RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 08:56 PM
Bradaigh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Touring Tires 2015 RX350 235/55 R19

Hello,

We purchased a 2015 RX350 new, have had no problems.
vehicle has 29,000 miles on it.

My question: Since buying the vehicle, my spouse has suffered serious brain injury’s resulting in strokes and all that go with them
Is anyone aware of a 235/55 R19 that would give a smoother ride. Less noise would be great as well.

The OEM tires are Michelin, however my spouse can not ride in the vehicle due to the stiff ride of the vehicle.

Tire pressure checked, suspension checked, all in order.

A friend mentioned that a all season touring tire would help soften the ride on the streets of the (City of Atlanta)

Suggestions or Thoughts on tires? I would trade for a sedan with a softer ride, but medical bills, so tires came up .
Old 11-09-17, 10:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Probably you can get tires with "higher profile", meaning thicker sidewalls to absorb the bumps on the road. Definitely stay away from "high performance or ultra Performance tires" bc these are low profile and very stiff sidewalls.

I don't know what size wheels you got on your RX.. Most RXs come with 18 inch wheels and there are a lot more tire choices in 18 inch wheels vs the 19 inches I got on my RX450h due to the "F Sport APPEARANCE Package".

If there is an America's Tires stores near you, then I would start there or any reputable tire shops. Ask for a trial period in case if you want to switch out to a different set of tires. I know Michelin offers this in writing.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Bradaigh
Hello,

We purchased a 2015 RX350 new, have had no problems.
vehicle has 29,000 miles on it.

My question: Since buying the vehicle, my spouse has suffered serious brain injury’s resulting in strokes and all that go with them
Is anyone aware of a 235/55 R19 that would give a smoother ride. Less noise would be great as well.

The OEM tires are Michelin, however my spouse can not ride in the vehicle due to the stiff ride of the vehicle.

Tire pressure checked, suspension checked, all in order.

A friend mentioned that a all season touring tire would help soften the ride on the streets of the (City of Atlanta)

Suggestions or Thoughts on tires? I would trade for a sedan with a softer ride, but medical bills, so tires came up .

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-09-17 at 11:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bradaigh (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 02:52 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...re-thread.html
Bradaigh (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 04:46 AM
Bradaigh
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thank you..

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Probably you can get tires with "higher profile", meaning thicker sidewalls to absorb the bumps on the road. Definitely stay away from "high performance or ultra Performance tires" bc these are low profile and very stiff sidewalls.

I don't know what size wheels you got on your RX.. Most RXs come with 18 inch wheels and there are a lot more tire choices in 18 inch wheels vs the 19 inches I got on my RX450h due to the "F Sport APPEARANCE Package".

If there is an America's Tires stores near you, then I would start there or any reputable tire shops. Ask for a trial period in case if you want to switch out to a different set of tires. I know Michelin offers this in writing.

Good luck.
Thank you for the information. Very kind of you. I will look up this company.
Kind Regards
Old 11-13-17, 12:50 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 RX350 AWD with 19" wheel and have been owning it since new.

I have put on Michelin Premier LTX tires couple weeks ago from American Tires (or Discount Tires) and the ride has been greatly improved. It softens up the bump and freeway junction quite well. Yes I am aware of stiff damping on this RX and I am disappointed with that too as RX450H (with battery weigh 400 lbs extra in the back) doesn't seem to have ride issue.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...er-ltx/p/31529

A little bit of background of my RX tires journey.

My car came with Michelin Latitude OEM and ride is harsh but steering, braking feel are both good. Then my dealer swapped them out with Dunlop Grandtrek with one of their loaners and ride has improved a tiny bit, but tires are very noisy. At around 25K miles, I replaced them with Bridgestone Ecopia H-rated tires and ride has improved a lot and is much quieter, but trade off is steering and braking is not as good as before.

A month ago, my RX was in shop for 60k miles major service and found out the front tires outer edges were worn out due to alignment issue. Then they were rotated to the back as rear tires are still in good shape. Unfortunately one of the worn out tires got a screw in it and American Tires couldn't repair worn out tire. So I took advantage of Michelin $70 rebate and American Tires buy-back of the 2 good Bridgestone Ecopia tires for $90 each and put on Michelin Premier LTX... Surprisingly the Premier LTX is so good... ride has been greatly improved and way better than Bridgestone Ecopia. Steering feels much lighter in low speed and still with good on-center feel on highway speed.. ride is as quiet as Bridgestone Ecopia and braking feels much better too. I have yet to test out in rain but so far I feel really happy about it.

Last edited by wilchan; 11-13-17 at 12:07 PM.
vlad_a (11-15-17)
Old 11-13-17, 05:20 AM
Bradaigh
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up 3rd Generation RX350 Tires

Thank you to all who provided feedback. I do not know how to individually respond.
But you have all been very helpful.

It appears most prefer the M LTX.
One interesting note, was the the RX450H did not have the same ride issue.
I too thought it felt different in 2015, extra weight.

Thank you all again.
Best
Old 11-15-17, 09:36 AM
beansteve
Driver School Candidate

Default Shopping for RX350 tires

Hello first time user. My wife recently bought a 2015 RX350 FWD Lexus. They have Fuzion touring 235/55R19 101V tires on it now. All the rating forums say these are very bad for traction in rain and snow. I would like to hear your opinions on a new set of tires that have good traction in rain and snow and a smooth ride. Living in Wisconsin the weather changes daily.
Old 11-15-17, 11:33 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by beansteve
Hello first time user. My wife recently bought a 2015 RX350 FWD Lexus. They have Fuzion touring 235/55R19 101V tires on it now. All the rating forums say these are very bad for traction in rain and snow. I would like to hear your opinions on a new set of tires that have good traction in rain and snow and a smooth ride. Living in Wisconsin the weather changes daily.
Michelin Premier LTX. Built by Michelin specifically for Lexus RX.
Michelin XIce XI2, should you decide to invest into snow tires.
beansteve (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 06:36 AM
beansteve
Driver School Candidate

Thank You for the reply. I am going to go out and get the Michelin Premier LTX all the reviews look good too. Will give feedback when I get some mileage on the tires and get to drive them in snow and rain.
Old 11-25-17, 01:48 AM
HWU
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires for 2015 RX350

Hi, sort of a newby of these sites... Been spending more time on the Tundra site since I bought an old 2003 Tundra and I'm having a ball working on it. Anyways... We have a 2015 RX 350 and it's time for tires. It just turned 26,000 miles and the "Bridgestones" that came with it are really wearing fast. Tons of road noise from them. So.... Time to replace before winter really sets in. What are you guys running? I want quiet, smooth ride, sure good wet road and snow but.... In NW Ohio roads are cleared pretty fast so it's dry pavement most of the year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-17, 03:43 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Have a 2015 RX450h with 19 inch tires and bought these three months ago at Costco with a $70 rebate. Right now Costco has $.01 per tire installation that will save you an extra $60. Rated #1. What I have read on this forum most do like their original Bridgestone's. To early to tell about wear but they are quiet.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoModClar=FWD
Old 11-26-17, 02:43 PM
Tony29
10th Gear

Default Speed rating of winter tire

Hello,
I'm looking to changing the Bridgestone all seasons tire in my RX350 to Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 winter tires, presently there's a promo at our local COSTCO. The only issue is that the speed rating of the tires on offer is S, whereas my present tires have V. The Load Index is 107, similar to my present tires.
Is it safe to go with S rating winter tires? I usually do not exceed the 120 kmph speed limit (unofficial) in Ontario.
Thanks
Old 12-04-17, 05:23 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony29
Hello,
I'm looking to changing the Bridgestone all seasons tire in my RX350 to Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 winter tires, presently there's a promo at our local COSTCO. The only issue is that the speed rating of the tires on offer is S, whereas my present tires have V. The Load Index is 107, similar to my present tires.
Is it safe to go with S rating winter tires? I usually do not exceed the 120 kmph speed limit (unofficial) in Ontario.
Thanks
There will be zero issue that you'll notice. I also have DM-V2 Blizzaks and they're wonderful.
Tony29 (12-11-17)
Old 12-13-17, 03:31 PM
geoleo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Want a quiet tire for my 350RX 2010 235/55-19

" WHEELSThe all season Michelins are singing -very noisy- singing from front tires--------- tread wearing evenly at 24000miles lost of tread left at 5/32 --------------- I'm elderly in Florida and want soft riding low noise as possible---will never drive in snow! Almost traded car for a LS460 because of this tire noise!!!! Don't want any "ALL SEASONS" NONONONO what are quiet R235/55-19!! Help! ( PLUS DAMN THE 19 inch WHEELS....) Sure it handles well but I hate the noise and harsh riding!!! Help! Thanks.

Last edited by geoleo; 12-13-17 at 03:33 PM. Reason: info
Old 12-13-17, 03:55 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by geoleo
" WHEELSThe all season Michelins are singing -very noisy- singing from front tires--------- tread wearing evenly at 24000miles lost of tread left at 5/32 --------------- I'm elderly in Florida and want soft riding low noise as possible---will never drive in snow! Almost traded car for a LS460 because of this tire noise!!!! Don't want any "ALL SEASONS" NONONONO what are quiet R235/55-19!! Help! ( PLUS DAMN THE 19 inch WHEELS....) Sure it handles well but I hate the noise and harsh riding!!! Help! Thanks.
A tire with maximum wall height will give a smooth ride. Remember the old gangster cars back in the day had "gangster walls". Those tires were big balloons which flexed a great deal, therefore provided a smooth ride. So how do we tell the size of the sidewall?
Aspect Ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.
So there you have it...choosing a tire with the highest number after the slash should give you the smooth ride you are looking for.
As to low tire noise, I choose touring tires for this very reason. I'm a Michelin guy, so I choose Michelin touring tires. I've never been disappointed.
BTW, I've found that cheap tires tend to be noisy.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
PS BTW, if you have the original shocks on the rear, this may contribute to a rough ride. I put KYB shocks on the rear, and this improved the ride greatly. https://www.kyb.com

Last edited by raylor4; 12-13-17 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread