RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Do the 3rd generation RXs still have bad transmission reputations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 12:04 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do the 3rd generation RXs still have bad transmission reputations?

I did a quick search in this forum and didn't see much. These vehicles have only been around since 2009 though.

I currently have a 2001 RX300 and learned quickly about their flaky transmissions after I bought mine used. I purchased an aftermarket warranty that covered the bad transmission and protected my pocket book but they put in a rebuild that was just as bad as the defective one. I took it in to be looked at but they keep telling me that it's fine. It is doing the classic "long shift" from 1st to 2nd.

Anyway, overall I still like these crossovers. I had a 2013 loaner (might have been a 2012) when I last took my vehicle in and I was so happy with the improvements with the reduction in cabin noise, the drive, and the electronic features. So I would actually consider buying a newer generation model as long as they haven't continued to have the same notorious transmission failures (or any power train problems of course).

In the past I read that Lexus "fixed" this flaw but a high number of people were still complaining about bad transmissions up until 2005.

Does anyone have anything to add to this topic or can they point me to a thread that discusses this topic?
Old 12-31-12, 12:41 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

In short, no. Though, as you state they not not been around tremendously long in time nor distance in current form.

The 5 speed auto in the 2nd Generation RX (2004-2009 model years) was an improvement and very few have been noted to fail. Shifting was no where near as bad as the RX300 problem. The main issue has been with how it shifts and not failures. Stomp on the gas and it will not downshift immediately the way many would like and expect. Some of it has as as much to do with the drive-by-wire system than anything else with the throttle response. The problems in the RX300 were internal to the transmission.

The current 6 speed auto seems to have improved the shifting issues noted in the 5 speed transmission.

The transmission in the RX300 was garbage, IMO. The engine was noted for oiling problems as well. Big improvement if you move up.
Old 12-31-12, 07:34 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i got my 04 RX I was not happy with the shifting. There was a software upgrade that the dealer applied that made a tremendous difference and has been fine ever since, now with 70k miles.

My 12 RX is even better.
Old 12-31-12, 08:22 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

We had a 2000 RX300 with AWD and sold it with 230K miles on it. Never any transmission problems at all. It was rock solid. However, I did use amsoil transmission fluid in the car. Not sure if this made a differnece or not it being synthetic, but the car always ran like a champ and i would say it ran as good at 230K as it did when we bought it with 30K miles on it.

As for oil issues I used mobile one and changed the oil about every 5K and never had any issues. I have read that folks that had oil gelling problems didn't do the oil changes at regular intervals and that contributed to the problem. Synthetic oils tend to clean the engine better and from what I was reading at the time was another way to prevent it from happening too.
Old 12-31-12, 08:38 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a 1st Gen 03 RX 300 model too. I read somewhere that the oil gunking problem was due to the lower panel that had to be removed to change the filter and a lot of what I call 'off the wall' such as Jiffy Lube places just changed the oil without pulling the panel and changing the filter. I never had a problem either.

My transmission was a rock solid as the rest of the car.
Originally Posted by Scott1258
We had a 2000 RX300 with AWD and sold it with 230K miles on it. Never any transmission problems at all. It was rock solid. However, I did use amsoil transmission fluid in the car. Not sure if this made a differnece or not it being synthetic, but the car always ran like a champ and i would say it ran as good at 230K as it did when we bought it with 30K miles on it.

As for oil issues I used mobile one and changed the oil about every 5K and never had any issues. I have read that folks that had oil gelling problems didn't do the oil changes at regular intervals and that contributed to the problem. Synthetic oils tend to clean the engine better and from what I was reading at the time was another way to prevent it from happening too.

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-31-12 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-12, 10:28 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Sounds promising so far. I am considering an MDX or 3rd gen RX, leaning heavily toward the RX currently.

I used to be a 'car only' type but after driving this little crossover around I changed my mind about this class of vehicle.

I have a damaged hip, shoulder, and back from an old job back in my 20s. I found it easier to get in and out of a crossover (or most standard height SUVs) and it has also been a blessing in regard to getting my son in and out of the child seat in the back since it is up higher. He is 2 1/2 now and is big for his age so I can't even imagine trying to get him in and out in my old Honda Accord.
Old 12-31-12, 12:37 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
In short, no. Though, as you state they not not been around tremendously long in time nor distance in current form.

The 5 speed auto in the 2nd Generation RX (2004-2009 model years) was an improvement and very few have been noted to fail. Shifting was no where near as bad as the RX300 problem. The main issue has been with how it shifts and not failures. Stomp on the gas and it will not downshift immediately the way many would like and expect. Some of it has as as much to do with the drive-by-wire system than anything else with the throttle response. The problems in the RX300 were internal to the transmission.

