RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thoughts on 3M Invisishield

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 08:41 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
I just got word from a person who lives here in Dallas, who actually recommended me not to get a clear bra kit at all. He said that when it comes off, it will leave uneven paint wear when it comes off and that if it has to be removed, it will leave tan lines. Any folks on CL who live in Dallas have any thoughts on this?
imo...I would get the front of the hood, side fenders and back of side mirrors and be done with it. Most installers will do this as this is a very common job done on Lexus, mercedes, audi etc. not trying to be inconsiderate but dont sweat the small stuff and stress so much on this. The bumber will minimal effect imo...the hood will show chips etc more than any other part of veh, but even then it doesnt sit that low so mayn mot be big issue. Ii have local installer that i use in Houston that does all work for infiniti, lexus on North side of Houston, but this doesnt help you. Good luck with sale on Wed and go enjoy the vehicle and dont worry so much.
Old 12-31-12, 06:03 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRey350hou
imo...I would get the front of the hood, side fenders and back of side mirrors and be done with it. Most installers will do this as this is a very common job done on Lexus, mercedes, audi etc. not trying to be inconsiderate but dont sweat the small stuff and stress so much on this. The bumber will minimal effect imo...the hood will show chips etc more than any other part of veh, but even then it doesnt sit that low so mayn mot be big issue. Ii have local installer that i use in Houston that does all work for infiniti, lexus on North side of Houston, but this doesnt help you. Good luck with sale on Wed and go enjoy the vehicle and dont worry so much.
You're right. I was so caught up in everyone talking about the softness of the black paint that I want to make sure I protect it. I've had a chance to sleep on it, and decided I'm going to go ahead and get the kit that the dealer is offering so that I have some protection on it and enjoy the car!
Old 01-05-13, 06:01 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got word from a person who lives here in Dallas, who actually recommended me not to get a clear bra kit at all. He said that when it comes off, it will leave uneven paint wear when it comes off and that if it has to be removed, it will leave tan lines. Any folks on CL who live in Dallas have any thoughts on this?
That is completely false. It will not cause any damage to the paint and the paint will not fade at a different rate than the uncovered areas. Also the dealer is not really the place to get an install done as the installer only have the skill to do the hood, fenders, and mirrors. Thats why they only offer those areas. I do a lot of contract work for different dealers... so I am familair with what they offer adn how they price it. They do have the patterns they just cant install them. The bumper will take the majority of the damage as it the largest area facing forward... and the lights will take damage as well. Once the lights get chipped oxidation will begin to occur and a few years down the road your lights will be dull and hazy.
Old 01-05-13, 09:20 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the bra installed a couple of months ago and plan to leave it on for as long as I own the car. I found an installer in Memphis that put it on for $200. I ordered the pre cut material called Aerogard from Clearmask. com for $460. The coverage includes about 1/3 of the hood and front fenders, the bumper, the grill, headlights, fog lights, and door edge guards. We put it on mainly because of the chore it is to keep bug residue off of the paint. We left a bug on the 2010 we had a little too long and it left a splotched place on the paint that couldn't be removed.