RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Shopping Around!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 09:31 PM
Rxsoon2be
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shopping Around!

Hello All,

So I am shopping for My future Rx350...Which will be my very first SUV. While my father is writing the check he has given his daughter(me) the handle on finding the car. I live in the state of California. I have been looking like crazy as I am super excited about actually purchasing my first car (from) the dealership. It appears everything is up to me. However my dad says he wants me to have a 2010 or newer. I have found a few nice 2010's that I was really fond of, He wanted me to find newer I didn't see the point seeing as how they are so similar 2010-2012. I felt whichever was the best priced. He told me to look at a particular dealer because he feels like we may be able to score a decent price on the 2013. I don't really care I am honestly just very grateful. He has instructed me to call the dealership tomorrow and ask them "questions w.e that means. And see what we can do about getting an appointment to come in. The 2010's I've seen are about $32,000 with about 32,000 miles and Navigation etc. Dad says its important to get a car I want but my only desire is to have a Navigation and a good price. So is that 2010 priced appropriately? Any tips on getting a good deal? What do I ask the dealer? Should I go for 2010? 2011? 2012? or 2013? Please!! any positive feedback will be appreciated.
Old 02-18-13, 08:40 AM
ramaka02
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I bought my 2010 RX with Navi, premium packages etc with 20600 miles on it for $33000...Good luck on your search and hope you find "the one" :-)

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-18-13, 09:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Welcome to CL, Rxsoon2be. The '10 came out almost four years ago so there will be few out of warranty by time if not mileage pretty soon. I'd opt for something newer, maybe '12. Most should have low mileage, a good portion of the warranty left, and discounted since the '13 refresh came out several months ago. But don't rule out the '13 completely. You might be able to find a decent price in California. And definitely do your homework on what you want (i.e. must haves) in your RX. It'll make the whole process much easier. Good luck.
Old 02-18-13, 09:57 AM
Rxsoon2be
Driver School Candidate

Ramaka02- Thank you so much that was pretty informative sounds like you scored big on price and package and millage. I will def keep my eyes peeled now. Thank you very much .

Kitlz- Thank you for welcoming me, I am glad to be here. I never thought about the potential of the vehicle being out of warranty based on time. That is a very useful reminder and def something I will consider when looking now. Now a 2012 makes more sense. I guess I'll base it off the price difference of the two while considering the perks! Thanks so much for responding.
Old 02-18-13, 10:24 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's refreshing to hear someone in your shoes not jumping on the newest, most expensive option available simply because someone else is paying for it. It sounds like you're shopping at Lexus dealers. If so, you'll find many 2010+ with that mileage are Certified Pre-Owned (CPO), which means it goes through a major inspection and has an additional 3 year, 100K total mile warranty included. The RX is a very reliable vehicle but the CPO provides good assurance typically at a much lower price than a new vehicle. If you find a CPO vehicle for $32K, that's a good savings of at least $10K over a comparably equipped 2013. Whatever you and your father decide, you've picked a great vehicle for your first SUV. Enjoy.
Old 02-18-13, 02:27 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome Rxsoon2be. Your father is smart to guide you to the 3rd generation Rx, 2010 or newer. They have proven to be tops in reliability, with all the latest features and safety. Being from California, you should have a large supply to choose from at a decent price. I would recommend going to a few dealers first, get an idea on colors and options you would be happy with, and an idea on pricing. Also, AWD or FWD. The newer the model year, along with the lower mileage, helps with resale value later. Be sure to check for tire wear if in the 30,000 mile range. If you can stand being patient, everything will all fall in place. I always prefer newer, but must add that I would buy my traded in 2010 in a second, and it had 40,000 miles on it.(with new tires.)
Old 02-18-13, 07:44 PM
Rxsoon2be
Driver School Candidate

ecr72- Thanks a bunch. And what your saying makes a bunch of sense. And I could potentially save pretty big. Guess time shall tell, and yes I am certainly looking for CPO, thanks for the details on the warranty process . Now I am more informed thanks for the reply.

go3Ds- I am comforted know that so many people trust in the reliability of the Lexus. IWith that faith alone I will be comfortable. My last two cars were toyotas so I trust the brand, just upgrading now . I will definitely keep an eye out on the tires thanks for that tip. Patience at this point is hard but I will try! I'll get a closer look at the dealer sometime this week. Thank You very much for replying And welcoming me.
Old 02-19-13, 12:25 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My daughter, who is 26, and I have done a lot of car shopping together. She has helped me buy many cars and last year I helped her decide on a new car. I had bought her first car for her when she was in high school; a Lexus ES. She liked driving a Lexus and had a lot of pride of ownership in her car. When we started looking for her new car, we were shopping the new Lexus ES. But, as the project moved forward. She decided that people in her generation had a different view on cars. They were a lower priority and somewhat of a utilitarian item. She did not want to worry about people not being careful in her new car. In the end she decided that she wanted to have fun in her car and a luxury car wasn't right for her at this point in time. About the same time, my brother was upgrading his 2010 Toyota Prius and she decided to pick it up. She wrote him a check for $16k straight out of her savings and the car has been outstanding for her. She gets 52 MPG just driving normally without any effort. She is always on the go. I am not trying to convince you to get a Prius. It is just that each person's life and expectations can vary so much that it difficult to make a specific recommendation on which way to go with your initial post.

Some considerations that would influence me here in CA. Starting in 2012, you can use regular gas in the RX. Before that the recommendation was premium (many people used regular anyway). Being a car person, I personally would go for a 2013. But, your perspective sounds closer to my daughter's. I think that Lexus ironed out small little problems with the cars as the model years proceeded. The 2012 might be just slightly better than a 2010 (maybe just slightly better ride, quieter). The 2013 is the best. This may or may not be important to you. When looking at the 2010's realize that the model year was a long one and Lexus started selling the car in April 2009 (???) and this may or may not (Lexus CPO extended warranty) affect your warranty. Some 2010's may actually be a year and a half older than other 2010's. On the other hand, you can demand a lower price on older cars. One consideration in CA is the city/highway mix in your driving. If you live in an urban area and have a heavy traffic or city use, your mileage can be pretty low. Check the threads in this forum, but people have complained about getting only 15 or 16 MPG in this type of use. This might not matter to you and it may not happen to you. Just something to think about. Poor mileage can be pretty tough with the over $4.00 gas here in CA. With the economy coming back, it makes you wonder where gas in CA will end up. The NAV can be a good feature and a safety feature; I use it in my RX. But, about half the time I just tap my Google search icon on my Samsung Galaxy Note II and say something like "navigate to Macys in Pleasanton, CA" and in a few seconds I am being guided to my destination; without having to type anything. This takes a fraction of the time the NAV in the Lexus requires. My daughter is the same. The NAV in the Lexus is OK; just set your expectations conservatively.

On getting a good deal, shop around and allow some time for the dealerships to come down in price. Leave your name and phone number with the sale rep. Play one dealer against the other on price. The prices will drift down over a week or two. Know what a good deal is before you start shopping. This is important if someone decides to offer you a good deal for some reason; take it. Don't be afraid to tell the sales rep what you will pay for a given car. If you can't agree on the spot, give it some time. It is better to negotiate around the dealership's end of the month. So start getting yourself out there now and let the prices fall between now and the end of the month. Sometimes there are better deals and incentives on new cars then used cars; learn to spot this and buy a new car if they are loaded with incentives. I don't know if this is the case right now at Lexus; but, assume you can get $5k or $6k off a new car right now and compare that to the used prices you are getting. If financing is involved, factor in the value of that; new cars may be lower. If your family has purchased Lexus vehicles in the past; realize there may be Lexus loyalty $$$ of $1,000 to $1,500) available at various times. If the dealerships start treating you in an inflexible manner, it might be time to call Dad in to set them straight. It is sad, but I have heard some pretty miserable hard sells going on at Lexus dealerships on younger women. Know the difference between Lexus CPO and non-CPO used cars and their warranties. Finally, read the price threads on this forum so you will be loaded with ideas on how to score a good deal.

Last edited by UCSB; 02-19-13 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-20-13, 06:51 PM
Rxsoon2be
Driver School Candidate

Jimthefirst- Thank you very much for the GPS information as for the Venza although I once considered it I am not a fan of the body style. Thank you for the reply .
Old 02-20-13, 07:59 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as I hate paying for the GPS, I do have to say they are a lot easier to use than the stupid Tomtom. It's hard to drive and trying to type on the little touchscreen at the same time
Old 02-21-13, 07:21 PM
Rxsoon2be
Driver School Candidate

UCSB- Thank you for your very detailed reply. And thank you for sharing your daughters car shopping experience with me. The Prius is a lovely car and I once considered it quite a bit. However I purchased my first two cars on my own fresh out of H.S I got the first. And now I have been graced with the opportunity to have any car I desire. I originally had my eye on a Camry 2010+ or the 2013 avalon. Dad felt I needed something a we bit bigger and then he suggested the RX 350 which I have always loved but never expressed to him. And here we are ....I thank you for your pointers on the cars It never really registered to me that a 2010 Lexus would have been made in 2009 I guess I knew but I never thought about it in depth. That was very informative and gives me a new perception on how to decide on years, And since reading your post have been looking more 2011+. I am not too worried about being able to use cheaper gas because no matter the class of the vehicle I like to use the 91 or (premium?) gas. But that is informative for sure. No history of Lexus in my household unfortunately. The fact that I should be able to get 5k-6k off of MSRP makes me feel like it may be best to go with the 2013. Thank you for shedding your wealth of knowledge on me. Daddy and I are going next week and I shall update you all for certain ...Thank you so much for the informative, detailed reply.

Cossie1600- I agree I have never been a TomTom Girl. Only time shall tell what to do! What to do .
Old 02-21-13, 10:01 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

It's much harder to locate a non NAV car than NAV, the price difference might not be as big once you factor the discount too. Personally if it was $2K or less, I would go for it. The RX system can do more than navaigation too, so keep that in mind. Also you sit pretty far back in the RX, hard to reach over to type on the Tomtom
Old 02-22-13, 07:26 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

it's a lexus so just get a navi man. Also, if you special one without navi you're paying retail, which you're better off buying a car at invoice price that come with navi. take it as it's "free upgrade"
Old 02-22-13, 11:06 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Samantha, congratulations on your choice of car and options, that part is definitely on target. As far as new/used/ or used from 2010 up they are all considered Gen III's and basically very much the same with the 2013 model having a few grill upgrades.

Maybe you read the 2010 RX was recently voted the most dependable use Luxury SUV available ??? That's just saying the current generation RX is designed and screwed together really well so more kudo's toward your decision.

Ask yourself how long you want to keep it, how many miles a year you drive, and how well you maintain and keep your cars. That should help you decide whether to take your dad's generosity full tilt to a new one or how used you should go.

Other than tire brands (that do make a difference), the only driving difference will be whether you get the RX350 or RX450h. The latter will add for most people about 10mpg average above the 350 along with more power but it's considered a model grade higher so will cost a tad more as well.

Good luck in your decision.