RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Discouraged search for 2013 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 07:23 PM
wlpncp
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Discouraged search for 2013 RX350

I haven't been in the new car market for over 10 years, but now I am interested in a 2013 RX350. I have had no luck locally or on the internet in finding a RX350 in Fire Agate Pear/Parchment interior with the Comfort Package and the Luxury Package with BSM and the Pre-Collision system. Why is it so hard to locate such a car? If I have to wait three months for a special order to come in, I feel that I should just wait for the 2014 model. Am I missing something?
Old 01-27-13, 07:39 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe you should work with your Lexus sales person to see if they can locate a car for you. Dealerships tend to have a limited range of configurations that they receive from Lexus. If you want something that is configured differently, you may have to special order.
Old 01-27-13, 10:26 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are many LARGE dealers on the west coast that have a couple hundred in stock; if they don't have what you want it is probably an uncommon configuration and you will have to either be a little more flexible or order one. If you find out when the '14's are coming out from anyone; please POST, Thanks,
Old 01-28-13, 04:55 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pre-Collision is sold on a relatively small number of vehicles and I was told by two different dealers here in SoCal it has never "come in from the plant" without a special order. The one or two they had in the past were all special orders that dropped out for one reason or another. I special ordered my RX450h with PCS. BSM is a relatively new option on the RX -- has been shipping for less than 8 months, so I don't know what's up with that or how it impacts delivery.

Dealers can search the entire nation for inventory, as well as vehicles that are in-transit to dealers from the plants that are not "pre sold". Their search is more comprehensive than you'll find on any customer-accessible website. As UCSB and dxtex99 suggest, if you want a particular set of options, find a dealer you want to work with and have them do the search -- if one exists, they can reroute it to their dealership or special order one for you.

Good luck with your search. I've ordered 4 of my 5 Lexus over the years, and while the wait is hard, it's always been worth it to have just what I wanted.
Old 01-28-13, 10:38 AM
mac12
Intermediate

E-mail Dawn at dbetrus@esewell.com. Ask for what you want. That's where I bought my 2013 and got a great deal.

Last edited by mac12; 01-30-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 09:07 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We wanted the same setup except saddle tan interior and HID headlamps and got neither. The above comments are what we heard. The pre-collision is not common on the RXs sent to dealers (why do they advertise it?). We searched dealer inventories in other areas and did not find exactly what we wanted. The AZ dealer was able to trade with a NM dealer for an RX that was still on the boat. We got the exterior color but not the interior, HID, or collision. We got a better deal taking rather than waiting 3 - 4 months. Life is one big compromise.
Joe
Old 01-30-13, 10:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by wlpncp
I haven't been in the new car market for over 10 years, but now I am interested in a 2013 RX350. I have had no luck locally or on the internet in finding a RX350 in Fire Agate Pear/Parchment interior with the Comfort Package and the Luxury Package with BSM and the Pre-Collision system. Why is it so hard to locate such a car? If I have to wait three months for a special order to come in, I feel that I should just wait for the 2014 model. Am I missing something?
Everything looked pretty easy until you got to the Pre Collision System part. That's a very rare option to find on any Lexus. If you wait for a 2014 model, you're still gonna be in the same position finding that exact car. Where in TN are you located?
Old 01-30-13, 10:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mac12
E-mail Dawn at dbetrus@esewell.com. Ask for what you want. They are the largest Lexus dealership in the US. That's where I bought my 2013 and got a great deal.
Actually JM Lexus in Margate, FL is the largest Lexus dealer in the USA, followed closely by Longo Lexus here in Southern California.
Old 01-30-13, 11:02 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Actually JM Lexus in Margate, FL is the largest Lexus dealer in the USA, followed closely by Longo Lexus here in Southern California.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-30-13, 10:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

So i've checked with my sources. That exact configuration you want doesn't exist in any of the 4 Lexus area office regions nor are incoming into inventory. So the bad news is, to get PCS on any new RX you must special order it. The good news is that RX ordered with PCS are made at the Kyushu Plant in Japan. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-13, 01:42 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
BTW it is VERY closely; the SM at JM always dumps a few at the end of the year to beat Longo!!! Sewell is down the list a ways.
Old 02-01-13, 11:54 PM
wlpncp
Rookie

The local dealer (Franklin, Tennessee, near Nashville) has a Claret Mica with Parchment Leather and the Premium Package (no BSM). I like that color, but am concerned about:

(1) keeping Parchment leather clean. Would Light Grey leather be better in this regard? Would Light Grey look as good as Parchment with the Claret Mica?

