RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 04:00 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry82
My car came with the Dunlop Grandtreks. Earlier this week, I drove a loaner (also a RX 350, same year, very close in mileage) that had the Michelin Latitude Tour HPs and found them to be noticeably quieter and smoother, especially at higher speeds. This, of course, is nothing new to RX owners and I've gathered the general consensus is that people ditch the Dunlops once they've worn out... with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires being a top replacement pick.

My question is, which is favored between the Michelins and the Pirellis? Has anyone compared those two on the same car? (I apologize if this has been address somewhere else... I'll be honest and say that I haven't read all 31 pages of this thread.)
Here is a review from Tire Rack on both. If you go to each tire individually you can see how consumers rated both. They look very close with scoring low in snow traction which you should not have to worry about in southern CA. They are very close so the tie breaker could be the Pirelli's are much less expense and come with a slightly longer tread warranty.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=137
Old 12-20-15, 08:13 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Finally pulled the OEM, Michelin trash off of my 2011 RX350. I set them on fire, p!ssed on them, buried them and salted the earth above them.
Replaced with Blizzak DM-V2's and they are thrilling. I've got enough winter experience on them now to fairly comment. Ice, packed snow, soupy snow, hills, accelerating, braking, everything is pretty much excellent. I'm super happy with them. I think they were under $900 Canadian, all-in, installed.
I really wanted to get some WS80's because I'm more familiar with them and the WS line. I was worried the DMV2's might be awful like their LM, performance snow tires, but they're fantastic.
Old 12-21-15, 10:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
Finally pulled the OEM, Michelin trash off of my 2011 RX350. I set them on fire, p!ssed on them, buried them and salted the earth above them.
Replaced with Blizzak DM-V2's and they are thrilling. I've got enough winter experience on them now to fairly comment. Ice, packed snow, soupy snow, hills, accelerating, braking, everything is pretty much excellent. I'm super happy with them. I think they were under $900 Canadian, all-in, installed.
I really wanted to get some WS80's because I'm more familiar with them and the WS line. I was worried the DMV2's might be awful like their LM, performance snow tires, but they're fantastic.

wow? i like my michelins?
Old 12-28-15, 02:25 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree about the Michelins and the Brigestones. When I was in Canada I put Winter Bridgestone Winter Duelers on my Ford Truck and nothing was able to stop me, ice or blizzard snows. One day when the drive was a sheet of ice covered by water, I put my truck in 4WD and stomped it to try to spin out. Wouldn't spin. They were glued to the ice.
Old 12-29-15, 06:20 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

Default Low milage on the original tires

Originally Posted by kitlz
Thought it was about time to start a thread on replacement tires for the RX to benefit other members. For those of you who have changed out the OE tires, whether to an OE or non-OE brand, please provide some basic information. And keep it specific to 3rd gen RXs only.
  1. What tire brand/model did you get?
  2. Tire size?
  3. Price paid and place of purchase?
  4. What tire did they replace and mileage?
  5. Other tires considered (if applicable)?
  6. What do you like most/least about your new tires?
  7. Updates?

I’ll start. It's been almost a year since I switched to the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes for my ’10 450h with the 19” rims (original thread here). They replaced OE Dunlop Grandtreks which were failing at 16.5K miles. The Pirellis were installed at my favorite local tire store, part of a chain, at $249 per tire. Total price with alignment, necessary charges, taxes, and discount - $1,179.50. On the short list were the Yokohama Paradas (~$300 less) and OE Michelin Latitudes ($120 more). It was a tough choice but the Pirellis won out for the better treadwear rating and decent warranty.

First impression with the Pirellis, the RX felt higher and more confident on the roads. Over bumps the drive is firm but not bumpy. They definitely compliment the sport suspension well. I haven’t experienced road noise and don’t have to fill the tires often. As far as negatives, the increased mileage claim hasn’t panned out. The Pirellis are a few pounds heavier than the Dunlops. But they’re definitely keepers. I’ll post how they’re wearing after the annual post-winter alignment next month.
My 2010 RX450h had a lot of tire noise starting at around 20,000 miles. Then by 25,000 I noticed enough front tire wear to go ahead and replace the noisy Dunlops. I put on Michelin's but can't remember the exact model. I sold that RX in August and replaced it with a 2015 RX450h. Back to Dunlops again. I can report the replacement Michelin's on my 2010 had 27,000 miles on them when I sold my 2010 RX450h. The total mileage on the RX was 52,000. The Michelins were still whisper quiet and smooth. I picked the Michelin tire that fit the vehicles 19" wheels and was noted to be the quietest tire in the Michelin list. The tire installer warned me that it was not rated at the same speed as the earlier Dunlops, but I never had a problem with the tires. I never exceeded 90mph anyway. I would definitely recommend a Michelin. They seem to have better life expectancy. I also think inflation to 32-34 lbs is best. That's a bit higher than the recommended, but since air will only leak out, and it gets cold in Winter, I prefer for the tire to be only slightly over inflated on occasion, than under inflated most of the time. You get better wear too. I have never in my life seen a tire with the "Over Inflated" pattern. Only the under inflated pattern. It seems front tires, no matter how good your alignment is, will always wear more on the outside edges, due to cornering. So why not over inflate them a little to move the wear toward the center. Then with rotation of the tires, they should all wear out evenly at the same time, all the way across the tire, not just the outside edges. It works for me, and has for 20 years.
Old 12-29-15, 08:31 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
I agree about the Michelins and the Brigestones. When I was in Canada I put Winter Bridgestone Winter Duelers on my Ford Truck and nothing was able to stop me, ice or blizzard snows. One day when the drive was a sheet of ice covered by water, I put my truck in 4WD and stomped it to try to spin out. Wouldn't spin. They were glued to the ice.
um.....what?
Old 12-30-15, 07:01 AM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
um.....what?
His truck was in neutral? Excellent traction control? A 4WD truck will spin the tires on dry pavement if you "stomp it."
Old 01-31-16, 09:56 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

I have had my tires at 36 -37 cold for 5 years now and feel I have better wear. So I agree with you about a pressure slightly higher than the recommended to improve tire edge wear.
Old 02-05-16, 08:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Finally had a chance to drive the Premiers through some snow this morning. It was still coming down heavily with about 3" on the ground when I left. The roads were minimally treated but driven on. Snow mode off. They don't like slush which is similar to other tires I've had. Otherwise they were pretty confident going up and down the hills. The only time I slipped (lights flashed) was going over railroad tracks, typical when it's wet or snow covered. But no loss of control at all. I'm happy with them.
Old 02-18-16, 09:03 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wondering about Michelin Premiers or HP Latitudes. I currently have the Latitudes, but the fronts are getting worn. I hate that, because I always have to buy 4. ADD.

I like quiet first and traction a very close second. Well, safety first actually. So, if I do not hear a good reason to change, I will get the HP Latitudes. They are Z rated. I hate to just give them the old rear set as they are in superb condition. Is there any thing else I could do with them? Donate to the needy or someone here who could use them? Thanks.
Old 02-26-16, 01:01 AM
rlbrock8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very pleased with Michelin Tires. I am looking into buying a set of Michelin's for my RX 350. I was told Michelin does not make the LTX in 235-55-19. If anyone has purchased Michelin for their RX 350, which type did you get?
Old 02-26-16, 03:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I have the Premier LTX in 235/55/19. Info and pic are in post 446. Latitude are the OE option but more expensive.
Old 03-21-16, 04:52 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I have the Premier LTX in 235/55/19. Info and pic are in post 446. Latitude are the OE option but more expensive.
How are you liking them so far? Noticed you had them since October, so I assume you should at least have a general opinion of them. Need to replace the Dunlops that came on the RX I picked up a few months ago, and the Premiers are in my sights.
Old 03-21-16, 05:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Zmon, congrats on your 350. I'm pretty happy overall with the Premiers since I had them installed five months ago. They're not as firm as the Verdes but still confident feeling. Just the way I like it. And no comparison to the Dunlops. Wow, those were super soft. I think the Premiers are a good choice for the RX.
Old 03-23-16, 07:51 AM
mattsk42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best all season tire

I do not care about ride comfort or sound level at all. Yes, seriously.

Priority is performance in the snow and tire tread life. I do not want to buy two sets of tires and don't need THAT much performance in the snow that it would be worth it.

I just need the BEST performance in the snow in a tire that can be used year round without falling apart too soon. I want to use these tires for many miles.

Price isn't a huge concern.

2010 RX 450h in AWD.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread