RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Pandora/iHeart Radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 06:35 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pandora/iHeart Radio issues

Hello, all,

I've had my new RX for a week now and I'm loving it, but I'm having some trouble with the apps on the Enform system.

One of the biggest turn ons for me on this car was the ability to listen to iHeartRadio and Pandora in the car. I was so excited about that. It seems, however, that these two apps are pretty spotty. They work great sometimes and other times they don't work. Seems like there may be an issue with the signal or something. I always have the Enform app running on my phone when I try to connect, but it still sometimes doesn't work.

The sales rep at Lexus told me that it goes off of my cell phone signal. The issue is, my cell phone signal in those areas is fine, the pandora and iheart apps just don't work.

Anyone else have this trouble? Am I doing anything wrong?
Old 03-10-13, 06:57 PM
yankee313
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
Hello, all,

I've had my new RX for a week now and I'm loving it, but I'm having some trouble with the apps on the Enform system.

One of the biggest turn ons for me on this car was the ability to listen to iHeartRadio and Pandora in the car. I was so excited about that. It seems, however, that these two apps are pretty spotty. They work great sometimes and other times they don't work. Seems like there may be an issue with the signal or something. I always have the Enform app running on my phone when I try to connect, but it still sometimes doesn't work.

The sales rep at Lexus told me that it goes off of my cell phone signal. The issue is, my cell phone signal in those areas is fine, the pandora and iheart apps just don't work.

Anyone else have this trouble? Am I doing anything wrong?
I have the same problem on my ES300H.I can't get iheart to load my stations either. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 tries just to get info apps to load, it works fine on ipad, Mac & Windows computers. Very disappointed with Lexus...software is not ready for prime time!!!
Old 03-11-13, 04:56 AM
kryten
Rookie

The issue I have with it is that there is no sound for Pandora usually even in high signal strength areas (with LTE). I really hope for an update to the apps on the car and the phone to fix these issues. I also have an issue with the car connecting to the app on the phone (iPhone 5), especially if I have been using bluetooth audio before trying the apps!

And I would love some more apps added! Spotify would be great
Old 03-11-13, 10:39 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't use the apps often for the reasons you state.... my thought is, a 3g connection, inside a metal car, for streaming applications is a very shaky premise to begin with. Try an area where you have shaky reception...turn the car off, see if the phone does a better job with with the app direct, inside the car...if that is still a poor connection, bring phone outside the car, try again, if that succeeds, the problem is what I would suspect.... poor interior connection for streaming purposes (but OK for phone use, as this uses much less bandwidth)

If this is the case, and you prefer to use these apps, try a Wilson car antenna kit, which will move the reception from the cell phone holder, to an exterior antenna you must mount. I know, PITA, wish Lexus provided us a port for this at the console and a roof access area. Most apps will require this...metal blocks RF signals very well. My guess is, 4G would be sufficient to overcome this streaming problem, and maybe Lexus thought, the country will be 4G very fast, but that transition is not occurring at the rate promised.
Old 03-11-13, 11:32 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

You might want to pay attention to the battery life on your phone, too. The app really uses it up quickly, so you might want to keep it plugged into the USB port. It also makes my phone physically warm. I'm not sure what they're doing in the Enform app, but it sure must use a ton of juice!

I have eliminated all of these issues by just using the Pandora app on my phone