RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 02:01 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am struggling with the Michelin thing as well. Not one of those Michelin die hards but Tirerack has the Michelin Premier LTX as top rated for the RX350 in the 18" size but only comes with tread of 8.5/32nds new (versus most others that start with 10 or 11 new). Ratings still say good tread life despite that.
Old 11-06-16, 01:59 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
Check for something called cupping or feathering. It's harder to notice visually but can cause your noise.
I wouldn't use Michelin tires if they were free and the most knowledgeable tire people i personally know agree with me. Still, others swear by them, so it's kind of like arguing about brands of oil. Just some internet guy's opinion.
If you don't see cupping/feathering, get the vehicle checked properly. Don't buy tires hoping it'll fix your mystery noise.
thanks ColAngus...
yeah i thought of the cupping thing too, and what might be causing it.
I think my plan is to throw tires on it this week and see if it goes away. If it does fix the issue, great!...by the time they start cupping again, my lease will be over.
If it's still there, then i'll bring it to dealer...i'm due for my 30K mile service anyways
*fingers crossed*

still trying to figure out which tire to go with
anybody try the goodyear comfortread tires...or whatever they're called?
Old 11-08-16, 10:05 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

F
Originally Posted by greeknasty
just curious if you could give reasoning behind not using michelin's and also what tire would you recommend.
I've had two cars that came with Michelin and they just performed poorly in every way. Saggy, chirpy, poor wet traction, nothing short of dangerous in snow, and, the way they wore out was like nothing I've seen. It was as if the tread blocks started peeling off and becoming separated at the corners.
I've owned many other tires that I've used and abused (accidentally or intentionally) in a variety of ways and never experienced the pile of issues as these Michelin. There are so many other choices, so it's simple for me to choose to boycott.
I always use snow tires in winter (Blizzaks) so I'm not the most typical customer, but I enjoy the grip of higher performance tires in summer since I know they'll never see cold/snow. I tried the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 or whatever idiotic name they have. Their reviews are quite poor, but I was perfectly happy with them. But, I will say that I haven't driven enough miles on them to judge fairly, at this point and they're now off for winter.
I'll update next year, I guess.

Last edited by ColAngus; 11-08-16 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 01:04 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
thanks ColAngus...
I think my plan is to throw tires on it this week and see if it goes away. If it does fix the issue, great!...by the time they start cupping again, my lease will be over.
If it's still there, then i'll bring it to dealer...i'm due for my 30K mile service anyways
*fingers crossed*

My experience with Goodyears has not been positive:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9616139

Stay far far away. Absolutely love Michelin Premier LTX. I'm so happy I dumped Goodyears within 30 days of purchase for Michelins.
And TireRack no longer sells Goodyear Assurance series for whatever [marketing] reason.

Those that are concerned with tread depth of Premier LTX tire, keep in mind, they have groves that expand as the tire wears out to keep the similar level of grip throughout entire tire life.
Old 11-17-16, 07:07 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
My experience with Goodyears has not been positive:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9616139

Stay far far away. Absolutely love Michelin Premier LTX. I'm so happy I dumped Goodyears within 30 days of purchase for Michelins.
And TireRack no longer sells Goodyear Assurance series for whatever [marketing] reason.

Those that are concerned with tread depth of Premier LTX tire, keep in mind, they have groves that expand as the tire wears out to keep the similar level of grip throughout entire tire life.
Did you get the Premier XL V rated tire or the H rated. I was curious whether the XL tire will make the ride a little stiffer or whether it is unnoticeable. The guy at Tire Rack told me that the car was designed for a V rated tire and that's what he would put on but it would be OK to put an H rated tire on there.
Old 11-18-16, 10:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
Did you get the Premier XL V rated tire or the H rated. I was curious whether the XL tire will make the ride a little stiffer or whether it is unnoticeable. The guy at Tire Rack told me that the car was designed for a V rated tire and that's what he would put on but it would be OK to put an H rated tire on there.
I originally ordered T (118MPH) Goodyears at Sams. When they arrived, service department refused to put them on my vehicle because the speed rating was more than 1 range off.
Since the RX came with V-rated (149MPH) tire from the factory, I could only go as low as H. I then got the V-rated Gooodyears ordered (which I had replaced with Michelins a month later).

