RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Console lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 01:37 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console lights?

Anyone else bothered by the lack of illuminated buttons in the overhead console?

Was fumbling around last night looking for a Homelink button when I realized unlike my last three cars with Homelink these aren't lit.

Disappointing on a $40k car.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Last edited by deilenberg; 02-19-13 at 08:32 AM. Reason: smelling pistchake
Old 02-18-13, 02:34 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberg
Anyone else bothered by the lack of illumined buttons in the overhead console?

Was fumbling around last night looking for a Homelink button when I realized unlike my last three cars with Homelink these aren't lit.

Disappointing on a $40k car.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
The home link buttons in the 2013 are now at the bottom of the rearview mirror, which is easy to find and see. Still have to fumble for the map lights though.
Old 02-18-13, 03:27 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Just seems odd on a car this expensive that the engineers (Pursuing Perfection) would miss the need to LIGHT all the controls one might use when it's dark in the truck/car. Took the P car to the gym late this afternoon, turning into the driveway around 6PM I reached over, pressed the button with one-dot on it (#1 homelink button) and voila! the garage door started opening. Very odd oversight (as is not having the mode control buttons for the audio system illuminated..)
Old 02-18-13, 03:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Yup, the lack of illuminated buttons is up there literally with the missing sunglass holder. Some members have resorted to placing fluorescent tape on them. The shape helps me figure it out.
Old 02-18-13, 06:03 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

...and I agree it is a missing feature Lexus went backward on when it was eliminated -- a failure in Lexus' pursuit of perfection. Fortunately I've not been in a moon-less or pitch black situation yet where I couldn't locate the right button to push. I'm fortunate that there has generally been enough ambient light to figure out where to push, or perhaps I'm used to figuring out the location of the 2nd button I use most of the time to park my RX, so I don't consider this as a major failure compared to other things, in an otherwise well thought out ride.
Old 02-19-13, 07:29 AM
deilenberg
Rookie

Wonder if Lexus has a "suggested routes to perfection" (ie - product improvement) submission form on their website. That would show they are serious about PoP.. Meanwhile - I'll be thinking about some way to illuminate that area.
Old 02-19-13, 08:29 AM
deilenberg
Rookie

Hmmm.. thinking "mod"..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reactive-Lig...item19d8ebcce9

Thinking mounting it so it shines across the buttons - we know there is 12V in the overhead console (the interior lights need it)..

There are others I found...

Only problem I see is they may be took bright, and since LEDs are iffy on dimming (by dropping voltage with a resistor) it might be impractical.
Old 02-19-13, 09:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

I have LED bulbs in the dome lights and they still dim, albeit a little less gracefully. There is a way to remove the entire front overhead console. I asked the dealer a while back but haven't figured it out yet. I imagine it's just a few tabs that have to be released. Nobody has pursued a fix to this problem. Don, feel free to give it a try.
Old 02-19-13, 04:28 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did try to make a mod to this and I believe there is a thread somewhere in here. Overhead console is easily removed but illuminating the buttons requires drilling a hole through them as they do not back light. I have learned to just aim for the pin hole light and have my garage door set for the center button.
Old 02-19-13, 04:36 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...console+lights

here it is......
Old 02-19-13, 06:31 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Ah good find. Each time i read that thread it makes me sad.

The 2nd Gen RX had lots of lights in the overhead console, even lights for the sunroof buttons. Our 3rd Gen's console is dark and depressing at night

a little off topic but the 2nd Gen RX had lights in all the interior door handles... ours do not
Old 02-19-13, 07:05 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 606 Likes on 425 Posts
Question Backlit from?

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I did try to make a mod to this and I believe there is a thread somewhere in here. Overhead console is easily removed but illuminating the buttons requires drilling a hole through them as they do not back light. I have learned to just aim for the pin hole light and have my garage door set for the center button.
I read the other thread about drilling a hole in the button, but I don't quite understand where the back lighting was supposed to come from, the tiny pin light for the console?

My Sienna has backlit homelink buttons and effectively the lighting is a similar idea. A tiny light behind the button and each button has either 1, 2, or 3 little dots of clear plastic.
Old 02-20-13, 06:43 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The overhead lighting dilemma... Again

I see that this is an inherent problem in many Japanese cars. My 2003 VW golf lit more items then my Lexus. They have improved it slightly in 2013 by illuminating the LED light switch. My question is, now that we have lighting there has anyone tried to illuminate the rest of the buttons? I'm too chicken to try anything lol, it was tried on a pre 2013 RX in another thread.
Old 02-20-13, 03:40 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what Lexus should do, lets hope someone will read this... I know we are being picky but we want perfection.

Here are some pics and my request list for future Lexus purchases:

-Illuminate ALL overhead lights
-light the seat memory buttons
-light the middle up/down arrows on the controller
-light pwr vol/ tune/scroll and temp lettering on the radio
-light the vent open/close icons

Any other requests?
Attached Thumbnails Console lights?-console.jpg   Console lights?-center.jpg  
Old 02-20-13, 10:23 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

very cheap cost cutting, I was shocked when we first noticed this.

Quick Reply: Console lights?