RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 07:25 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsutoratos
I think i'm also going to order th Ecopia as well, looks like it has a 30 day trial ?
It does have a 30 day buy and try as part of the warranty, correct.

The fine print is:
-The dismount/remount cost is on you
-We will pick up the return freight of the tires
-There is a $7 per tire UPS call tag fee that will need to be covered ($28)
-There is a form that the manufacture asks you to fill out to describe why you didn't like the product
-The buy and try is only good when you purchase 4 tires.
-Replacement tire can be from any manufacture

Bottom line, if you buy the tire and you don't like it, you can return it for the cost of dismount, $28 and a quick form to fill out. You would also need to purchase the replacement tires up front, and then be reimbursed the cost once we receive them back.

Most of the bigger tire manufactures are now offering this. Continental offers a 60 day buy and try satisfaction guarantee on the Cross Contact LX20 with Eco Plus Technology
Old 10-08-14, 08:53 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is going to be a bit ot, i bought the michelin pilot sport a/s 3 (order P334340) in june. They are great on the bmw. Are there any tires for the rx that has the feel of the pilot sport a/s3 or it just doesn't exist ?
Old 10-08-14, 10:35 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

What size are you needing?
Old 10-08-14, 01:22 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have an update from the last time I posted about my newly installed Michelins. That was on 03-05-13. I'm now a little over 83k on my Lexus and the tires are showing the wear bars. I went in to get my tires rotated and the tech at discount tire recommended that I start considering replacement tires. I was surprised to hear him say that especially since the tires only have 33.5k miles on them. Far less then the manufactures mileage warranty of 55K. My original set of Michelins that came with my Lexus could have easily passed the manufactures mileage warranty. I actually switched them out a little earlier because I wanted tires with more thread. I replaced them a few miles short of 50k. I don't know if Michelin has changed the chemical compound of the tires or their manufacturing process, but I did not get the mileage stated in their tire warranty. I've had them rotated on time and air pressure was checked by them weekly. The plus is they've worn evenly all around. I probably wont be buying another set even though I loved the ride and overall feel of the tires on my RX. The cost of the tires, and overall mileage from this set are the two main reasons I wont be getting them again. Does anyone have any suggestions on what tires I should consider? Any new tires out now that yall have tried and recommend?
Old 10-08-14, 01:52 PM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing a lot of discussion about Scorpion Verde vs. Ecopia. FWIW, I tried the Ecopia and swapped them out with the 30 day buy & try guarantee. Switched to the Scorpions and was much happier. The difference in handling was noticeable, in case that's a priority to you. Over 30k miles on the Pirelli's and still happy with them.
Old 10-08-14, 11:35 PM
vados2009
Driver School Candidate

Yes handling is important to me, especially that Im been spoiled by isf as well , but I hear all this complains that verdes no good in the snow , decrease mpg and road noise going over 50 mph. Is that just certain people or its pretty common ? AJ at tirerack.com probably knows more about that huh?!
Old 10-08-14, 11:37 PM
vados2009
Driver School Candidate

Also AJ do we get any clublexus hook ups at tirerack.com ? just a thought )
Old 10-09-14, 07:33 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vados2009
Yes handling is important to me, especially that Im been spoiled by isf as well , but I hear all this complains that verdes no good in the snow , decrease mpg and road noise going over 50 mph. Is that just certain people or its pretty common ? AJ at tirerack.com probably knows more about that huh?!
Can't speak to the MPG as I don't track it that closely...but if there was a dropoff from previous tires I haven't noticed it. Keep in mind that people often review tires when they're still new...more tread equals more rolling resistance which equals less MPG.

2013 was a brutal winter here in NJ. No problems in light snow. Haven't really tested it in deep snow.

Haven't noticed an issue with road noise, although they may be getting a little louder now that they have over 35k on them.

To me, the improvement in handling and road confidence outweighed any small gains or losses in those other categories.
Old 10-09-14, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

vados2009, the Verdes are good in the snow. My daily commute consists of some steep and curvy hills. Even during the nasty 2013 winter RXinNJ mentioned, I had no problems whatsoever. That was without snow mode on too.
Old 10-09-14, 10:06 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hy guys,

my problem is with the tyre: in march i asked my dealer about a new summer-tyres (Europe, Hungary, before, i used Dunlop SportMaxx 235//55/r19 101v for about 25.000 miles). He advised me the Continental Sportcontact5 FR N0 101Y. After halt year and 12.500 miles the tyres has totally worn, i need to buy new tyres again next year. I heard that the tyre mentioned above is a specific tyre for Porsche Cayenne and the advise was a totally idiot from my dealer? it is true?
Old 10-09-14, 10:41 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

The Pirelli is either a love it or hate it tire. People who have owned it seem to like it. I drove on the new Pirelli Scorpion AS+ about a month ago and didn't really care for it. In the wet, it seemed to slide around quite a bit in our Porsche Cayenne's.

When you drive it next to the Bridgestone Ecopia or the Continental Cross Contact LX20 in a back to back scenario, it really falls short.
Old 10-09-14, 10:45 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Also, no discount, per say.

Prior to purchase, if you click any of the links I provide, or the banner in my sig, Club Lexus gets a kickback for the order. This helps in keeping costs of running the forum down/free. Believe it or not, running a forum is quite a task.

This is why my sig says Support Club Lexus!!!
Old 10-09-14, 11:41 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
The Pirelli is either a love it or hate it tire. People who have owned it seem to like it. I drove on the new Pirelli Scorpion AS+ about a month ago and didn't really care for it. In the wet, it seemed to slide around quite a bit in our Porsche Cayenne's.

When you drive it next to the Bridgestone Ecopia or the Continental Cross Contact LX20 in a back to back scenario, it really falls short.
Something happened when they added that "Plus" designation to the tire. Your reviewers (and I agree) preferred it over the Ecopia in this test from June 2012:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=160

I found this article which explains some of the differences in the "Plus" line:

"Among the specific claims, Pirelli said the new product offers 20-percent lower rolling resistance, 40-percent longer tread life and 7-percent lower road noise generation than the existing A/S version"

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...pion-verde-a-s

Sounds like they went to a harder compound at the expense of traction, especially in the wet. I have the original Scorpion Verde and have been very happy with it.
Old 10-09-14, 01:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I have about 17K on the Verdes (A/S, not Plus). They're definitely firmer in turns than the OE Dunlop Grandtreks they replaced. Those made me feel uneasy on wet and dry pavement towards the end of their pitiful 16K life. Once it reached that point, I had to get rid of them. Meanwhile, the Verdes are still holding strong though I kept it slow the other day. The road was wet and covered with leaves.

If the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopias are anything like the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas I had on the 330, I would recommend them. They were a blast in the snow.
Old 10-23-14, 10:37 AM
Poker450H
Driver School Candidate

I am new to this forum - although I have read this entire thread & the previous one devoted to this topic. Thank you Anita for starting this thread.

I need to replace the tires on my 2010 450H. I am replacing the dealer installed Dunlops, which we put over 45k miles on. Like everyone else, didn't like those, so will be replacing with something else. Based on the info on this thread and reviews on TireRack, I think I have it narrowed down to 2 models:

Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 422
Michelin Latitude Tour HP

I have the 19" rim. I live in CT. We do get a lot of snow, and the local roads are very curvy and narrow. I would also prefer a softer ride vs. a harder, sportier ride. Based on info, I ruled out the Pirelli's as people said they had a harder ride.

Seems like the majority were putting on the Michelin's for a while. Now seems like there has been a switch to Bridgestone's.

An suggestions as to which would be better in the bad weather & offer a softer ride?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread