RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rodent got into my RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 05:26 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,171 Likes on 999 Posts

A critter ate your wires. The nest probably is in the cabin air filter.
A local independent shop should be able to splice in wires to repair the chewed area, or you can do it yourself.
A Lexus dealer would probably try to charge you to replace the entire harness for $2000
Old 07-01-21, 04:34 AM
italia0682
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
A critter ate your wires. The nest probably is in the cabin air filter.
A local independent shop should be able to splice in wires to repair the chewed area, or you can do it yourself.
Yeah I can splice them back together. Unsure if that's the only two chewed up though. Anyone know what the module/box does and if it could ultimately cause the issue?

Also, I pulled out the filter and didn't see anything much. Will try to look again a bit more thoroughly (like shove my phone camera back there) later. Will also try to check under that silver engine cover (I assume that just pops right off).

Edit: Also, thanks mods for moving my post to the more appropriate thread.

Last edited by italia0682; 07-01-21 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-01-21, 03:09 PM
Clutchless

The plastic silver engine cover pops right off. I have no idea what those wires are for but since they are obviously damaged they must be the cause of your problems.
Repair the obvious thing first and that usually takes care of the issue. Some folks get carried away dreaming of crazy scenarios of what could be wrong when the answer is right in front of them. I suspect that all will be okay once you splice them back together unless there is more damage under the engine cover!

The usual target for critters is the fuel injector wires or coil wires. They sell pigtail wire connection kits for these repairs. I think folks found them on eBay or some car parts sites. If you read earlier posts in this thread you will find the answer to how others did their repairs.

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-01-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-01-21, 04:44 PM
italia0682
Driver School Candidate

Update: Didn't see any nest things under the cover either. Did put some peppermint oil around since I heard that can help repel rodents though.

As for that silver box, some sort of fuel pump module according to the part number I found on it... so yeah... no power to that would stop the car from running.

Spliced the wires together and wrapped in some electric tape.

I couldn't get as much of the exposed wire spliced together as I'd like. Will have to do a more robust fix later with some solder or something. But... she runs!
Old 07-02-21, 04:29 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 419 Likes on 335 Posts

Good job. Sure do wish the wiring harness fabricators would find something other than soy-based material to make the wiring insulation from. Mice, squirrels, etc. are drawn like a magnet to that stuff. It has been a problem across all manufacturers for years now.

Old 07-02-21, 05:02 AM
italia0682
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Good job. Sure do wish the wiring harness fabricators would find something other than soy-based material to make the wiring insulation from. Mice, squirrels, etc. are drawn like a magnet to that stuff. It has been a problem across all manufacturers for years now.
I think I saw Honda makes like a pepper/capsaicin tape. That would be quite a surprise for the little critters hahah.
Old 07-02-21, 05:28 AM
Clutchless

You can get the Honda pepper - capsaicin tape on eBay. This is the listing title:
​​​​​​NEW GENUINE HONDA ACURA RODENT RAT MICE MOUSE PROOF ELECTRICAL TAPE 4019-2317
Old 07-02-21, 08:33 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 419 Likes on 335 Posts

I wonder how many rolls of that tape would be required to cover 100% of the wiring in the typical vehicle....
Old 07-02-21, 12:00 PM
Clutchless

I think you could start with one roll since that will set you back about $47. See how far it goes covering up the most exposed engine bay wires before determining if you want to get another roll. I suspect one roll would be enough to protect the main trouble points in most vehicles. Plus a few moth ***** and maybe some other critter repellent sprays and a few mouse traps around the garage. I have used rat traps for squirrels with some modifications to make them more deadly following instructions from youtube.
Old 07-02-21, 05:25 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Another attack

Number 4 injector wire must be extra tasty. Check engine light came on last week with misfire. Code came up as #4 misfire. Pulled the cover and found a lovely squirrel nest made from my firewall insulation and foam from the engine cover😟😟. Found #4 injector wire chewed off plus 2 ground wires chewed off. After an afternoon of cleaning, soldering and heat shrink, it is running ok again. Put the cover back on and the next day it had come back and chewed up more foam from the cover. Open warfare now with rat trap set but haven’t got it yet. Take no prisoners!!

Old 07-03-21, 04:32 AM
Clutchless

Here is the squirrel modification for rat trap. Easy to do and much more effective.
Old 07-04-21, 08:52 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

A Conibear Trap will kill every squirrel that ever gets into it. They are amazing.
Old 07-11-21, 07:24 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default The war is over

The squirrel came back again and chewed up more of my firewall insulation. I modified the rat trap as shown and sometime during the day today, the squirrel came back - for the last time!!!! It had even chewed on my #4 injector harness again. I think it was in the way of building the nest.

The following users liked this post:
laserwiz (12-12-22)
Old 07-12-21, 04:26 PM
Clutchless

Congratulations on stopping the varmint from doing more damage. You should be able to get another engine cover at a junk yard or ebay.
Old 12-06-22, 02:07 PM
WmBuckle77
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rababich
Thanks, we had cut back a row of bushes in front of the car and there were snails around them.
I'm parking the car on the other side of the driveway until the neighbors tangerines are done.
I have some peanut butter dessert on a special plate for them (on top of a shed between the tree and the driveway).
Same exact thing happened to my 02 rx300 those stupid rodents chewed both wires of no. 3 fuel injector! I'm in the process of figuring out which wire goes where on that cylinder. Can't find a diagram with colors. The chewed it right at connector so can't tell where the red wire or black with red strip goes. I'm sure they got other wires I haven't found yet. Just got the carin this condition to fix up.

Quick Reply: Rodent got into my RX