RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disapointed by RX350 AWD Snow Capability

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 08:48 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by stumpiesgr
some of us have a more basic issue . . . some wheels spinning while others do not. THAT is not a rubber issue.
At the end it is a moving surface and fixed surface "connection"... either in slowing down or trying to go faster. Behind that scene is the force ... spinning or braking and somewhere is the silent "inertia" [weight based].

In scientific terms it is the coefficient of friction and the road-surface, tires and any medium in between (ice/snow/water).

Salim
Old 01-05-20, 10:03 AM
stumpiesgr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good comeback . . . the issue is one of inertia: a body at rest will not move - because only 1 front wheel spins (snow/ice). if it were a rear-wheel differential problem, i could apply the emerg brake lightly to transfer the load from one side to the other.

Old 01-06-20, 12:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

The same can be achieved at the front wheels with careful brake pedal modulation.

The RX uses a open differentials front and rear. Only the F/R bias is really controlled by the computer, however 3rd generation RX models equipped with VDIM do have an electronic LSD function which will apply braking force to limit wheel slippage. Models without VDIM do not attempt to control L/R bias in any way (mechanical or electrically).

This came up previously in the thread and there was some question as to the effectiveness of this form of LSD. I've seen it used to some decent effect in off-road situations in vehicles like the FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, and 4Runner. On-road the IS F made okay use of it for 2008-2009 before adding an actual LSD for 2010. I am not sure on the exact engagement conditions for control in the RX, but based on my reading it seems to be used more for control through corners than in situations where only a wheel is spinning (from stopped or while driving straight).

Jeff
Old 01-06-20, 04:35 PM
stumpiesgr
Driver School Candidate

thankyouse ! one concentrated bushel of information you have provided.

gent commenting to his lady, "no idea why you wanted me to put the cake in at 120degrees."
she looking into the oven at the cake balanced against a protractor at exactly 120degrees, "GEORGE !"

Last edited by stumpiesgr; 01-06-20 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional information
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Lange (01-06-20)
Old 01-06-20, 06:00 PM
CSpecISF
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

some of us have a more basic issue . . . some wheels spinning while others do not. THAT is not a rubber issue.
In all honesty, it does sound like the tires are not up to par for the weather you're driving in. I have a 14 RX350 F-Sport that came with the original Michelin Latitudes when I purchased it, it was scary to drive in deep snow as my winter tires hadn't arrived yet. When I changed to my Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s (new WS90s are out this year), the RX was much better in the snow. In addition to the RX and IS-F, I also own both a Subaru WRX (open diffs front and rear, with a viscous centre diff) and WRX STi (LSD front and rear, with electronic centre diff), where both Subarus are also equipped with excellent snow tires. While the RX350 isn't exactly as good as the Subarus are in the snow (to be expected, since it's MUCH larger), it still is unstoppable and easy to drive. I haven't experienced any situations that would thwart ones confidence or cause one to worry about driving in inclement conditions. If I'm honest, the only thing more that I kind of wish the RX did offer to me as a driver is a little bit of extra freedom to be able to throw the car around a bit more in the snow. I just hate how much the nannies on the RX interject, not a deal breaker all in all since I have other cars to have fun in the snow with.

I guess the moral of the story is don't be afraid to pay a bit extra on a better set of snows, you'll be thankful you did. I love the Hankook iPikes and the Blizzaks, both fantastic snow tires.
Old 01-06-20, 06:20 PM
stumpiesgr
Driver School Candidate

appreciate the response; we are not on the same page. if one wheel spins and the other three do not, the problem is not the rubber.
Old 01-07-20, 03:58 PM
CSpecISF
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

appreciate the response; we are not on the same page. if one wheel spins and the other three do not, the problem is not the rubber.
Yes, it is. The 1 wheel spinning is due to the other 3 having traction and the 1 spinning wheel not having traction. The only thing between the rim and the driving surface is the tire. The fact that only 1 wheel is spinning is because the RX has open differentials both front and rear, and the path of least resistance is the 1 spinning wheel, where traction between that tire and the surface you're driving on does not exist. Change to better tires and you won't have nearly as much slip due to the improved traction = no path of least resistance.

Last edited by CSpecISF; 01-07-20 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 09:49 PM
stumpiesgr
Driver School Candidate

thankyou. specificially; if rubber was the true problem, with only one tire spinning, why would one other tire (RX - different differential) not also spin ? were two tires slipping, i would look seriously at the rubber solution.
with only one wheel spinning, i cannot. i believe the previous suggestion to use brakes to bind the spinning wheel to cause a load/traction transfer to be spot on. unfortunately, that was not attempted (then), so the solution remains only potential.