(2) the car has heated and ventilated front seats, but not the Comfort Package. I really wanted the Comfort Package. Is it worth it?.

(3) the car has 19" wheels. They look nice, but I was thinking about getting the 18" wheels for better ride and less noise. True?

(4) I am willing to forget the Pre-collision System, but still really want BSM. Is BSM a useful safety feature worth digging in my heels for?

Won't it be true that if I take the car on the lot, I'll be able to bargain, whereas if I hold out for Light Grey leather, 18" wheels, the Comfort Package and the Premium Package with BSM, I won't have much/any negotiating room? (The salesman already said he would "give" me the 19" wheels on the car on the lot.)

Also, has anyone heard about a Lexus buyers incentive coming in February?
Thanks to all
Old 02-02-13, 03:47 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

wlpncp, I'm happy you've found a possible compromise. I know it's exciting, but I suggest you really consider what you want, especially if you are going to keep this ride for a long time (10 years on your last car, right?). If you want the car now, you will have to compromise more. If there are things you really want on that dream car, you can order it and yes, it will take 3 months or so to arrive, but you'll have no regrets for years to come. Now, to your questions:

1) There are some good threads in the Detailing forum and others here about keeping leather clean. I had grey in my former RX400h and it was not difficult to keep clean. I liked it a lot. I had parchment (or Lexus' variation of that color) in my 1999 RX300, and it wasn't too bad to maintain. My present RX450h has parchment and I'm happy with it as well. The key is to always wipe it down with a damp cloth when you wash your vehicle, and to occasionally put appropriate protectant on it such as Leather Masters -- you MUST do that to make removal of any stains, such as from new blue jeans, easy to take care of. As to the color choice with a red exterior, I think it comes down to your or anyone else's subjective opinion.

2) Comfort Package comes with HID lamps and rain-sensing windshield wipers. Personally, I HAVE to have HID or LED headlights. Rain-sensing wipers are great to have.

3) I like 19" wheels for the look. I have no issues with the ride, but you should search here in other threads on the subject of wheel size and tire brand. There are many opinions if the 19's and/or tires cause a rougher ride or not. Personally, I found I could tell I have the 19's when I go over bumps, such as in parking lots, but suspect tires make the greater difference. While I would have preferred Michelin's, the Bridgestones I have are OK. Dunlops seem to have the most challenges accordiing to most people that have posted over the past year or so here.

4) Again, do a search here about BSM. People that have it, love it. If it had been available, I would have had it on my 2013 RX450h. I have special ordered the similar feature on my MBZ that is in production. You've compromised to do without PCS as a significant safety and convenience feature, can you do without BSM as well? Have you ever "jumped" back into your lane when you were perhaps about to do a lane change and found someone was there? What would it be worth to you to have an indicator to avoid that situation and perspiration on your brow in the future?

You likely will be able to negotiate more on a truck that is on the lot that the dealer wants to move, but be aware, that many of us who ordered a vehicle, also didn't pay MSRP. Did we pay more than if the car was on a lot? Perhaps, but then again, I got exactly the car I wanted, with the color choices and every single option I desired, with only 6 miles on the odometer, knowing I am the only driver, and will have no regrets for the 5-7 years I tend to own each of my vehicles.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-02-13, 07:28 AM
mac12
Intermediate

As I said in an earlier post look at the inventory at Sewell Lexus in Dallas. Find the one you want then email them for a price. At times they have as many as 300 RX's to choose from. I bought my first Lexus from the dealership in south Nashville, but never again. Definitely get the BSM and the comfort package on the new RX, along with the 19" wheels and Michelin tires. Sewell will start with about 9% off of MSRP, but that is negotiable as well. We emailed each other for about two weeks before we agreed on a price. A drive to Dallas over the weekend to pick up a new RX is not a bad trip, especially if you save a few thousand dollars.
Old 02-02-13, 10:30 AM
wlpncp
Rookie

Thank, BertL and mac12 for your very helpful responses. I am going back on Monday for a test drive, but, your comments confirm my thoughts regarding the Comfort Package and the BMS.

BertL: What Bridgestone tires do you have? Which Michelins would you have gotten if you could have?

mac12: How much (percent) should I realistically expect to get off the MSRP if the dealer has to locate an off-site car for me?

Quick Reply: Discouraged search for 2013 RX350