RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Camera under the right wing mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 12:21 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Camera under the right wing mirror

For those who have this device, I have discovered that there are 2 options to use it such as 'normal' and 'auto'.

So far I've used it as normal but on 'auto' position it's rather interesting (click on the left icon on the nav screen once the camera has been activated).

Then, on auto, the image displayed by the camera appears systematically when speed is below 10km/h (below 6mph). when you drive the image disappear but when driving very slowly image is displayed permanently.
Very interesting and practical when driving for a long time in cities, when doing shopping, want to park the car in car parking, countless maneuvers for parking, narrow streets, etc. very nice support to see what happens close to your car and you cannot see when driving.

Test it!
Old 10-12-12, 05:28 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes a most useful feature! On some occasions i wanted to use the navi and it did annoy me when it automatically switched to the camera when we slowed down. If only Lexus can make technology that can read my mind
Old 10-13-12, 08:29 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Yes a most useful feature! On some occasions i wanted to use the navi and it did annoy me when it automatically switched to the camera when we slowed down. If only Lexus can make technology that can read my mind
I di not notice in the RX guide where these functions are developed. I think that some parameters can be changed at the Car dealer (speed limit when camera can be switched off/on, etc.)
However, when you push the button you get the image you want.
Old 10-13-12, 11:13 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont find it useful to use. If I keep it on auto, passengers find it dizzying and distracting. If I dont use the auto, usually it wont allow me to turn it on because I am driving too fast. Plus it is hard to turn on while turning the steering wheel.

I also think that the resolution is too poor
Old 10-13-12, 02:53 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont find it useful to use. If I keep it on auto, passengers find it dizzying and distracting. If I dont use the auto, usually it wont allow me to turn it on because I am driving too fast. Plus it is hard to turn on while turning the steering wheel.

I also think that the resolution is too poor
keep passengers at the back !
Right, resolution could be better of course but for the help it provides it's quite good. The icone above the "auto" mode shows a zoom mode and the image displayed is worst (when you ask for a zoom around the right front wheel).
Lexus could have installed the same camera used for moving back.

On auto when driving in cities with small streets and a lot of maneuvers that's help a lot however and the principle of having such a device is quite good anyway
Old 10-15-12, 09:25 AM
Stanford9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the camera quite usefull when backing up into a marked parking spot. After positioning the vehicle with the reverse camera I then switch to the mirror camera to see how close I am to the painted line. It took me awhile to realize that you could switch cameras when in reverse.
Old 10-16-12, 11:01 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Theta's right Stan, any push to the button manually activates the order you want to display when you want to change view on screen.

I use a lot the right camera when manoeuvring in narrow spaces/streets in the city where I live and the picture gives you exactly the direction taken by the car (through yellow lines which change when turning the steering wheel) with blue-green lines showing permanently the "size" or "gauge" of the car.
In other words there are indicators like the one you have when reverse based on the angle you produce when turning the steering wheel.
It's really a nice device and not sure it is available in 2013 model (unless within a pack?)