RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Leather Wear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 08:50 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leather Wear?

So this is my first car, it was hand down from my mom and I have had the car since March when I turned 16. So like any other teenage boy I really car about my car and actually I have burning passion for cars funny thing is I am the petrol head out of me and my GF you know what shee drives? A freakin '11 MB E63 AMG.

So to the point my '10 RX has a little over 15,000 miles on it right now and I think my leather on the front two seats has been severely damaged from standing in the sun at school. So what can I do to fix my leather and o prevent this from happening again???
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind

Here are some pictures of the front driver and passenger seat...

Driver

Passenger

Last edited by MjThind; 11-30-12 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 11-29-12, 10:31 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Anybody???
Old 11-29-12, 10:49 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjthind
Anybody???
You need to have patience, Mjthind. Is very late here on the east coast and getting late there in your timezone. You will probably see more responses by the end of the weekend. In the meantime...

All leather should be cleaned and treated. I have the grey interior so fading is less obvious. The creases you see on yours is all too common no matter how well you care for your seats and leather.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...x-3rd-gen.html

Consider a leather cleaner and conditioner such as the products from Lexol.

Consider checking out the Automotive Care & Detailing forum here at Club Lexus:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

Consider a sunshade for the front window and dashboard when you have to leave your vehicle parked outside if you do not already have one. Standard requirement here in FL.

Consider a light tint for the front windows to block more of the harmful UVA and UVB rays. Darker does not mean better. Consult with a company selling Formula One Window Film or similar in your area.
Old 11-29-12, 11:19 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestion but I just got ticket for tinted front windows last month but I will look into Lexol...
Old 11-29-12, 11:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestion but I just got ticket for tinted front windows last month but I will look into Lexol...
You used a color tint. That is not allowed in CA -- I am aware. Tinting can refer to just the film, can be clear and still do the job. Have friends in CA. Pulled the following from:

http://genesistinting.com/automotive

California Window Tint Law Explained
We get the question asked every day, “Is it legal to tint my front windows?” The answer is, a very confident and loud, “YES.” The Sacramento window tinting law was modified on January 1st 1999 to allow “clear, colorless, and transparent material” to be “applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays.” (Source: http://www.chp.ca.gov). According to the California window tinting law your front driver and passenger door windows must have a minimum of 70% visible light transmission (VLT) with or without film. Most cars have a very slight factory tint integrated into the glass (approx.12% shading/88% VLT) which is useless against the heat spectrum or harmful UV rays. Ceramic Air Blue 80 film offers the highest heat rejection and when applied to factory glass will be in compliance with the legal limit of 70% VLT required by law. Genesis Window Tinting provides you with documentation to support compliance along with your warranty card and care instructions.
Old 11-29-12, 11:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That sucks man. I had my old Cadillac Fleetwood tinted 20% all the way around except the windshield for years and the cops never hassled me. 20% is the same as the dark glass on SUV's.

As for leather care products, leatherique is freaking awesome in keeping your leather moist and healthy.

http://www.leatherique.com/

Also, see if you can't con your parents into selling the RX and buying you something that isn't a mommy mobile. Pitch it like this, they sell the mommy-mobile for like 30k, they buy you whatever you want(within reason, as I'm sure they won't go for a V8 Trans Am) for like 15k, and put the other 15k in your college fund.

Last edited by Aron9000; 11-29-12 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 12:28 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That sucks man. I had my old Cadillac Fleetwood tinted 20% all the way around except the windshield for years and the cops never hassled me. 20% is the same as the dark glass on SUV's.
In many areas of CA they will ticket you for the littlest things and are experts in getting you for anything and everything.

In NJ, if I remember correct, you cannot put window tint of any kind on the driver or passenger front windows. Clear or otherwise, without a medical waiver.

One needs to be very careful when having the windows tinted, be aware of the local laws, and select a reputable shop who will stand behind their work if there is a problem. Too many shops will agree to put on whatever you ask for and you end up in trouble like Mjthind did. Then if you move be aware the new location may not have the same regulations.
Old 11-30-12, 04:51 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000

As for leather care products, leatherique is freaking awesome in keeping your leather moist and healthy.

http://www.leatherique.com/

Also, see if you can't con your parents into selling the RX and buying you something that isn't a mommy mobile. Pitch it like this, they sell the mommy-mobile for like 30k, they buy you whatever you want(within reason, as I'm sure they won't go for a V8 Trans Am) for like 15k, and put the other 15k in your college fund.
Thanks I will look in to that, but as for selling the RX(actually like it) not yet next year, my dad said if keep my GPA over a 4.0, like I am this year and did last year, he will upgrade me into a brandnew GS350 F Sport or IS-F. As for a college fund I didn't know this until couple months ago but my parents have over a $100K saved for me because freshmen year I told them I wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon and haven't changed my decision since and now I am a junior. Plus they don't except any less of me because my older brother is also an orthopedic surgeon, my older sister is a dermatologist, and out of all my 30 cousins no one is less than a physician.