RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disapointed by RX350 AWD Snow Capability

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 06:32 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

The more a tire is designed for performance, its performance in snow decreases. Both tread and the ability of snow tires to stay soft in cold temperatures contribute to this.
I'm no tire expert, but I agree with those above who suggest that the problems mentioned are due to the tires.
Old 02-13-13, 07:55 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
The more a tire is designed for performance, its performance in snow decreases. Both tread and the ability of snow tires to stay soft in cold temperatures contribute to this.
I'm no tire expert, but I agree with those above who suggest that the problems mentioned are due to the tires.
Thanks very true, I replaced the tires with Michelin LT2 or something like that highest rated on Consumer Reports. Couldn't get it stuck if I wanted to esp now I am trying to test the AWD to see if mine has problem.
Old 02-13-13, 07:58 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimthe1st
Well, first of all, if you hadn't turned the TC off, or it was disabled due to a CEL, then you have a TC function failure. With TC active, any level, even minor level, of front wheelspin/slip vs the rear the engine will be quickly dethrottled and the front brakes will begin adding traction substition to the slipping/spinning wheels.

"With TC active.." From the 2001 RX and through the 2009 MY, TC was the only method of implementing AWD functionality.

Second....It appears that your rear drive clutch was not operating even in 4-lock.
Thanks for the response. So it sounds like my "rear clutch" might have a problem. Is this something that would be detected by the computer? Or is it something that the dealer would have to inspect if their is fault.

Also I did see the rear wheels spin today, but only for a few seconds and very slowly. Is enough power even able to be transferred to the rear wheel to move the car? Say if both front wheels are on ice. Bc I am thinking if my rear clutch is working and power is getting transferred maybe its not enough to move the car; hence why the rear wheels don't turn.

btw any see this video test comparing AWD.

Last edited by satnav; 02-13-13 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 09:30 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimthe1st
Cayenne:

Ignore this(*) if you have an early Cayenne with 4WD "low".
I'll ignore this since it is a 2006 Cayenne with 4WD low..

1. There is no such "animal" as full-time 4WD, automatically engaging 4WD systems, yes, but still, NO full-time 4WD system...Not even a possibility.
The specifications are quite clear for the Cayenne. 32% front, 68% rear power distribution under normal conditions. Power transfer will change if a wheel starts slipping (power goes to the non-slipping wheels.) That's with PSM on.

2.(*) "Limited slip diffs front and rear." Possible, but not probable, especailly at the front, more likely TC implementation of rear LSD, but not even that for the front..

3.(*) With the Cayenne it would be unusual for the front drive to be engaged in reverse.

4. "Porsche would have resisted sliding." Yes, with PSM "on". Turn PSM off and "tossing" the Cayenne, primary RWD, about will be a lot easier than an RX (TC/VSC off) with primary drive to the front.

5. The (current) Cayenne uses exactly the same "locking center differential" technique as does the 2010 and later RX.

6. "it does active torque distribution." With the early Cayenne part-time 4WD system engaged this was not even a remote possibility., So it begins to sound as if you have the same dynamically engaging AWD system as the RX, so congradulations are in order.
Old 02-14-13, 03:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

satnav, we have another thread here somewhere with that video. One of the things in question was the tires on each vehicle. Personally I've driven up snow covered hills similar to that and was fine. Tires do make a difference.
Old 02-14-13, 06:01 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem here, performed amazingly well although I had snow tires I had to really push it to have the traction light come on. Also with VDIM I literally could not lose control even when I tried.
Old 02-14-13, 09:39 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently used the 450h in snow conditions in France with snow mode and 4winter tires (AWD) and I am impressed about the efficiency of the car on snowy roads. Very impressive. Safe ! I 'be tried it under several circumstances and never failed even under string accelerations.
Old 04-11-13, 04:42 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So...AWD in the RX350 sucks then ? By that video comparision, it is disappointing
Old 04-11-13, 05:51 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whitigir
So...AWD in the RX350 sucks then ? By that video comparision, it is disappointing
Well when you say it that way (I guess)... Personally, if I see a hill and I notice ice I'm going around (if possible) or pull out my trusty-handy-tire-chains those work wonders (also, my way of saying suck NY DOT for taxing me so much and still not fixing my roads )
Old 04-11-13, 06:45 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

That is correct. RX350 is FWD vehicle with a clutch that electrically connects the rear wheels when the ECU tells it to. It is weak and will overheat in off-road conditions. At that point, the ECU will turn off the rear wheels and AWD RX will become just FWD until the center diff cools off. Same as Rav 4. It was never designed for anything rough. A GX or LX would be the vehicle to get for driving in extreme conditions.

The 450h has a graphic display to show when front or rear wheels are working. As sweet as it looks, it does remind that only front wheels are driving the RX at higher speeds.

All of this does not mean the RX is not a capable snow vehicle. I have no reservations taking it through deep snow on snow tires... and I have.
Old 04-11-13, 07:06 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
That is correct. RX350 is FWD vehicle with a clutch that electrically connects the rear wheels when the ECU tells it to. It is weak and will overheat in off-road conditions. At that point, the ECU will turn off the rear wheels and AWD RX will become just FWD until the center diff cools off. Same as Rav 4. It was never designed for anything rough. A GX or LX would be the vehicle to get for driving in extreme conditions.

The 450h has a graphic display to show when front or rear wheels are working. As sweet as it looks, it does remind that only front wheels are driving the RX at higher speeds.

All of this does not mean the RX is not a capable snow vehicle. I have no reservations taking it through deep snow on snow tires... and I have.
Damn it! Why the hell did I pay 1700 more for this AWD system. I could have gone with FWD fully loaded....

oh Shack...look at how well that MDX is doing............WARGGHHHH......I should have waited for the all new 2014 MDX :-(

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-11-13 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-11-13, 07:31 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Damn it! Why the hell did I pay 1700 more for this AWD system. I could have gone with FWD fully loaded.....Damnn

oh Shack...look at how well that MDX is doing............WARGGHHHH......I should have waited for the all new 2014 MDX
Our AWD is still better than nothing. RX has most weight distributed over front wheels, so the rears do not need to do as much. Next time it snows, drive through an unplowed parking lot. Your doubts will disappear.
Old 04-11-13, 07:38 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Our AWD is still better than nothing. RX has most weight distributed over front wheels, so the rears do not need to do as much. Next time it snows, drive through an unplowed parking lot. Your doubts will disappear.
I am hoping to see to it. Probably snow will happen next year, and I am thinking that we have no more snow....thought, I can't ever be so sure....it is Ohio LOL
Old 04-11-13, 08:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Whitigir, I haven't been stuck once in 14+ years of driving in snow with the RX. Hills are unavoidable for me too. I don't even bother turning on snow mode. Instead I make sure I have the best tires on and understand the RX's quirks. Like vlad said, test it out in an empty snow covered parking lot. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-11-13, 11:04 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

While the video is an interesting curiosity, in my mind the AWD mostly shines on rainy days ()

I get 4 or 5 snowy road days every year and yea, the AWD does well enough. But I get a helluvalot more wet road days through the year. I have a stop sign left hand turn onto a busy road near my house that can be tricky when the roads are wet and the gaps are few. The AWD lets me execute the sharp turn and get up to speed like its a sunny day every day.

Quick Reply: Disapointed by RX350 AWD Snow Capability