RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

removing and cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 11:14 AM
Ichthys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing and cleaning throttle body

Can anybody provide instructions along with pictures for removal and cleaning of throttle body on 2010 RX350?
Mine just turned 50,000.
I also ordered a K&N filter to replace stock one.
Any other maintneance items I can do while I have the engine shrouds all removed?
Old 12-12-12, 12:47 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

Just spray clean the throttle body while it is in place on the engine. No need to remove it if it is not broken. Get some throttle body spray, not carbureator cleaner as the tb spray will not damage any coatings inside the tb. Spray, scrub with an old toothbrush, open the throttle plate, spray farther back inside and scrub some more, let it soak a while before starting. It will run rough at first. If it throws a code, ignore it and it will go away in a day or two.
Old 12-15-12, 08:13 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ichthys
Can anybody provide instructions along with pictures for removal and cleaning of throttle body on 2010 RX350?
Mine just turned 50,000.
I also ordered a K&N filter to replace stock one.
Any other maintneance items I can do while I have the engine shrouds all removed?
I agree there is no need to remove and clean the throttle body unless its very dirty. As for other things to do I would:
Basically get a rag and wipe all dirt and clean all around.
Spray all electrical connectors with an electrical spray.
Inspect vacuum hoses for fitting, condition of hose.
Inspect water hoses for fitting, any leaks, condition.
Old 12-15-12, 11:46 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

car has drive by wire.....
Old 12-17-12, 07:46 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
car has drive by wire.....
Drive-by-wire means instead of a mechanical linkage between the gas pedal and the throttle, it is now replace by electronic linkage and a microcomputer, you still need a throttle body. I am sure because you can buy a throttle body for an RX.
Old 12-18-12, 07:38 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Drive-by-wire means instead of a mechanical linkage between the gas pedal and the throttle, it is now replace by electronic linkage and a microcomputer, you still need a throttle body. I am sure because you can buy a throttle body for an RX.
It also means it is inside the intake tubes and you can't snap it open easily like the traditional ones...
Old 03-16-13, 09:35 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

How hard is it to clean the throttle body?
Old 03-20-13, 10:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

Buy throttle body intake cleaner spray. Remove air intake hose where it attaches to throttle body (be sure you know what a throttle body looks like and where it would be located). Be sure car is off. spray cleaner inside throttle body and wipe with rag. Have friend press gas pedal in car to open throttle plate so you can now spray further inside the throttle body and on the other side of the plate. Spray and wipe clean. Spray more and let sit. Wait 10 minutes to start car. Use this time to reattach intake hoses. It may be hard to start, wait until it idles smooth before driving off. Also add a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner or Red Line fuel system cleaner to gas tank.
Old 03-20-13, 11:13 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure how this would work in the 350, but with drive by wire in the 450h, you can't even rev the engine. It's completely electronically controlled and in park or neutral the accelerator has no useful function. Only in drive or reverse does it even work. So with the engine off (or even on with the 450h) pressing or pumping the accelerator would have no effect at the throttle body.
Originally Posted by Clutchless
Have friend press gas pedal in car to open throttle plate so you can now spray further inside the throttle body and on the other side of the plate.
Old 03-20-13, 01:34 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] with drive by wire in the 450h, you can't even rev the engine.
It is possible if you put the hybrid system in "inspection mode". It's one of those put the shifter here, press the pedal, put the shifter there, press the pedal, spin two times with your left index finger on your nose kind of procedures. But once you do, the engine will stay running, and the gas pedal will allow you to raise and hold the rpm somewhat.
Old 03-20-13, 05:25 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL, I think I'll leave that to the shop if necessary.
Originally Posted by Droid13
It is possible if you put the hybrid system in "inspection mode". It's one of those put the shifter here, press the pedal, put the shifter there, press the pedal, spin two times with your left index finger on your nose kind of procedures. But once you do, the engine will stay running, and the gas pedal will allow you to raise and hold the rpm somewhat.
The following users liked this post:
Flyingwrench (04-30-24)
Old 03-21-13, 08:52 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
LOL, I think I'll leave that to the shop if necessary.
I might do the same, especially now that my cars out of the bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 03-22-13, 04:05 AM
Ichthys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the throttle body cleaning job, following instructions on this thread.
I also replaced stock air filter element with K&N filter.
I disconnected battery during this procedure.
Then I put it back together and took it for a "spirited" ride!
It certainly improved the response.
Old 04-04-24, 07:43 PM
Canucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that our cars are 10+ years old thought I'd clean the throttle body. Mine has 170000km or 105k miles. My car at times had a hesitation from a slow rolling start. Cleaning the TB has seemingly improved this although it was just one test drive after this was completed.

Some videos on YT show removing the air box and disconnecting the MAF sensor. None of that is necessary on our model. Remove the air filter for some room and undo both clamps on the end of the intake hose and you can finesse it out of the way enough to access the TB. If you remove the big vacuum hose from the intake hose it's a real PITA to get back in so try and to it without would be my advice.

Happy cleaning!

Edit: just confirming after a day of driving and multiple trips out the hesitation on slow rolling starts I was experiencing is now gone.

Last edited by Canucks; 04-05-24 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
doji (04-27-24)
Old 04-14-24, 09:52 PM
doji
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious if the wiper cowl needs to be removed to have easier access to remove the air cleaner box and get a direct shot to the throttle body? Just wondering given the tight space. Would like to attempt on mine with 145k miles. Still runs smooth and has the original spark plugs on.

Quick Reply: removing and cleaning throttle body