RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trading my RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 10:12 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Trading my RX

My RX450h is the first SUV I have come in contact with, even for a ride. I have, at least for the last 15 years, owned comfortable riding sedans. I did test drive my RX before purchasing it, but when you live with a vehicle, you experience it without the initial excitement of owning a new car.

I have to say that my RX450h has some of the best and worst qualities of any vehicle I have owned. The pluses include the higher seating, comfortable seats, great fuel economy, quiet ride on smooth roads, great paint quality and nice size. On the down side for me are the roof height (at 5'6", pulling the ladder out to wash & wax the vehicle is a pain), the rattles and the ride on all but perfectly smooth roads.

But after owning a hybrid, I am completely sold on the technology. I am now waiting for my ES300h, which is in transit and due to arrive at the dealer at the end of this month. So I'm just moving a couple of doors away to the ES forum, but if you don't mind, I'll be back to visit every now and then. Thanks for responding to my sometimes stupid questions. I've been a part of several discussion groups over the years, but none with members who seem to as generally nice as you people. Thanks.
Old 10-13-12, 12:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Congrats on your ES300h, Mike. While it's sad to see you go, I can understand the RX is not for everyone. I'll envy your ability to wash your car without a step ladder. In fact I was just about to go outside and do exactly that, with a step ladder of course, LOL! Definitely tell us about your experience with the ES when it comes in and share some pictures. We'd love to see it. We're all family here.
Old 10-13-12, 12:48 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to the 'Announcement' party to see the ESh, I think you'll really like the style and overall car. After being in the nosebleed section for so long now, I don't think I could go small again. I like looking through windows in front of other SUV's to see what's up the road .
But stay in touch
Old 10-13-12, 01:25 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by kitlz
Congrats on your ES300h, Mike. While it's sad to see you go, I can understand the RX is not for everyone. I'll envy your ability to wash your car without a step ladder. In fact I was just about to go outside and do exactly that, with a step ladder of course, LOL! Definitely tell us about your experience with the ES when it comes in and share some pictures. We'd love to see it. We're all family here.
Thanks Anita. Since we're all family, I'll take you all for a ride, at the same time.
Old 10-13-12, 01:30 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I went to the 'Announcement' party to see the ESh, I think you'll really like the style and overall car. After being in the nosebleed section for so long now, I don't think I could go small again. I like looking through windows in front of other SUV's to see what's up the road .
But stay in touch
Jim, I have to admit, the high seating position and great visibility are qualities I will miss most. It always amazed me when I saw vehicles that formerly looked huge, somehow shrunk when looking out from the RX. First time in my life I felt I could be competitive playing basketball. Now I'll have to go back to riding competitive race horses.
Old 10-13-12, 08:23 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with the move. I am actually surprised with the move. I had a 2013 ES350 as a loaner. They are very nice car, but I am not sure if it is better than the RX. The car handles better, but barely. While the car doesn't rattle like the RX, but it is a lot noisier on the highway. The seats are also much harder than the standard leather on the RX too.
Old 10-14-12, 04:19 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by cossie1600
Good luck with the move. I am actually surprised with the move. I had a 2013 ES350 as a loaner. They are very nice car, but I am not sure if it is better than the RX. The car handles better, but barely. While the car doesn't rattle like the RX, but it is a lot noisier on the highway. The seats are also much harder than the standard leather on the RX too.
Hope I didn't give the impression that I consider the ES a better vehicle than he RX. Each of us is looking for something slightly different and given sales statistics more buyers agree with your preferences than mine.
Old 10-14-12, 04:47 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh no it is a fine vehicle and a good choice. i was just a little surprised that's all sorry
Old 10-14-12, 06:30 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the move! sad to see you go
How was the obsidian paint? seriously considering going for it or stargazer!
Old 10-14-12, 09:25 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by rayaans
Congrats on the move! sad to see you go
How was the obsidian paint? seriously considering going for it or stargazer!
I like Obsidian a lot. The finish was mirror-like and the chrome trim set it off well. Like all dark colors, you can see dust starting to cover the finish almost as soon as you finish washing it. But step 2 feet away and you don't see the dust. I have actually enjoyed washing and waxing it because unlike silver or other lighter colors (that stay cleaner longer), there's a dramatic difference after you wash and dry the finish. It does show water spots, so I use a detailer after I dry it. The only tiresome requirement for me was dragging the ladder out to reach the roof and part of the windshield to wash & wax it.

The ES300h I am getting is Nebula instead of Obsidian because for me, dark colors need chrome to set off the lines of the Vehicle and the new ES is pretty bland on the sides.
Old 10-14-12, 10:47 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I only use a step ladder when running a buffer. Regular washing I have some long handled tools to wash and spray wax. That helps a lot.

I left the roof rails on to make working on the roof a little bit easier when using a ladder.

Do like obsidian too!!
Old 10-15-12, 09:12 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

well the height isnt a problem for me. i have a little stepladder which is perfect for my current RX so it should be fine with the new one. How was the durability and the stone chips? apparently the obsidian is easier to chip and scratch?
Old 10-15-12, 09:49 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by rayaans
well the height isnt a problem for me. i have a little stepladder which is perfect for my current RX so it should be fine with the new one. How was the durability and the stone chips? apparently the obsidian is easier to chip and scratch?
I'm not aware of Obsidian being any less durable than other colors, but I have had mine for less than 4 months. I do have some small rock chips on the plastic bumper cover, but no more than I expected. With Obsidian, the rock chips don't show as much as other lighter colors I have owned, like silver. I bet the touchup paint blends better also.
Old 10-15-12, 02:42 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

That is very helpful. Thank you! Guess ill be going for obsidian now, definitely. The 06 RX i have now is onyx black and its a mother for scratches. hopefully Lexus have made the new paint much better!
Old 10-17-12, 04:19 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
On the down side for me are the roof height (at 5'6", pulling the ladder out to wash & wax the vehicle is a pain)...
Mike, for what it's worth, I'm 6'3" and still need a step ladder to reach the center of the roof area.

My wife has a ES 350 and plans to turn it in for a ES 300h when the lease is up. I believe the 2013 is built on the Avalon chassis as opposed to the Camry chassis so you should get a bit more leg room in the back vs previous MYs.