The current 6 speed auto seems to have improved the shifting issues noted in the 5 speed transmission.

The transmission in the RX300 was garbage, IMO. The engine was noted for oiling problems as well. Big improvement if you move up.
I'm on my original transmission at 193k miles, my uncle is on his original transmission at 385k miles. Both of our RX300's are AWD. These transmissions are not garbage, with proper maintenance they will last a very long time. The 1MZ-FE, does have small oil passages but that is not a design flaw. Toyota designed it like that in order to have the oil warm up faster, as long as you change the oil on time you will NOT have sludge.
Old 01-02-13, 10:13 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'm on my original transmission at 193k miles, my uncle is on his original transmission at 385k miles. Both of our RX300's are AWD. These transmissions are not garbage, with proper maintenance they will last a very long time. The 1MZ-FE, does have small oil passages but that is not a design flaw. Toyota designed it like that in order to have the oil warm up faster, as long as you change the oil on time you will NOT have sludge.

It's most excellent that you guys had good luck with your transmissions but it's pretty obvious that the transmissions in the 1st generation weren't good overall.

I don't know what more I could have done for both of the transmissions that have been in my RX. The rebuild became worse than the defective one after a few months, not much maintenance can or should have to be done to it at that point.
Old 01-02-13, 10:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

jwigley, sorry to hear about your transmission problems. I haven't experienced anything like that although I did the reflash on the 330. If you want super smooth shifting, take the 450h out for a spin. It's non-existant. Plus it has 20 more HPs than the 350. The 3rd gen is a different animal than previous gens. It's not even a close comparison. I think you'll be very happy driving one. Good luck.
Old 01-02-13, 11:56 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kitlz
jwigley, sorry to hear about your transmission problems. I haven't experienced anything like that although I did the reflash on the 330. If you want super smooth shifting, take the 450h out for a spin. It's non-existant. Plus it has 20 more HPs than the 350. The 3rd gen is a different animal than previous gens. It's not even a close comparison. I think you'll be very happy driving one. Good luck.

kitlz, thank you. It's ok though, it was a semi-expensive lesson in life. I had always researched every large purchase except this one. I bought the car off a close family friend and I assumed incorrectly that it would be fine as he kept it in great shape, had very low mileage, and that he would inform me if there was anything to look out for. He even kept it 100% dealer maintained and had the records to prove it (not sure if dealers are very reputable, but still). It was already a relatively old car when I got it and I thought that, logically, all the problems would have been sussed out already. My bad.

I was just lucky that I purchased a warranty before the transmission went bad and minimized my costs.

I don't know much about the hybrids yet. But I'm starting to do my research on the 350 and I will include the 450h as well. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 01-03-13, 04:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Will not argue that this engine and transmission combination cannot be made to last. If treated well, perhaps with synthetic fluids and regular changes for both, they will last a long time. Even better if the vehicle has a transmission cooler installed.

However, there is/was a much higher percentage of individuals experiencing problems especially with the transmission. Why it received reduced marks in satisfaction and reliability surveys. The weak spot on the transmission was the planetary gears. The rebuild kits and perhaps later production units coming off the line were heavier duty.

Note that I did state that this was my opinion and not from someone else. Please keep in mind that I get to have my opinion and you get to have yours. That is the way it works.
Old 01-03-13, 01:00 PM
Lead Lap

My transmission failed with 2547 miles on my new 2010 RX back in 2009. Two days later I got the car back with a rebuilt tranny. So far at 17,000 miles no problems.
Old 01-03-13, 03:38 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 4482
My transmission failed with 2547 miles on my new 2010 RX back in 2009. Two days later I got the car back with a rebuilt tranny. So far at 17,000 miles no problems.

Thanks for the report 4482. Hopefully it was just a fluke.
Old 01-03-13, 07:25 PM
iltrav
Driver School Candidate

...and remember if you get the 2010+ 450h you'll be getting a CVT transmission - considered to be very reliable.
Old 01-04-13, 08:49 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

had 2005 Rx 330, CPO, bought at 36000 miles. Transmission failed at about 60000. Our current 2010 350Rx has 70000 and no issues. My spouse drives it like a bat out of heck too, dodging people on way to school. (mileage about 18-19 avg) We follow "severe" maintenance schedule living in the desert, so it already has had at least one tranny flush I can recall. Take care of it and it will take care of you. The lesson my spouse took home from the overall experience...don't buy used, even CPO. Yeah, it didn't hurt financially, but taking the time to get the car towed etc...PIA. I would prefer to save the depreciation of driving it off the lot, but if something happened again to a used car bought in the future, I would be nagged to death.