't, since I was a couple months ahead of your delivery. Congrats again, and ENJOY THAT RIDE!
Old 09-23-12, 06:16 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nice ride..i like the front spindle grill however i wished they would also have done something edger @ back too..i mean i like the back but just something sharper (like the front) would have been cool..Those fogs looks high up compare to older gen??
Old 09-23-12, 06:30 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the RX has many options, that I could not get in my 2013 LX, and I'd have gladly traded my rear-seat DVD players (no kids, no grandkids, and my guests should not be watching ****, while we drive), for a few of them.

Wonder how the options are doled out for the Lexus SUV's?

Nice report. Hope to have my comparison review of the LX vs wife's MB S AMG done soon. You have given me some guides for that.

Thank you, and enjoy,

Hunt
Old 09-23-12, 06:43 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Marvin, I went from the 1st gen 2003 RX300 to this as well. It was rock solid and so is this but I'm driving it more than I anticipated I would due to my wife's nursing home being nearly three hours from here. Mine is an early build 2010 and it's wonderful so far with over 41k on the odo. Overall mileage is over 31mpg burning premium. Keep posting your experiences.
Seabone726 (04-03-20)
Old 09-23-12, 07:17 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics! I've yet to hear any negatives, only contentment in regards to Special Orders for the RX450h.
Old 09-23-12, 08:48 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I too special ordered mine in stargazer black back in 2010 for the luxury package. Great choice and Im glad you are getting good mpg numbers off the bat!
Old 09-24-12, 07:56 AM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write-up. I have had my F Sport (not a hybrid) for just over 2 weeks with all of the same options. I have the same observations. The Stargazer Black looks awesome. Enjoy!
Old 09-24-12, 12:26 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Nice pics and nice car too mklemovitc !
Hope you will appreciate this amazing silent car and the ML audio (BT or CD's or HDD... sound quality is incredible !)
Old 09-24-12, 02:11 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice choice!

I also have the stargazer black and love it. I have to say, I've yet to see another stargazer black RX on the road.

I didn't skip a generation, but having both an '05 2nd and '12 3rd gen RX at the same time really provides a unique perspective on the design changes. This latest generation is such a substantial improvement in most ways. So comfortable, silent, and serene. I feel pampered on every drive.
Old 09-24-12, 05:43 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Thanks for the welcoming and kind words everyone.

I filled up today and my first 8 days' average was 29.3 mpg. I do find myself letting up on the acceleration to stay in the "Eco" range but I'm by no means trying to "hypermile" or eke the last bit of efficiency out of the hybrid. I suppose my mostly "city" driving keeps me at the high end of the expected range.

imherenow - the fogs may be higher than they are on the 2nd gen. My 1st gen had them right up below the headlights (in the same assembly) so they were very limited in their utility there. I believe the F Sport fascia lowers them down if you opt for that variant on the 2013.

Formula271 - "pampered" is the right word. I feel that every time I drive.

I have my first longish highway drive coming up this weekend so I'll have some more impressions after that.
Seabone726 (04-03-20)