RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thoughts on 3M Invisishield

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-12, 05:36 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on 3M Invisishield

Hello everyone,

I'm very close to finishing up the deal on my 2013 RX! As recommended by many on this forum, I've been researching the different types of clear bras to have installed. I asked the dealer to get an idea of their pricing, and the sales mgr told me they install a 3M Invisishield. The new car price for install is $260 and it carries the same warranty as the car. That doesnt seem too bad, especially after seeing here that people have paid over $700 or more for VentureShield. Any thoughts on the brand? I'm thinking of having her add it on, but wanted to see if any of you have any thoughts/reviews on it. I like the idea of already having it on when I pick the car up but want to make sure the qualilty is up to par. Thanks!
Old 12-28-12, 06:35 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

I've been putting clear bra on my cars for about 10 years and like them very much. In the past I've had the 3m product installed but yesterday I had the SunTek brand installed on my RX.

$260 is a great price, i'm surprised a dealer would do it for that so make sure you know what exactly they plan to give you for that price. For $260, I would grab it, I just paid almost twice that.
Old 12-28-12, 03:28 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

I asked the dealership what the install would include. They said that it would be 1/3 of the hood and the backs of the two side mirrors. Is that enough coverage or should I look at getting a different kind for better coverage?
Old 12-28-12, 03:52 PM
Push
Pole Position

what about the front bumper?? $260 is a great price but if that is all it includes... It's still not bad..
Old 12-28-12, 04:32 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd highly suggest you get the bumper done at the same time, as you'd wish you had later on. It's a big target for stone chips.
The clear bra has saved my cars from numerous stone chips !
Old 12-28-12, 05:27 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A complete install would be the hood, front of front fenders on a line with hood, front bumper and mirrors. Basically, you want to do all forward facing surfaces. What they are offering is better than nothing for sure, but it is not the same coverage you are reading about when people are talking about a $700 job.

If you want to see what the individual pieces look like, look up your car on this site: http://www.invisiblemask.com/

I've installed a few of their kits.

I think the factory (port) installed mask is the entire front-end and I think it costs something like $490. Why not offer to pay $490 for the normal full front kit?

Last edited by UCSB; 12-28-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-28-12, 06:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

The 3M on my RXh is still looking good after 3 years. The price you were quoted is pretty low. You should ask them to add the bumper and go full hood instead of partial. Looks better and provides more protection. Other areas to consider, the front fenders and A pillars. And find out who is doing the actual installation. That's just as important.
Old 12-29-12, 12:24 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

I just heard from the dealership. They don't have a kit that covers the whole hood. Should I go ahead and get the service they have, or find a local shop here that will do the full install?
Old 12-29-12, 01:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The full hood and A pillars were custom cut, the rest part of a kit. An outside company did the installation at the dealership. You'll probably be able to find a place that can install full hood. Is the dealer able to do the front bumper? I'd be more concerned about getting that protected.
Old 12-30-12, 06:09 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

I reached out to the dealer again and they said that this is the only kit that they can do. The sales mgr also told me that the bumper is plastic so she said that it wouldn't chip anyway. Is that true? Do you guys think that I should go ahead and get the kit they are offering to have some protection or just wait and find another dealer local who can do the entire kit?
Old 12-30-12, 08:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The bumper takes the impact from rocks and debris so yes, it should to be protected. It might not be metal but the paint is subject to chipping. I'd be inclined to find another place to do the installation. The dealer is full of it
Old 12-30-12, 09:59 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will definitely not get the full hood.
The bumper and the front side fenders atre a must.
Old 12-30-12, 11:07 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
I reached out to the dealer again and they said that this is the only kit that they can do. The sales mgr also told me that the bumper is plastic so she said that it wouldn't chip anyway. Is that true? Do you guys think that I should go ahead and get the kit they are offering to have some protection or just wait and find another dealer local who can do the entire kit?

LOL! that's total BS, ask her to put that in writing
Old 12-30-12, 04:02 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to hold off on the dealer installation and try to find a reputable installer here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I'll be picking up my car this week - getting excited!
Old 12-30-12, 07:30 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

I just got word from a person who lives here in Dallas, who actually recommended me not to get a clear bra kit at all. He said that when it comes off, it will leave uneven paint wear when it comes off and that if it has to be removed, it will leave tan lines. Any folks on CL who live in Dallas have any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 3M Invisishield