RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Ready to give up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 02:40 PM
bill77056

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Do Understand...

Originally Posted by wlpncp
Well, after spending days on this forum and on other web sites like Edmunds, Cars.com,True Car and AAA, plus dealer web sites in MD, TX, and GA, I am about ready to put my Lexus search on hold indefinitely.

Reasons:
(1) I visited my local dealer for the second time on Monday and requested that they search other dealer inventories for a RX with my desired options. They agreed to do so, but now five days later I have heard nothing from them, not even a status call like "We are still searching." How long should it take for such a search and a response from the dealer?

(2) I was about ready to buy one off the lot with the NAV system (even though I didn't want or need it), but after reading today's thread on the NAV system (update issues, getting to Wal-Mart, etc.), I want the NAV system even less. Not worried too much about NAV and resale value. We keep our cars for 8-10 years.

(3) After reading so many posts on this forum showing MSRP discounts of 8 to 12 %, I have little love for my dealer's offer off 4.5% off MSRP for the model with NAV (although the dealer's offer is in line with Cars.com, etc.).

(4) I know I could drive out of state if the desired car at the desired price were to exist, but that is just not worth the hassle to me.

I think I'll just go buy a Subaru Outback (good CR ratings) and be done with it!

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.
I agree with all the good comments on this topic and I do not have much new to offer except my recent experience. Today we took delivery on a 2010 RX 350 ex Nav with 24,000. It took more than a week to get there.

First, the internet was scoured for new RX 350s within 50 miles of Houston, TX - dozens. A several days spent getting responses and details about the various cars offered. At this time, I was feeling like your first post.

Next move was to my closest dealership and to use some of negotiation principles I had learned years ago. Dealer salesmen are generally 100% commission; good ones will quickly decide how much time to invest in a prospect. Basically, I spent 4 hours looking at various new-car models, discussing features, test driving demos, etc. Then the next day my wife came along and she looked at 2 new RX-350s and did the test drive. We got a pro-forma sales contract (two visits by the sales guy to the manager) and had the old Lexus appraised for trade-in. Did not sign, wanted to give it 24 hours thought. Overall another two hours.

While my wife on test drive, i wandered through the pre-owned RX inventory. Many were coming off 3-year lease with various mileage. The sales guy briefly described the Lexus Certified used cars and we departed.

A day or two later I selected one Certified pre-owned unit with 28K miles and got a pro-forma sales form for it. Another maybe 45 minutes. Later that day I emailed the salesman telling him i was leaning toward the car but would really like to wait and get one just in off lease before it went through the clean-up and Certification process. Within an hour got a call that one was coming off lease with 23K miles and if I would commit quickly could get it before it was Certified.

Signed the contract for the car on Feb 1, but contract was dated Jan 31.

The advantage of getting a non-Certified has to do with the Vehicle Service Agreement - this is another topic.

My suggestion is to get the salesman to have some skin in the game. Near to month's end helps.

Good Luck
Old 02-08-13, 08:36 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another option is to wait until end of model year and get last years model. When we got our 2010 RX in Nov 2010 the 2011's were already out so we got a terrific deal on the 2010. We keep our cars 8 to 10 years so it didn't concern us we got a 2010 vs a 2011. We probably saved $3,000 that way and they are always more willing to negotiate on the outgoing model.
Old 02-09-13, 07:33 AM
wlpncp
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Another option is to wait until end of model year and get last years model. When we got our 2010 RX in Nov 2010 the 2011's were already out so we got a terrific deal on the 2010. We keep our cars 8 to 10 years so it didn't concern us we got a 2010 vs a 2011. We probably saved $3,000 that way and they are always more willing to negotiate on the outgoing model.
That is something I have been wondering about. I believe the 2013 RX models were released in April 2012, so will the 2014 models likely be released in April 2013? I asked my local dealer this question and was told they didn't know when the 2014s come out. Think maybe they knew but wanted me to buy a 2013 now instead of waiting a couple of months for the 2014. So does anyone know when the 2014s will come out?
Old 02-09-13, 08:45 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That is something I have been wondering about. I believe the 2013 RX models were released in April 2012, so will the 2014 models likely be released in April 2013? I asked my local dealer this question and was told they didn't know when the 2014s come out. Think maybe they knew but wanted me to buy a 2013 now instead of waiting a couple of months for the 2014. So does anyone know when the 2014s will come out?
I believe it's pure speculation as to when the 2014s will come out and suggest the dealer does not know either. My experience has been dealerships tend to get information sometimes even after some of us enthusiasts do using various web and networking means available to us. Historically, mid-to-fall timeframe is when the next year models come out -- if they come out earlier than that, it's generally been when there was a complete redesign or refresh of the model when Lexus sometimes announces them several months in advance of first delivery. I can't see why Lexus would do any major refresh of the RX line just 1 year after they did, and added the F-Sport to the line-up. As others have said, it's more likely that any changes that are made to the 2014s will simply be incremental in nature -- perhaps a new color or two, and some refinements (or even a few take-aways to keep the price point about the same, as we saw happen to the 2013s).
Old 02-09-13, 11:09 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the dealers are in the loop on this; the 13's were announced in April and delivered to dealers in early May; our local dealer got tons of 12's in April which he was dumping by late may because he got a lot of 13's in; not the small amounts many manufacturers meat out....so it was a giveaway on the 12's, but the uniquely different front end of the 13's made them MUCH more popular.....in my neighborhood, if you don't have LED's in front, you are driviing and OLD vehicle; be it BMW, Audi or Mercedes!!! No Prius allowedl..lol
With the major changes of the 2015 being released in late 14 according to the latest I have seen; I think 14's will be midyear or later; maybe a few more colors in "F" Sport; etc. I expect the
2015 to have 8 speed standard, better gas mileage and a redo of the dash...
Old 02-11-13, 02:11 PM
RX808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I've had both a 2005 and a 2010 RX both with NAV. I don't find the Lexus NAV as bad as what has been recently written on this forum. I've traveled from Ohio to both Seattle and San Diego on the west coast, and have taken two trips to Florida with no problems. This does not include all the short trips using the NAV in between.

I just upgraded my 2010 NAV version 8.1 to the current 12.1 because of a trip coming up from Ohio to Key West, and then around Florida for a total of no doubt over 3000 miles. I thought it about time to upgrade.

Keep in mind on these forums you hear from mostly the vocal minority and not the silent happy majority !
This is the best piece of advice--whenever looking things/reviews online. Happy people aren't motivated like unhappy people.
Old 02-11-13, 03:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RX808
This is the best piece of advice--whenever looking things/reviews online. Happy people aren't motivated like unhappy people.
I agree. You rarely see posts from owners who say "I drove my vehicle today and nothing happened",