RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What do you want in the 4RX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 06:35 AM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you want in the 4RX?

Hello Everyone,

I read this forum every day but I rarely post apart from when I first bought my car back in 2009. I have been very happy with my car and I will likely buy another RX in the future as reliability is a big factor for me (my previous car was an Audi, plagued with problems). Im sure there are plenty of others here that are also waiting for the next generation to arrive even though it is a few years off. I guess we may start seeing pictures at the end of 2014 and sales to start in spring 2015 as a 2016 model. Unless it is extremely ugly, I will be buying one. My wish list for the 4RX is below. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts and wish lists too.

1. Similar price point to the current RX (even better if Canadian pricing was lowered closer to US pricing, if not I might have to buy my next RX in the US)
2. Symmetrical centre dash, I havent read about others complaining about this, but I just dont see how current curved centre dash is attractive. Having said that, I still bought the 3RX with its curved dash. A centre dash like the 4GS would be ideal.
3. Third row seating option would be great for me, but I cant see this happening
4. The gear lever next to the Nav mouse so there is more of a car feel rather than truck feel.
5. A smaller price difference between the 350 and hybrid. The difference here is roughly $7,000 plus 15% tax which I can not justify. With hybrids becoming more mainstream now I am hoping for a smaller premium. If it were to be $5,000 extra (tax inc) over the 350 I would get the hybrid.
6. Button that turns the car in to full time four wheel drive (at all speeds, not just at low speeds like we have now)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jason

Last edited by euroja153; 11-22-12 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-22-12, 08:43 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your wishes are pretty much Canadian issues so they aren't directly transferable to US sold cars.

1. Low volume of Canadian market and the way cars are sold in Canada, i.e. overpriced imo. A lot of this is government driven.
2. Asymetrical dash doesn't bother me in the least. Looks fine to me.
3. 3rd row seating isn't in the RX design portfolio.....won't happen.
4. Mouse, shift lever ..... never gave it a thought. Doesn't bother me.
5. It's market driven, if people want to pay more for a hybrid the market will let them, and charge the appropriate price for the luxury. Most people don't want, or need, a hybrid drive system.
6. Could happen, but again, won't affect most people who only need 2WD vehicles.

I think they need to work on the simple things like more convenient power outlets and better integration of iPods and phones into the system, sunglass holder, lighted overhead buttons, the simple things that seem to have been overlooked or compromised. And how about finally giving us an odometer that shows mileage and trip mileage at the same time.
Old 11-22-12, 05:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I agree with Evitzee to improve some of the creature comforts. In addition, I'd like:

1. The return of the height adjustable air suspension in earlier Gen 2 models.
2. Foot operated power tail gate a la Ford Escape.
3. Roll up sun visors in the rear doors.
4. Rear HVAC controls.
5. Heated and ventilated rear seat.
6. Built in child booster seat.
7. With upcoming 2014/2015 new compact 5-passenger crossover Lexus NX200T / 300h, make the RX a native 7-passenger design to better compete with Infiniti JX and Acura MDX.
8. Lane keep assist.
9. Add a red and blue paint option unique to the F-Sport.
10. Offer hybrid powertrain or higher output engine for the F-Sport.
11. Offer different interior color options on the F-Sport besides just black.
12. Offer Eco, Norm, Sport dial to vary throttle, steering, and suspension intensity on the F-Sport.
13. All around view cameras. The existing one is very basic.
14. Blu-ray RES with USB and SD card slots.
15. 12.3" Nav display as with the GS/LS.
16. High-res color LED in the gauge cluster replacing the single color low res display.

17. Last but not least, and most important to me is enhance the build quality like we once experienced in the Gen1 and 2. Little things like adding felt at manufacturing in between plastic and metal parts that would otherwise squeak and rattle will considerably enhance the Lexus ownership experience.
Old 11-22-12, 06:35 PM
LexFather

RX 450h F sport like in Europe
RX 460 F sport or an F sport with more power
Cabernet interior option like the GS and next IS F sport
Larger NAV screen like the GS and LS
Variable suspension like the new GS and LS
Old 11-23-12, 07:07 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Fix the damned shift programming. My 2010 is too damned slow to downshift. If it wasn't, if it shifted like my IS350 or even the last generation RX, I'd be keeping it at the end of the lease.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-23-12 at 07:25 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-23-12, 07:25 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

For the radio to stay on for 10 minutes or untiol you open the door when you shut the car off!
Old 11-23-12, 02:21 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
For the radio to stay on for 10 minutes or untiol you open the door when you shut the car off!
Perhaps Lexus just needs to implement some logic in the computer.

If engine is running and car is in park - turn off everything when start button pressed

If engine is running and car is in park and brake pedal is depressed - turn off engine when start button is pressed and the brake pedal is returned to its zero force detent within 2 seconds of the start button press (preserves the hydraulic boost for the soft pedal on the next startup).

My other wishes would be to move the shifter as the first poster mentioned. I'll also wish the shaft on it was a bit wider - makes the car feel flimsy when the shifter for a 4500+ vehicle is less than a cm in diameter (yes I know its electronic, but come on!).

Also, more leather and less plastic. Plastiwood trim should not be found anywhere near a luxury vehicle.

