RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

To F-Sport or Not...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 10:50 AM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my F Sport for 2 months now. I wouldn't say the ride on mine is harsh at all. I switched from a 2010 RX 350 that I still have (wife's car now), so I still ride in both. I am happy with everything about the car except for a little bit of lag when the gas pedal is first pressed. I am still not used to it. The 8-speed transmission is great and the paddle shifters are fun to play with. I didn't care for the dark wheels when I first got it but they have grown on me. The best way to determine if it's for you is to test drive one. Good luck!
Old 11-06-12, 03:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up

So with all your positive feedback on the ride contradicting the automotive journalists, something was not right so I just had to test drive it myself.... did so today.

In short, IMPRESSIVE. I totally agree with you guys. The journalists are way off. The ride and handling are better than I expected. Yes, it's a little firmer than my RXh but more compliant than my CT and the CT is not that bad. Nowhere near harsh territory bone-injuring and rattle inducing as alluded. The F felt very composed, stable and solid, with minimal body roll. Bumps were soaked up well, dare I say nearly as well as my RXh, without the floatiness and "jello-wabble".

I was also pleased with the 8-speed tranny/paddle shifter combo regarding the smoothness and fun aspect, but agree, there's a half a second lag on the start for some strange reason. I wonder if the tranny was taken from the LS and if the LS has the same delay.

NVH was impressive. Going back to early reviews on the '10 RX compared to the '09 where journalists have stated Gen 2 was quieter than Gen 3, so I was expecting a louder ride especially due to the 19" wheels/tires. Did Lexus make mods to the sound deadening in the '13 model? I found the F had less tire noise than my '07 RXh (with relatively new tires). I never test drove a '10-'12 model though.

I still am not fond of the all black interior though I must admit, I left the dealer liking it a notch more. The overall dash, gauges, center stack, NAV display and center console/arm rest/remote touch wraps and cocoons the driver nicely and I can "understand" the philosophy behind sport = black. In fact, when I went back in my RXh on my way home, I felt for the first time it may be getting a little long in the tooth and realized a guy my age (37) married with 2 young kids should be in a F-Sport (likely target demographic), not a Gen 2 Bamboo Pearl/Tan RX.

Another gripe of mine (and this is for us Canadians only), is the lack of technology features available. My current RXh has all the bells and whistles (for its time) including the Mark Levinson and rear DVD entertainment system. Can't get a rear DVD in the F-Sport unless you go aftermarket. Wife especially not happy about this and she's told me if I get my new toy, it better have the same features as the current one (Happy wife, happy life). As for me, I'm disappointed you can't get Enform/Apps, Blind spot monitoring and pre-collision, the latter only available on the RX450h "Ultra Premium Package" (requiring $70K + tax)

Finally, the wheels. Unfortunately, no improvement here. Still not liking the dark color. I have yet to see a Nebula Gray or Black F-sport where the wheels may work better on these colors??? Any one with real-world pictures they can post?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-09-12, 04:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Smile Made a decision... (To F-Sport or Not...)

After all the soul searching, checking out colors in the flesh, and convincing myself of the new cost, it was between the black and nebula grey. In an perfect world, black is the best but dust, dirt, and rocks has a greater negative visual impact the than a lighter color in my opinion.

I signed on a new Nebula Grey F-Sport. As some have stated, it has the best wheel/paint "harmony" to the overall look. Same with a GS, CT, and new LS, in my view... So getting it next week. Can't wait! Our RX 400h (traded in) served us very well and will be missed. Thanks for all your input.
Old 11-09-12, 07:12 AM
cubu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the new toy! the lag you are experiencing is most likely DBW lag. the transmission finds and shifts gears quickly from my experience.
Old 11-09-12, 12:16 PM
JohnS
Driver

What luxury features does one give up when choosing the F-Sport?
Old 11-09-12, 03:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

In Canada, on the F-Sport, we can't get the pre-collision, blind spot, parking sensors, rear DVDs amongst the major features (which is a bummer). I think in the US you can get most of those options.
Old 11-09-12, 07:53 PM
Fat Cat
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations corradoMR2!! What kind of a deal you get down east? Is your F-sport made in Japan or here in Canada? I will be looking for one in Vancouver soon.
Old 11-10-12, 06:04 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Fat Cat
Congratulations corradoMR2!! What kind of a deal you get down east? Is your F-sport made in Japan or here in Canada? I will be looking for one in Vancouver soon.
I got a good deal, 2800$ off MSRP although buying my third Lexus from the same dealer and sales consultant in the last 4 years helps! Also, rates are pretty low now until Jan at 2.5% and adding a 10K security deposit brings it down even further to only 1%...

It is Canadian built and although I should have some pride, I would have preferred a "Made in Japan" stamp. Apparently my dealer told me all the F-Sports sold in Canada come from Canada. Not sure about the US. I would believe that if you are willing to wait and push hard enough, maybe one from Japan can be requested especially being on the W Coast and "proximity" to Japan versus my GTA location. I'm worried about one thing and that's the fit of the tranny plastic cover on the dash and its alignment with the curve that moves up around HVAC. A couple F-Sports (all Made in Canada) I've seen the last couple weeks at the dealers had some form of misalignment there. The couple RX450h I saw didn't (Made in Japan)... hmmm coincidence or is there more to it? I won't lose sleep over this since the good thing is if there's a misalignment or squeak/rattle issue, Lexus will fix these without fuss. I'll get it done at the complimentary 1600km (and 8000 km) oil change if need be.

Good luck with the RX car shopping. Now's a good time to buy.
Old 11-10-12, 06:58 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe all regular RX and RX F Sport being sold in US are made in Canada, with VIN started with 2. Only RX 450Hs are made in Japan with VIN started with J.

If you go to www.google.com/cars and search for 2013 RX, it displays participating dealers' inventory with VIN shown.

Ya I too prefer to have made-in-Japan one, but hybrid model is simply too expensive (4-6K more) and premium fuel is required, not quite justified for my case.
Old 11-10-12, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I have an '07 RXh and '11 CT and love them both. I enjoy the RX's serene plushness on the longer trips, but enjoy my CT's sportier look and handling over the RX as a daily city commuter as it is more fun to drive.

So far, the reviews on the RX 350 F-Sport are somewhat negative regarding the comfort. They say the ride is noticeably firmer than the RX and in "harsh" territory. I would have preferred the comments firm/taut yet still comfortable, but haven't seen that yet unless it's part of Lexus marketing...

At one point, I owned an 09' Venza V6 with the 20 in wheels and journalists made similar complaints about harshness. I must say they were spot on and worst, not only did some of those imperfections transfer into the cabin, it resulted in some minor rattles, creaks, and steering looseness after a just few months of ownership. Got rid of it after a year for a used '07 RX which is to this day rattle/squeak free 99.9% of the time. Is this partly because of the softer suspension??

I love the F-Sport look and it would compliment my CT so well.I want to buy it but wouldn't want to experience a harsh ride and worse get squeaks and rattles soon after as a result. If the "harshness" or comfort is similar to my CT, it's not that bad and a good compromise between comfort and handling. If it's like the Venza V6, it's a deal breaker. Before committing to a test drive and the endless sales rep followup phone calls, has anyone driven the F-Sport, Venza, and CT to provide some real-world driving comparative feedback on the F-Sport? Thanks!
Have you test drove both? I woulnt get a F sport if it were me. The RX F sport is not the same "ground up" type design as the GS or LS. The RX was added after the fact.

I'd go for the regular RX if plushness is what you want.
Old 11-19-12, 05:32 PM
LexFather

I also have no idea wtf reviewers are talking about in regards to the ride. I can only asses they don't like the feel/sound when it hits a huge pothole or something but most any car has issues with that save a Rolls Royce. My wife and I love the looks inside and out, the drive and the overall nature of the F-sport to a standard RX. Not worried about the dark wheels b/c if we pull the trigger we will add some Vossen's

To me its a great addition to the Lexus RX lineup.
Old 11-20-12, 06:26 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by cubu
congrats on the new toy! the lag you are experiencing is most likely DBW lag. the transmission finds and shifts gears quickly from my experience.
This alone would sell me on an F-Sport over my standard RX350. I HATE the way it shifts.
Old 11-29-12, 08:11 PM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2010 RX350 with Sport Package, which has a sport-tuned suspension. Has anybody who has driven the 2010 with Sport Package compared it to the F-Sport?
Old 11-30-12, 01:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

^^ Me too. One of these days I'll have to test drive an F-Sport to see the difference with my RX450h Sport. My dealer had one in obsidian when I was there yesterday for service. Combined with the black interior it was definitely drool worthy. FWIW, I had a '13 RX350 loaner with 18" tires and thought that ride was a bit harsh. Couldn't wait to get back into my 450h with its firm yet smoother ride.
Old 11-30-12, 02:42 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the 2010 sport package really different htan the basic car?

Quick Reply: To F-Sport or Not...