RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Roof Rack Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 03:49 AM
joeh80
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

After reviewing the pictures I think the gasket was from the factory roof racks and not from Sewell.
Old 11-07-12, 10:44 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default roof rails and roof racks

We have a 2012 FWD RX450h and of course it doesn't come with the roof rails or roof racks. We might be interested in getting roof rails and roof racks but I was wondering if we have to get roof rails or if we can somehow get roof racks that slot into the four slots on the roof of the car?

I know that might not make sense so allow me to explain. I know that obviously, we could go the route of getting Lexus roof rails and then getting the Lexus roof racks. What I'm wondering is instead of getting the rails and the racks, is there something out there for racks that somehow use the slots on the roof?

If you look at a BMW 3 series, the roof has 4 slots. This is so if people want to add rails/racks on their 3 series, they don't actually need to buy rails. They can just buy roof racks with slots that go into the 4 slots on the roof and are secured to the car that way.

Does anybody know if it works this way on the RX or do you have to buy the rails and then the racks?

Last edited by bam; 11-07-12 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-07-12, 10:54 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Richard, good question. The original RX300 (like my 03 model) came with the racks, no rails. If I understand correctly, that's what you're looking for. In the 2nd and 3rd generation RX models, they came with rails that cross bars (racks) could be installed into. That's what you have to work with now. There are threads 'below' where some wanted to remove them for a cleaner look. If you're interested, you might single some out and PM them to ask if they'd consider selling them.

I hope this helps.
Originally Posted by bam
We have a 2012 FWD RX450h and of course it doesn't come with the roof rails or roof racks. We might be interested in getting roof rails and roof racks but I was wondering if we have to get roof rails or if we can somehow get roof racks that slot into the four slots on the roof of the car?

I know that might not make sense so allow me to explain. I know that obviously, we could go the route of getting Lexus roof rails and then getting the Lexus roof racks. What I'm wondering is instead of getting the rails and the racks, is there something out there for racks that somehow use the slots on the roof?

If you look at a BMW 3 series, the roof has 4 slots. This is so if people want to add rails/racks on their 3 series, they don't actually need to buy rails. They can just buy roof racks with slots that go into the 4 slots on the roof and are secured to the car that way.

Does anybody know if it works this way or the RX or do you have to buy the rails and then the racks?
Old 11-07-12, 10:59 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Richard, good question. The original RX300 (like my 03 model) came with the racks, no rails. If I understand correctly, that's what you're looking for. In the 2nd and 3rd generation RX models, they came with rails that cross bars (racks) could be installed into. That's what you have to work with now. There are threads 'below' where some wanted to remove them for a cleaner look. If you're interested, you might single some out and PM them to ask if they'd consider selling them.

I hope this helps.
My wife's old 2002 RX300 actually came with the rails and rack(cross bars.) I did read some time ago about people removing their rails for the cleaner look but I could find the posts so I figured, I'd just create a new post to ask if anybody has done what's I'm trying to accomplish.

If it is possible, the way I see it, it'll save me a little money because I won't have to buy the rails to attach to the car and then buy the rack (cross bars) to install on the rail system.

It sounds like the Lexus rails use the 4 slots to attach to the car and there isn't a way to buy racks (cross bars) that can attach to the car via the 4 slots like on a BMW 3 series.
Old 11-09-12, 10:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Please post any roof rails for sale in the RX classified thread please. I have removed all posts listing them here.
Old 11-11-12, 07:23 AM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack Cross Bars

I am looking to buy these for my wife's RX 450h 2012. Other than being factory OEM and fitting into the slots on the rails, any reason to go with a Lexus part? Anyone have any great/horrible experience with non-OEM part? I am going to buy by Black Friday so quick advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
Old 11-11-12, 08:21 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by f152tall
I am looking to buy these for my wife's RX 450h 2012. Other than being factory OEM and fitting into the slots on the rails, any reason to go with a Lexus part? Anyone have any great/horrible experience with non-OEM part? I am going to buy by Black Friday so quick advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

I had the OEM for my former 405h and it looked great, IMHO. Why Black Friday?
Old 11-11-12, 10:11 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go with OEM parts. You should be able to find a setup on Craig's List or ebay. Several people in this forum have removed them completely including myself.
Old 11-11-12, 03:55 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I had the OEM for my former 405h and it looked great, IMHO. Why Black Friday?
Figured crazy good deals and I like to get my shopping done early.
Old 11-11-12, 03:56 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I would go with OEM parts. You should be able to find a setup on Craig's List or ebay. Several people in this forum have removed them completely including myself.
I've seen a lot of folks take them off. Why? Lack of use? Looks? Drag?
Old 11-11-12, 07:24 PM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if these are available for the 450 but I was looking at them as an inexpensive fix to pop on and off when I need them.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-12-12, 09:07 AM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had to have dealer remove my 2013 crossbars; not a do-it-yourself project

Originally Posted by jimmymagic
I don't know if these are available for the 450 but I was looking at them as an inexpensive fix to pop on and off when I need them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
There is no easy way to do it yourself. Dealer took mine off for free.
If someone has the procdure I would love to see it.
There are no instructions in the manual and I tried for hours to get them off.
Old 11-12-12, 09:16 AM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MachineMan
I'm leaning more and more towards a $75 aftermarket that I can put on for a trip and take off in 5 minutes.
Old 11-12-12, 11:07 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

I saw some on the DC area Craigslist today. $250 which I think is more than Sewell with our discount. You should be able to confirm their price and negotiate him lower.
Old 11-12-12, 01:34 PM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MachineMan
Don't get me wrong. These are after-market crossbars and if you look at the pictures, they go on differently than OEM. Looks like it would take 10 minutes max.

Quick Reply: RX350 Roof Rack Removal