RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Spoiler rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 06:22 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spoiler rattle

Has anyone had a spoiler with a rattle/vibration that one could hear from the inside? My 2011
RX exhibited a low vibration noise that sounded like from the driver coming from the right rear.
I searched and searched, added insulation to the spare tire area, but could not locate it. Yesterday after washing the vehicle upon the completion of a 300 mile drive I just happened to tap on the license plate while drying and heard this rattle. Believe it or not it was coming from the spoiler. It is not the wiper assy., nor any loose molding. It sounds as though it is coming from behind the third brake light assy area as maybe a hard plastic covering the wire is rattling inside the cover. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's about to drive me nuts. Thanks.
Old 09-29-12, 11:07 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a lot of parts in that spoiler. Could be a number of things, off to the dealer.......
Old 09-29-12, 11:15 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you absolutely sure that it is not the little segment of the package cover that snaps in under the back window on the inside of the tailgate? These will make the sound you are describing if they are loose. If in doubt, remove it ... you can just put it back in if required. Also, you might want to remove the main package cover assembly to rule it out.
Old 09-30-12, 06:01 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hard to believe tapping on the license plate would cause a rattle in the spoiler. Something must be really loose or unattached.
Old 09-30-12, 06:23 AM
donmatt
Driver

Thanks folks for the input. The rattle is definitely in the spoiler just behind the 3rd brake light area. I will be taking mep's advice and off to the dealer next week as soon as I can get an appointment. Will advise on the problem when it is solved. Will appreciatae any other suggestions.
Old 09-30-12, 04:00 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Something loose in the spoiler, I would think tapping anywhere on the rear liftgate would make it rattle. Did you try tapping on the liftgate with the door open to see if it was in the hinge area? Not sure, but does anyone know if there are/is antenna in the spoiler?

At any rate, good luck at the dealers.
Old 09-30-12, 04:29 PM
donmatt
Driver

The rattle only ocurrs when you either tap the license plate or the area at the 3rd brake light. You can hit the hatch door outside and inside, glass, vehicle top but no rattle. I really think there is something located near the 3rd brake light that has come loose. Hopefully, will know next week.
Thanks,
Don

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Something loose in the spoiler, I would think tapping anywhere on the rear liftgate would make it rattle. Did you try tapping on the liftgate with the door open to see if it was in the hinge area? Not sure, but does anyone know if there are/is antenna in the spoiler?

At any rate, good luck at the dealers.
Old 10-04-12, 03:59 PM
donmatt
Driver

Just an update on the spoiler rattle. Service tech had no problem id the problem but no way to fix it. It appears that the top cover (shell) is what the rattle is. Stated he had never taken the spoiler apart before so I told him not to experiment with mine. We checked two "12s and they had the same sound as mine.This rattle is not transfering into the interior and I am really not certain that road bumps is causing it to rattle. Test drove over a very rough road several times, me driving with him in rear seat: then he drove and I rode in rear seat. Quiet as a mouse. No noise whatsoever. No one else can hear this noise but me so it must be in my ear. Anyway they stated they would do whatever it took to satisfy me but I declined any work because I was amprehensive what damage could be done to other areas with the work attempt It could be worse than before;. All is well. Great RX. Case closed.

Last edited by donmatt; 10-04-12 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling error