RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 Paint Defect - HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 03:36 PM
hoang27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 Paint Defect - HELP!!!!!

I have found great information from the forum and am looking for help with my situation.

I just picked up my 2013 RX350 in Stargazer Black with saddle tan interior. I was so exited because I custom ordered it with all of the options that I wanted including the new appearance package. I even requested that the dealer not touch or wash the car because my husband ONLY hand washes our cars. We picked up the car on a Saturday evening and were so exited to get it home and wash it for the first time and see the paint glisten in the sunlight. After washing the car, we noticed imperfections in the paint. As we looked closer, it was spread around the car. If you are all familiar with Stargazer Black, it is a metallic black. So here's the problem, there looks like there were imperfections in the actual paint job underneath the clear coat. What it looks like was that when they painted the car, the paint was not applied evenly so therefore there are areas of the car that show up under the sun that looks like smears underneath the paint. The areas affected are above the creases on both fenders, passenger rear section after the back door and areas around the liftgate. We contacted the dealer on that Monday and were told by the salesperson to call Lexus Corporate.

We were told by Corporate to take the car into the dealership and have them take a look. The sales manager stated that he had seen this in the past and it was just a problem during curing of the paint and the car just needed additional time to cure at a body shop. He was wrong. That did not fix the problem. There was also a rep from corporate there that took a look at the problem and offered to repaint the affected areas of the car. I refuse this solution because this is a brand new car that I custom ordered and waited 6 weeks for. I am now in talks with the dealership and am demanding a discount on the purchase price or a brand new car in exchange for this one. They are asking me what I feel I should get out of this and what would make me happy. Does anyone have any ideas or been in the same situation? I would really like some advice on the correct protocol on this issue. I would appreciate any advice.
Old 12-03-12, 03:45 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the paint or clear coat is applied unevenly because it is applied my robots. More so it was probably prematurely moved in to the production line not allowing to cure for required amount of time(demand is really high for the '13), obviously once the paint is dry there is no point what so ever to put it back in a curing booth...

Last edited by MjThind; 12-03-12 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-12, 05:30 PM
hoang27
Driver School Candidate

Hello Mjthind,

I understand what you mean. The dealer even tried to fix it with a heat gun. I insisted there was no way that this would work considering it looks like its under the Clear coat. I gave them the benefit and said go ahead, as I thought, nothing. I understand that their paint job is supposed to be great, but unfortunately, this was not the case. So much for quality control.

Thank you for your insight.
Old 12-03-12, 05:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

a picture would be helpful. I too have stargazer black and its a beautiful color when clean and detailed
Old 12-03-12, 06:45 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree with RXSF, a picture would be helpful.

Originally Posted by Mjthind
I don't think the paint or clear coat is applied unevenly because it is applied my robots. More so it was probably prematurely moved in to the production line not allowing to cure for required amount of time(demand is really high for the '13), obviously once the paint is dry there is no point what so ever to put it back in a curing booth...
Reading this seems to imply that the assembly line was sped up to meet production demands. Hopefully mother Lexus wouldn't do that, but rather add more hours per shift or add additional shifts. Cutting the time in a bake oven doesn't seem like something they'd do. Humans and robots inspect the cars, someone or something missed something. In Cambridge, they seem to constantly touch and feel the car, perhaps someone touched it too soon. Mistakes do happen.

A defect under the clear coat could only occur at the factory and would seem to me to be a warranty issue not solved, for me at least, by repainting. Clear coat damage can occur from the moment it leaves the bake oven until you take it home. A lot of finger pointing can take place.
Old 12-03-12, 06:57 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Agree with RXSF, a picture would be helpful.

Reading this seems to imply that the assembly line was sped up to meet production demands. Hopefully mother Lexus wouldn't do that, but rather add more hours per shift or add additional shifts. Cutting the time in a bake oven doesn't seem like something they'd do. Humans and robots inspect the cars, someone or something missed something. In Cambridge, they seem to constantly touch and feel the car, perhaps someone touched it too soon. Mistakes do happen.

A defect under the clear coat could only occur at the factory and would seem to me to be a warranty issue not solved, for me at least, by repainting. Clear coat damage can occur from the moment it leaves the bake oven until you take it home. A lot of finger pointing can take place.
I didn't mean it that way, it just a possibility, what I meant to say is prematurely touched or inspected...
Old 12-03-12, 07:15 PM
hoang27
Driver School Candidate

I agree that this is probably what happened during production. My question to everyone is how should I go about getting this issue rectified with Lexus. This is my 6th Lexus. I've owned a '02 ES300, '05 GX470, '07 IS350, '07 GS350 and '08 LS460 and now this RX350. I have never had major issues with any other vehicle and am disappointed with this car. What would you all do if you were in my position? Would you request a new car? I am open to suggestions.
Old 12-03-12, 07:17 PM
hoang27
Driver School Candidate

I will try to post photos once its sunny here. It's been gloomy and its hard to see the defect because of it being black. Hopefully I can show you what I am dealing with.
Old 12-04-12, 06:17 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

It's hard to guess what I would do without understanding how bad it looks. Normally, I would agree with you ... it's a new car, and I would want it to be perfect when I got it. However, I've had recent experience with 2 cars where they "fixed" an issue, and I honestly can't see where it isn't perfect.

I would consider giving them a chance to fix it, with the understanding that if you aren't satisfied, they'll take it to the next level. You might be surprised at how well it comes out. I know I was, and I'm a nut about caring for my cars. In both cases, within a month or 2, a good detail (usually the first weekend), and a few hand washes ..... I realize I've completely forgotten there was ever a problem.
Old 12-04-12, 05:13 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would request a new vehicle that is what you paid for, not some patched up used car. Sounds to me from your description that the robotic sprayer for that area had a problem, clogged tip or the likes. There is nothing like factory paint and the quality of the 'body shop' paints is not the same as what the factory uses. Good Luck and post pictures if you can, they always help us understand the situation better.
Old 12-05-12, 12:44 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoang27
What would you all do if you were in my position? Would you request a new car?.
Differently YES! and even money.
Old 12-05-12, 02:24 PM
hoang27
Driver School Candidate

I spoke to the Lexus dealer and they are pushing Lexus corporate for a new car or a discount of $4000. I'll have to wait to see what happens.
Old 12-06-12, 01:19 PM
cubu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with MEP7557, I would request a new car. The factory paint cannot be matched, typically. If you are worried about the imperfections now, I feel you will not be happy with a paint job.
Old 01-07-13, 12:13 PM
hoang27
Driver School Candidate

So I have met with Lexus corporate on three separate occasions and they have finally offered to switch out my RX. Should I ask for anything for all my troubles? What do you all think. Some accessories would be nice. What is the protocol.
Old 01-07-13, 12:23 PM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

It looks like you came out pretty good considering many other mfgs would tell you to pound sand (maybe not in so many words).

I would at least try to get some oil changes and gas fill ups.

Congrats on a good outcome.

Quick Reply: 2013 RX350 Paint Defect - HELP!!!!!