RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Opinions on DA package vs NAVi on 2013rx?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 06:48 AM
Carluzky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on DA package vs NAVi on 2013rx?

Hello everyone! Let me start by saying thank you to all the members all for the help I have gotten on this forum. That is why I decided to join today!
I have a question? Finally after 7 years driving an Acura I decided to buy a new 2013 rx350 (you gotta love the way those power mirrors fold after turning the car on and off!) but I do have a dilemma, is it worth it to spend the extra 2-3k on the navi model? I might be wrong but from what I have read the DA package has everything the nav has except for the navigation and maps (of course). Anyone tried both? Any extra features I might be missing? I tried reading the manual but there is really not much info. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-13-13, 08:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Welcome to CL, Carluzky. The DA package seems to have everything except the maps and navigation ability like you said. It actually has more features than previous years so it's actually not bad. It comes down to whether you'll use nav. Personally I wouldn't drive without it. There's something about knowing where I am at any moment plus being able to enter destinations in the car, from my computer or my iPhone, or through Destination Assist. The extra cost is definitely a downside. Updates are pricey too. But it adds to the bottom line when you sell the RX.

Try building an RX on the Lexus website. Usually they're packaged with common options, nav being one of them. May be cheaper that way. Good luck.
Old 01-13-13, 09:53 AM
Carluzky
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your response!
Also im trying to find out the difference in screen resolution between them, is the one with NAV sharper? anyone have seem them both? i guess ill have to stop by the dealership to find out. My concern is if I am missing out on anything worth that extra cheddar besides the gps. thanks
Old 01-13-13, 07:01 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go down and carefully look at both packages yourself. This is a fairly important decision on the car purchase. The important factors in the decision have more to do with your own expectations and lifestyle than any difference between NAV and DA.

For example, I have the NAV system. It is very nice and has provided some really great guidance in a few really tricky situations. I use the system pretty often and it is comforting to own. I know it is always there if I need it.

But, the truth of the matter is that it is a completely redundant system in my life. I own a Samsung Galaxy Note II smartphone (5.5" screen) with free Google Maps, Earth and Navigation. I also own a Nexus Samsung 10 tablet (10" screen) with the same apps that can be connected via hotspot to my smartphone. These secondary systems can provide me with so much more information than the NAV system (street level views, quality traffic, sat views ... etc. etc.). I have more faith in the Google apps than the NAV system when I am in San Francisco and trying to get back across the Bay Bridge because they are putting in a new Bridge and I don't think the Lexus maps have the latest info. So in those situations I will plan the route on my smartphone and then let the NAV take over once I am on the bridge. I'm not necessarily saying the NAV package is a waste. It is nice to own. It is more of a function of what you would do if you didn't get the package and is the cost worthwhile for you.

One thing about the in car system is it is relatively expensive to update (at least $160 and possibly $200+), while Google keeps their system current for free.

I have been running a little experiment on NAV vs no NAV for the past two years. I have NAV in my RX 450h, but I purchased a Subaru Outback a few months after the RX and didn't get the NAV package. I use the Outback for fun adventures. Instead I purchased a nice Garmin GPS (< 1/10th the price of 450h NAV) that I leave in the car. The Garmin system (and my smartphone) has done a great job for me. I always get to my destination easily. On the 450h you need to stop to program the NAV. With the Garmin you don't and I usually have someone with me that just enters the info into the Garmin while I am driving. It turned out to be a pretty minimal sacrifice not getting the factory NAV in the Outback. I'm glad I saved the $2k. The experiment proved to me that both approaches work and have their own advantages ... it just comes down to personal preference.

The Garmin updates their maps several times each year for free and my computer automatically notifies me when a new update if available.

Last edited by UCSB; 01-13-13 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 08:15 PM
Carluzky
Driver School Candidate

thanks, do you thing the screen is the same size and quality on both the DAP and the nav? obviously the wheel and the mouse its a big giveaway, but other than that, does the screen looks the same?
Old 01-13-13, 10:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carluzky
thanks, do you thing the screen is the same size and quality on both the DAP and the nav? obviously the wheel and the mouse its a big giveaway, but other than that, does the screen looks the same?
I have not really compared them in detail. All I know is what I've read:

DAP: 7.0-inch color LCD multi-information console display on upper console

NAV: Navigation System[*] with 8.0-inch high-resolution multimedia dislpay

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/featu...ns/?navTo=i0s0

You should go down and look at them carefully to see what you are buying. When I first saw the NAV system in my 450h, I was a little disappointed that the graphics were so simple. After using the system for a while, I decided that the simplified, lower resolution graphics were OK because they are simple and that may make sense in the car environment. I would not just assume because these are Lexus systems that they are really great. I think there was a lot of room for improvement. I haven't studied the 2013 changes. Hopefully, there were improvements. Beyond NAV/DAP, check out the backup camera in whatever system you select. That is a must have option on this car.

Last edited by UCSB; 01-13-13 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 06:25 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Carluzky,

Anita and UCSB both bring up important points, but for me the Nav is not redundant to my smartphone and tablet. I don't use the phone or tablet while driving, but do use them to locate hotels, restaurants and other points of interest before taking off on a trip and then download those locations to the car.

I don't rely too much on the Nav for local transportation decisions. It's more for when I travel, although I do use it locally to give me a clue how long it takes to get to a destination. I'll put in my destination(s) and then decide if I have time for some side trips or errands before getting to my appointments.

I also use split screen (in a 2012) to keep track of upcoming exits and rest areas I may wish to stop before getting to my destination.

I'm also using it constantly to bounce around stations and channels on the radio, which maybe possible with a non-nav display.

Like UCSB, I find the graphics archaic, although the 2013's are improved.
Old 01-14-13, 08:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

David, I have my favorite gas and food places on the map all the time just in case I'm in unfamiliar territory which is rare. I can click on it to enter it as a destination or see how far it is. I know what you're talking about with the split screen. It drives me crazy with the frequent exits around here.

Another benefit I forgot to mention with nav, traffic. OK, it's not the best but I get messages when I'm coming up to a congested area. I haven't had it reroute me yet because the warning came on well in advance. When I do find myself taking an unexpected detour due to weather, an accident or construction, nav will reroute me automatically unlike other systems. And it can be programmed to avoid certain types of roads or areas. Traffic is included with the XM trial. The cost is like $12/quarter after.

UCSB said it well about looking at each system before buying. You do not want to regret your decision.
Old 01-14-13, 11:11 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't forget that you'll get some of the initial cost back in the way of a higher resale value.

Factory nav seems to me like more like an emotional decision than a rational one. It's easier and less expensive to keep maps and technology current on a specialty GPS (Garmin, Tom Tom, Magellan, etc) , and the features are usually better. (BTW - I think Lexus charges WAY, WAY too much to keep maps current, but that's just me). I loved that my Garmin would tell me the speed limit, and I especially appreciated the fact that I could see the elevation. I've never seen either feature in a factory nav system, but I used them all the time.

That said, I still paid for the factory nav on my last 3 or 4 cars. From appearance and technology standpoints, I really appreciate the fact that it is completely integrated into the car's dash AND electronic systems. There is nothing stuck to the dash with a suction cup with wires running own the dash into the console or 12 volt plug, and nothing rattling around in a cup holder. You don't have to think about where to put it so you can see and hear it. It's also really nice to have the audio system pause when an nav announcement is made, especially if you like to drive with an open window, or the radio turned up a bit.

In the end .... a factory GPS just works, and it's very convenient. It's probably not justifiable from an overall cost perspective, but in MY opinion, the entire package makes it OK.

Last edited by User 41924; 01-14-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-15-13, 07:09 PM
Carluzky
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to say thank you guys so much for your inputs, I will let you know in a few days what is the exact difference on both options!