The heated/ventilated seats need some improvement with the airflow and the heating element distribution.
Old 11-23-12, 02:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd give a fuller list when I have time, but for me,

1. More Roundish back like that of the 1st generation RX (though they have been improving this).
2. More power. When the 1st gen RX came to the U.S. (it was the Toyota Harrier for the 1997 and 1998 model years), it's 220 hp 3.0 engine was very much up there compared to other SUVs of its time. Lexus needs to get back up there. I wouldn't mind seeing a turbocharger finally make its appearance after years of a supercharger being an aftermarket option through certain groups.
Old 11-26-12, 09:31 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by euroja153
Hello Everyone,

I read this forum every day but I rarely post apart from when I first bought my car back in 2009. I have been very happy with my car and I will likely buy another RX in the future as reliability is a big factor for me (my previous car was an Audi, plagued with problems). Im sure there are plenty of others here that are also waiting for the next generation to arrive even though it is a few years off. I guess we may start seeing pictures at the end of 2014 and sales to start in spring 2015 as a 2016 model. Unless it is extremely ugly, I will be buying one. My wish list for the 4RX is below. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts and wish lists too.

1. Similar price point to the current RX (even better if Canadian pricing was lowered closer to US pricing, if not I might have to buy my next RX in the US)
2. Symmetrical centre dash, I havent read about others complaining about this, but I just dont see how current curved centre dash is attractive. Having said that, I still bought the 3RX with its curved dash. A centre dash like the 4GS would be ideal.
3. Third row seating option would be great for me, but I cant see this happening
4. The gear lever next to the Nav mouse so there is more of a car feel rather than truck feel.
5. A smaller price difference between the 350 and hybrid. The difference here is roughly $7,000 plus 15% tax which I can not justify. With hybrids becoming more mainstream now I am hoping for a smaller premium. If it were to be $5,000 extra (tax inc) over the 350 I would get the hybrid.
6. Button that turns the car in to full time four wheel drive (at all speeds, not just at low speeds like we have now)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jason
1. allow to choose ventilation direction (floor, dash, windshield) independently like dash+windshield (not available now)
2. better handling/less body roll
3 less rattles
4. Please NO third row because usually it is almost unusable, but the designers "move" second row forward=less knee space in 2nd row
5. Better sound-proofing
Old 11-28-12, 08:49 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

for the RX450h:
1) 3.5 litre atkinson cycle engine from the 4th gen GS450h. it has 292HP!!!
2) CVT from the 4th gen GS450h
3) Electric motors from 4th gen GS450h
4) NO THIRD ROW, THANK YOU!!

According to my calculations, with the 3.5 litre engine from the GS450h along with the battery pack and the motors, the Lexus RX will have a maximum output of somewhere between 330-350hp. As the drag coefficient is slightly higher, being 0.32 in the RX and 0.27 in the GS along with the RX's GROSS WEIGHT, being 2700kg and the GS's being 2325kg, the engine combination should propel the RX from 0-62mph (0-100kph) in about 6.5 to 7.0 seconds without affecting the fuel economy too much.
Old 11-28-12, 08:32 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Dear Santa or Toyota Motor Company lol...

I wish the next generation RX will have:
1. Ability to zoom in and out with the middle button without have to turn on the "zoom soft button."
2. illumination of the overhead console buttons. I don't know why no buttons on the console from homelink to map lights do not have back light.
3. Bigger Navigation Screen
5. Better XM integration the car I traded Audi A6 I could view all channels by name and sort by genre.
6. Better looking clock.
7. More plug sockets.
8. Bring back the grocery bag holder cubby from the last generation RX
9. Bring back the cargo covers that auto releases when the trunk is open.
10. Wider reversing camera I can't see the bumper edges.
11. Electronic parking with Auto Hold at stop lights
12. Start/Stop Engine
13. Better AWD system with similar capabilities as X Drive so the car has better ability to climb icy hills.
14. Seat cushion extenders
15. Lumbar goes up and down.
16. Lane Tracking
17. Pedestrian Alert though Volvo probably owns the patent.
18. Panorama roof option.

Few minor things I miss from my old car:
1. Unlocking of all doors once the drivers door is open even after the car has been off for 10 seconds or more. Currently I have to open the drivers door within a few seconds of shutting off the engine for all doors to unlock.
2. When rear door is locked passenger can pull the door handle twice to unlock it.
3. When I pull on the rear locked door the smart key should detect it. For some reason I must first touch the front doors for the rear doors to unlock.
4. When using the remote unlock if I already have unlocked the drivers door it should know that when I push unlock again no matter the delay to unlock all doors as the front door is unlocked.
5. Radio stays on when the car is off.
6. Ability to run the heater with the car being off.
7. Auto defog and recirculation.
8. Full size spare.
9. Ability to see PSI in 4 main tires and 5th wheel the spare.
10. Windows wont open from remote unless the remote is pointed in direct view of the car. Other functions don't need direct site.

But the good from the RX truly out weigh any minor oversights compared to my old car. The Germans do pay attention to very small "user friendly" details. Very happy with my choice of the RX though!

Last edited by satnav; 11-28-12 at 08:44 PM.