RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Door Sill

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 06:43 AM
Yaron2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Sill

My wife would like me to look for sill protectors ..... unfortunately I cannot find any for the area she wants (see attached image)
Thanks in advance for your help and wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails Door Sill-rx350_2010.jpg  
Old 01-02-13, 01:30 PM
Yaron2
Driver School Candidate

Question

bumpity bump bump bump
Old 01-02-13, 01:32 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe just buy some spares so that when your current ones get scuffed up, you can just swap the new ones on?
Old 01-02-13, 03:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

^^ That's about your only choice besides being very careful. I bought illuminated sills and kept the originals for when I bring in he RXh for service. They're super easy to remove.
Old 01-02-13, 07:29 PM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

I have them for another car, I stopped using them, I thought they were a pita. They are not hard to clean especially if you're careful not to scuff them too hard. Ive never seen them for the RX350.
I use that floor protector plastic to cover the sills when I bring it in for service.
Old 01-03-13, 12:33 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you go down to Home Depot and then go to their flooring department, you can find a roll of clear plastic that is designed to protect carpeting temporarily. It is inexpensive ($15-$20). It is called Roberts Temporary Carpet Protection Film. The roll is 24" x 50'. One side is normal plastic, the other side has an adhesive. You can just cut it to size, apply it and trim off excess. You can replace it as often as you want. You can leave it on the surface as long as you like. You can do the sills, doors, sill in trunk ... anywhere. After you install it, it will look like the clear plastic that comes on new cars to protect surfaces. It is pretty durable and can last months. It provides 100% protection. It leaves no residue when you pull it out.

I put it in my wife's car after she had back surgery. I told her not to worry about the car and just drag her foot across the sill if it was easier and not to worry about kicking the door accidentally. You can pull it out in a few seconds. When I take my car in for service, I do the door, sill, floor, mats ... everything. It is also useful for other projects in your home.

If you use it in the Lexus, cover the Lexus logo and even the paint in addition to the area you are indicating. When you install it, wrap it over the Weathertech mat lip and you will not get any dirt or moisture on your carpeting. I have WeatherTech's that I use in Subaru Outback for a few weeks out of the year for bad weather use and will wrap the sills when they are installed.

Here is a installation tip, cut the sheet outside of the car and simply place it on the area where you want it installed. If you cover the foot rest area, you can use the foot rest without getting your carpet dirty. If you switch to the normal mats in the summer, you can put the plastic down around the pedals where the mat does not cover to keep the carpeting perfect and make it quicker to vacuum your car.

Last edited by UCSB; 01-03-13 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 01:23 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this talk of wrapping things in cheap plastic makes me feel like I'm a kid going to my grandmothers house with all that plastic covered furniture.
Old 01-03-13, 02:46 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr72
All this talk of wrapping things in cheap plastic makes me feel like I'm a kid going to my grandmothers house with all that plastic covered furniture.
Maybe they only put them on when unruly grandchildren came over ... .
Old 01-04-13, 05:23 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're old enough , you'll remember when your parents bought a new car and the mail box started getting filled with offerings from the 'FingerHut' seat cover company. They liked to put thick flexible plastic over the nice fabric seat covers.
Originally Posted by ecr72
Old 02-27-13, 03:19 PM
Jlexxi
Driver School Candidate

Default carpet protection film

Originally Posted by UCSB
If you go down to Home Depot and then go to their flooring department, you can find a roll of clear plastic that is designed to protect carpeting temporarily. It is inexpensive ($15-$20). It is called Roberts Temporary Carpet Protection Film. The roll is 24" x 50'. One side is normal plastic, the other side has an adhesive. You can just cut it to size, apply it and trim off excess. You can replace it as often as you want. You can leave it on the surface as long as you like. You can do the sills, doors, sill in trunk ... anywhere. After you install it, it will look like the clear plastic that comes on new cars to protect surfaces. It is pretty durable and can last months. It provides 100% protection. It leaves no residue when you pull it out.

I put it in my wife's car after she had back surgery. I told her not to worry about the car and just drag her foot across the sill if it was easier and not to worry about kicking the door accidentally. You can pull it out in a few seconds. When I take my car in for service, I do the door, sill, floor, mats ... everything. It is also useful for other projects in your home.

If you use it in the Lexus, cover the Lexus logo and even the paint in addition to the area you are indicating. When you install it, wrap it over the Weathertech mat lip and you will not get any dirt or moisture on your carpeting. I have WeatherTech's that I use in Subaru Outback for a few weeks out of the year for bad weather use and will wrap the sills when they are installed.

Here is a installation tip, cut the sheet outside of the car and simply place it on the area where you want it installed. If you cover the foot rest area, you can use the foot rest without getting your carpet dirty. If you switch to the normal mats in the summer, you can put the plastic down around the pedals where the mat does not cover to keep the carpeting perfect and make it quicker to vacuum your car.
UCSB: Totally agree how handy this stuff is! I like it because you can just tear it off and throw it away when it is dirty -- a new piece makes everythign look fresh and dealer-new. I lik eyour idea about overlapping onto the mats as we find it very handy when going to the snow. We cover the floors of our GX anytime we take the kids sking. My only tip is I found the roberts stuff to be very cheap and flimsy. I found some with a batter rating that lasts longer here: carpet protection film. Your mileage may vary, but this worked better for me.
Old 03-02-13, 06:27 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 406 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by UCSB
... Roberts Temporary Carpet Protection Film. .. It leaves no residue when you pull it out.
I was very intrigued with your suggestion and went and got a roll. My sills are taking a bit of a beating from boots on all doors as I drop teenagers at school every day on the way to work. Took me a few tries to apply it nicely, as it doesn't apply flat around curved surfaces easily, but it does look pretty good once I managed to get it perfectly flat without any trapped air.

My question is, have you used it in summer? I was actually impressed how flexible it remained when I installed it at temps around freezing, but I'm wondering looking forward what will happen if this stuff is left on during a really hot day when the interior temp will skyrocket. Not sure if I will need or want to use it in summer, but we'll see how things go. Having it go gooey in high heat remains a concern.