RX450h comes pre-packaged with 19" rims, so there was no price or other spec difference between H and V rated Michelin tires.
I see that the 18" do have XL category for the V-rated tire:
V: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+LTX&partnum=36VR8PRLTXXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2013&autoModel=RX%20450h&autoModClar=AWD
H: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+LTX&partnum=36HR8PRLTX&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2013&autoModel=RX%20450h&autoModClar=AWD

Since H-rated (130MPH) tire is within factory spec and does cost less, I would not hesitate putting it on instead.

I am running T-rated (118MPH) XL XIce Xi-2 set during winter:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+X-Ice+Xi2&partnum=555TR8LXI2XLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
No issues with the sidewall being too stiff. Granted, different tire model.

Last edited by vlad_a; 11-18-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-22-16, 03:57 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Michelin Premier LTX first impression

I needed new tires for my 2010 RX450h, 19 inch rims, so I thought I would give you my first impression. They are replacing Yokohama Spec-X 101V I bought a few years back. The Yokohamas replaced the OEM Bridgestone 400's which was a "Big" improvement.
My wife mostly drives the car now so I get to drive it on long trips.
My first impression of the Michelin are...
... They're Okay.!
That's it. I feel the Spec-X's were just as good as the LTX's. The Yokohamas had a tread ware of 420 and the Michelin are like 650... So that could be the difference. Now I got close to 30,000 on the Yokohamas and only time will what I will get on the Michelins ... Maybe after A few 1000 miles my review might change.
The thing I did notice is that these tires have excellent gripping... which imay be good for cornering but I noticed my mpg display showed less then the 27 mpg I had gotten with the Yokohama's.

Last edited by Gampa; 11-22-16 at 04:00 PM. Reason: wording correction
Old 12-18-16, 04:56 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
thanks ColAngus...
*fingers crossed*

my issue ended up being a bad wheel bearing, replaced under warranty
Car is back to being quiet and lovely again
tested out the new Good Years yesterday morning on my way to work at 5:30 in quite a bit of snow. They did a great job, and I felt confident the entire way to work...about a 25 minute cummute.
Glad I had the new tires... even though I really didn't neeed the old ones replaced just yet
Old 02-03-17, 09:48 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big thumbs up for Michelin Premier LTX - V rated. Excellent in every way. Hopefully they will last 50K miles.
Old 02-04-17, 01:01 AM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

Thought I would share my tire experience with others to maybe give some ideas for winter tires.
I live in the Colorado Rockies at 10k feet and deal with a ton of snow every winter. I have tried quite a few all weather and dedicated snow tires over the years. I own a 2012 rx 350 and a 2005 GX470. I have come to rely on only one brand for winter tires. Nokian Winter tires are the best I have ever used.
I have the hakkapeliitta 7 on my RX and the hakkapeliitta 8 on my GX. Both are amazing tires and both are studded. Compared to the Blizzaks and Ice X lines these are in a different class in my opinion. If you have rough winters in your area I would highly recommend checking these tires out.
The following users liked this post:
cmeldon (02-19-17)
Old 02-18-17, 11:29 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tires

Hi guys. It's time to replace OEM Michelin Latitudes and looking for sensible recommendations on all-season alternatives for 235x60R18 size.

Thanks
Old 02-18-17, 01:07 PM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a dedicated 3RX tire thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...re-thread.html
Old 02-19-17, 05:55 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Phlorida - Huh? This is the dedicated 3RX tire thread.
Old 02-19-17, 06:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

jdshaw, the thread was merged here.
Old 02-20-17, 05:25 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Hi guys. It's time to replace OEM Michelin Latitudes and looking for sensible recommendations on all-season alternatives for 235x60R18 size.

Thanks
I'm the resident Michelin Hater, so please allow me to advise "anything except Michelin".
I went with Hankook Ventus Evo2 or some dumb named thing. They're summer only and i was happy with them at the end of last season (despite their poor reviews).

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread