RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 06:09 PM
fpurnell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the Nitto Crosstek CUV tires for their RX? I have them on my '08 Hybrid Highlander and love them. They are listed at $199 each. I think they are exclusive at Tire Kingdom/Merchant tire dealers. I will have to replace my '10 RX tires before new year and am starting my search.
Old 12-09-13, 05:21 PM
Jay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned 3 of the gen 3 RX and all came new with Michelin. I would be concerned about switching because they produce a quiet comfortable ride and I can get 60,000 miles out of them by rotating every 5K.
Jay1
Old 12-16-13, 08:29 PM
notdedyet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clhug
Need to put my first set of new tires on my '10 450h AWD, 19" tire. I have the Dunlops now, got 35k on them, and could probably squeeze a few more miles out but don't really want to go through winter in Iowa with what's left of them.

So I'm convinced by what I've read in this thread and a few other threads to go with the Michelin Latitudes. I have 2 questions relating to this though.

I saw an earlier post about making sure to get the Latitude HP and not the just plain Latitude. Someone else posted asking what the difference was, which was never answered. So what is the difference? I only see the "HP" type listed on Tire Rack, and other sites I've looked at. I got a quote from my Lexus dealer for "Michelin Latitude" tires. Can I be sure they're the "HP" or would I need to ask? (I will certainly still call around before going to the dealer, but they're quote was $368 per tire installed including roadside hazard and free lifetime rotate, or $1472 for the set of 4)

Secondly, why are there 3 different Michelin Latitude HP tires listed as compatible with my vehicle on Tire Rack (and again, I found on a few other vendor specific sites as well), and how do I know which one to get? Everybody in this thread only mentions the general "Latitude" name with no reference that I can tell as to the fact there are 3 different ones and which one they actually got.

Thank you.
I am reposting this as I have basically the same questions. Anyone?
Old 12-16-13, 09:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by clhug
Need to put my first set of new tires on my '10 450h AWD, 19" tire. I have the Dunlops now, got 35k on them, and could probably squeeze a few more miles out but don't really want to go through winter in Iowa with what's left of them.

So I'm convinced by what I've read in this thread and a few other threads to go with the Michelin Latitudes. I have 2 questions relating to this though.

I saw an earlier post about making sure to get the Latitude HP and not the just plain Latitude. Someone else posted asking what the difference was, which was never answered. So what is the difference? I only see the "HP" type listed on Tire Rack, and other sites I've looked at. I got a quote from my Lexus dealer for "Michelin Latitude" tires. Can I be sure they're the "HP" or would I need to ask? (I will certainly still call around before going to the dealer, but they're quote was $368 per tire installed including roadside hazard and free lifetime rotate, or $1472 for the set of 4)

Secondly, why are there 3 different Michelin Latitude HP tires listed as compatible with my vehicle on Tire Rack (and again, I found on a few other vendor specific sites as well), and how do I know which one to get? Everybody in this thread only mentions the general "Latitude" name with no reference that I can tell as to the fact there are 3 different ones and which one they actually got.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by notdedyet
I am reposting this as I have basically the same questions. Anyone?

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-screen-shot-2013-12-17-at-12.03.44-am.png

One of the three is an "H" rated tire. Avoid that one.

The other two are "V" rated tires. One is the OE spec which Michelin builds and sells to Toyota/Lexus for installation at the factory. These types of tires are sometimes available to the public but not always. Sometimes the OE spec tire is of a lower quality, usually with a lower tread life rating. Not so in this case. If you compare the specs of this tire to the other "V" rated tire you will see that the OE weighs less by three pounds. This means there is a different tire construction though the specs are the same otherwise. Same tread pattern on the two. Am going to guess that the lighter tire is used on the RX450h to aid in the MPG ratings.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=22

If you drive a hybrid and are trying to get the most MPG out of your RX then you will want the lighter tire. Otherwise, most tire shops will more than likely be selling the non-OE version of this tire and you would be hard pressed to tell otherwise.
Old 12-17-13, 10:14 PM
wheats
Driver School Candidate

Default Costco tire help

Aloha all

Wife's 2011 RX 450 H
235 x 55 x 19 OEM Dunlop tires with 27k miles

I've been reading the tire thread and it looks like the Michelin Latitude HP V-rated are a good choice.
Went to Costco and they only offer the Michelin Pilots or Bridge stone Ecopia in the 19" size.
Does anyone have experience with either of these?

I tried Costco.com and they don't even list the Latitude in the 19".
I wanted to use Costco because they re-balance the tires upon rotations where as the small local shops here don't.

Thanks
Ken
Old 12-18-13, 02:56 AM
mshumack
Driver

I have the Pilots on my RX300 (16" tires). They are "Consumer Reports Best Buy" and well rated at Tire Rack (consumer ratings). I have had no issues or complaints on them and would buy them again.
Old 12-18-13, 05:26 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Jus replace the continental lx sport for the Pirelli scorpion verde. Much better than the conti but still not as good as the michelins. Michelins are still overall much more smoother and quieter.
Old 12-18-13, 07:37 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up with 4 V rated Michelin Latitude HP's. Seems that many are happy with those on this forum and now I am too. Very nice tire. Quiet, smooth, and although not fully "tested" they do seem to grip fine.

Last edited by CapeDave; 01-02-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 09:16 PM
wheats
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mshumack
I have the Pilots on my RX300 (16" tires). They are "Consumer Reports Best Buy" and well rated at Tire Rack (consumer ratings). I have had no issues or complaints on them and would buy them again.
Thanks for the feed back. I was leaning towards Michelin and if the Pilots are my only choice I'm glad to hear something positive.

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I ended up with 4 V rated Michelin Latitude HP's. Seems that many are happy with those on this forum and now I am too. Very ncie tire. Quiet, smooth, and although not fully "tested" they do seem to grip fine.
That's what I wanted but Costco doesn't carry them in 19"
Thanks
Ken
Old 12-23-13, 11:14 AM
RadSwim
Driver School Candidate

wheats-
Please read my post from 11-14-13 in this thread. I really disliked Michelin Pilot HX on my 2010 RX350 -- very different from Latitude HP.
RadSwim
Old 12-23-13, 05:41 PM
wheats
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RadSwim
wheats-
Please read my post from 11-14-13 in this thread. I really disliked Michelin Pilot HX on my 2010 RX350 -- very different from Latitude HP.
RadSwim
Thanks for that. I did research a little more and the pilots weren't great. At this point I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Ecopia @ Costco and even they have a spoty record.
I will have to check out Napa or a smaller tire co. here before I decide.

Aloha
Ken
Old 12-23-13, 05:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wheats
Thanks for that. I did research a little more and the pilots weren't great. At this point I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Ecopia @ Costco and even they have a spoty record.
I will have to check out Napa or a smaller tire co. here before I decide.

Aloha
Ken
Wait to see what tire coupon will be in their next flyer. Usually rotates between Michelin and Bridgestone. They may also add more tires after the first of the year once they do not need to be stocking the shelves for the holidays and things go back to normal.
Old 01-02-14, 04:48 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay1
I have owned 3 of the gen 3 RX and all came new with Michelin. I would be concerned about switching because they produce a quiet comfortable ride and I can get 60,000 miles out of them by rotating every 5K.
Jay1
Will be picking up my new 2014 RX-F Sport in the next couple of days and hoping for the Michelins, too!
Old 01-02-14, 07:02 PM
wheats
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Wait to see what tire coupon will be in their next flyer. Usually rotates between Michelin and Bridgestone. They may also add more tires after the first of the year once they do not need to be stocking the shelves for the holidays and things go back to normal.
Well said. I went to Costco today and they said the Michelin Latitudes are available but they would have to order them and it would take a week or two.

Ordered and hopefully on their way
Old 01-05-14, 12:24 AM
hqduong
Driver School Candidate

Default Michelin Latitude Tour HP

I am looking for new tires and I am going to get Michelin since I am a loyal fan of Michelin.

However I am confused as to why there are two Latitude HP.
I drive 5000 miles a month, so mileage is king for me as well as well as a smooth quiet ride.

I found one with the Green-X technology and it weighs 32 pounds, and I found one without the green-X technology, but it weighs 29!

Which one will yield better mileage for me?

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread