RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 04:22 PM
geoleo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default above post

Thanks Raynor---Well the tires speced for my 2010 RX 350 are R235/55-19-- Michelin RTX are made for the 18 inch wheels on this car but not for the 19 inch! Of the dozens of tires this size on Tire rack 99% say "ALL SEASON". and they all are for the speced size---- no other size> So in this case you pay lots more for the so -called upgraded trim of this car and get lots less! Less tire choice- far less better ride and noisy tires ------many say on these forums that Lexus never completed engineering the final chassis design of the car. Just rushed it out. PS I have changed out the shocks and struts to those you spoke of.
Old 12-14-17, 12:04 PM
monacoDK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can believe it, but I am close to needing new tires again on my wife's '13 RX350FWD (19" setup). The OEM tires (want to say they were BFG but could be misremembering) lasted 23 months (about 20k miles). I replaced those with Pirelli Scorpion Verde in November 2015, and today at the routine Discount Tire rotation, come to find out we are at 4/16ths after 25 months (roughly 30k miles). That is 50% better tread life than the OEM, but still seems awfully low. Aside from a few family vacations (+/- 500 mile trips), most of her driving is to/from school, soccer practice, etc. Are these vehicles just tire eaters, or am I buying the wrong brands?
Old 12-14-17, 01:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

monacoDK, the same thing happened with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes I put on my '10. I figured it was because they were relatively new back then. So I put on the Michelin Premiers. I have them on my current RXh too and about two years total driving time. They're softer than the Scorpion Verdes and come with a 60K warranty. But I do have to fill the tires more often. That's something I miss about the Pirellis. They rarely lost air.
Old 12-14-17, 01:33 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by geoleo
Thanks Raynor---Well the tires speced for my 2010 RX 350 are R235/55-19-- Michelin RTX are made for the 18 inch wheels on this car but not for the 19 inch! Of the dozens of tires this size on Tire rack 99% say "ALL SEASON". and they all are for the speced size---- no other size> So in this case you pay lots more for the so -called upgraded trim of this car and get lots less! Less tire choice- far less better ride and noisy tires ------many say on these forums that Lexus never completed engineering the final chassis design of the car. Just rushed it out. PS I have changed out the shocks and struts to those you spoke of.
I put Michelin Premier LTX on the 19" rims and couldn't be happier. Very quiet and well-handling tire. Michelin did design it specifically for the Lexus RX, so it certainly wasn't rushed in.
It is not true that the size of the rim changes the noise level - it is down to a specific tire model. I originally bought Goodyear TrippleTred in the same 19" size you have and they were so noisy, I had Sam's Club pull them off.
Completely different picture with Michelin Premier LTX that replaced them. I'm so happy there was a 30 day satisfaction guarantee from Sam's.

My Daily Drivers have always been running on low profile rubber, and again, it has little to do with noise levels. My Audi on stock 245-40R18 tires is as quiet as a vault. Both winter and summer!
Old 12-14-17, 05:10 PM
geoleo
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I put Michelin Premier LTX on the 19" rims and couldn't be happier. Very quiet and well-handling tire. Michelin did design it specifically for the Lexus RX, so it certainly wasn't rushed in.
It is not true that the size of the rim changes the noise level - it is down to a specific tire model. I originally bought Goodyear TrippleTred in the same 19" size you have and they were so noisy, I had Sam's Club pull them off.
Completely different picture with Michelin Premier LTX that replaced them. I'm so happy there was a 30 day satisfaction guarantee from Sam's.

My Daily Drivers have always been running on low profile rubber, and again, it has little to do with noise levels. My Audi on stock 245-40R18 tires is as quiet as a vault. Both winter and summer!
Its softness-not noise 19vs18 plus some tires models will fit the 18 and not the 19!!!
Old 12-15-17, 06:48 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geoleo
Its softness-not noise 19vs18 plus some tires models will fit the 18 and not the 19!!!
Fair enough.
Well, I just switched our RX from 19" all-seasons to the 18" soft compound winters. Although the change was noticeable, it was not dramatic.
You really don't need to have a large selection of tires to fit, just one good model will do. And you can always get a new set of 18" wheels and tires if you feel that will do the trick.
I wouldn't go as far as claiming that the chassis of the RX is half-baked. It is the best-selling Lexus model after all and lots of engineering resources went into it.
Just look under the rear, how the suspension is designed. It's not your run-of-the-mill strut stamped arms design. You've got shocks going diagonally (looks like inversed), springs strategically placed on the A-arms, thick steel, lots of bushings, etc.
Now, the front, riding on a McPherson setup, is a whole different story. That's where I will agree with you - Toyota did use a wrong platform for the RX - Camry. This results in huge cost savings and compromises.
And that's what makes crossovers the hottest automotive market presently. Most people simply do not care where the driving wheels are, how the weight is distributed, or if there's a sophisticated suspension upfront. It also allows RX to be FWD, another big market win.

If RX does not make you happy, by all means, trade it for something you like best, be it LS or something other. I'd recommend making sure the front is riding on a double-wishbone suspension and not a McPherson type.
In the Lexus world, that would be any RWD platform, starting with the IS and GX. GX is super soft and you may like it better than the RX if utility is your cup of tea.

Prior to getting my Audi S4, I had briefly owned a Subaru WRX STi. While my mind may not have outgrown the "racer boy hot hatch" (it's not a hatch), my body did.
No matter what I tried, I couldn't drive it for any period of time. So, it went to the chopping block and I got the S4 instead. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.
Old 12-15-17, 02:07 PM
slhw427
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 450h that I bought new, and today, I'm having to put my 4th set of tires on it. It has 89,000 miles. It seems like they last about 2 years and 25k miles. My mom had the same car until she upgraded a couple of years ago, and her car only had 60k miles and they'd only put one set on. What's the deal? Does this car just eat tires? The last 3 sets have been Michelin Latitudes, purchased at Lexus. I've done the mileage warranty on the last 2 sets.
Old 12-15-17, 06:03 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slhw427
I have a 2010 450h that I bought new, and today, I'm having to put my 4th set of tires on it. It has 89,000 miles. It seems like they last about 2 years and 25k miles. My mom had the same car until she upgraded a couple of years ago, and her car only had 60k miles and they'd only put one set on. What's the deal? Does this car just eat tires? The last 3 sets have been Michelin Latitudes, purchased at Lexus. I've done the mileage warranty on the last 2 sets.
Have you checked UTQG ratings of the tires you're buying?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...171216020212:s
Tire wear is not only dependent on the driver, vehicle, environment, but also on the build compound and structure.
Old 12-16-17, 07:19 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by slhw427
My 400h also ate tires. I also tried several different brands and never made it anywhere near the warranty either. Each time I went in, I focused one of my buying decisions on the warranty length vs. price. Each new set was partially warranty because I never made it. Most of my tires were around 30k - 32k, I believe. I found that Bridgestone and Michelin were the tires that consistently got the most mileage.

Coincidentally, I just put a new set on our 450h. I am expecting the same type of performance. Tire guy said that's just the way it goes. Some cars just eat tires more than others.
Old 01-28-18, 06:24 AM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys not sure if I'm posting this up in the correct place but I'm looking at buying a new set of tires and rims for the '13 RX Fsport. They are Vossen CV4 in 20x9 +32 and with Michelin Premier LTX tires in 255/45R20 size.

Any opinions on this combo I'm looking at getting?
Thank you!
Old 01-29-18, 04:15 AM
geoleo
Rookie

Default I Confess and eat crow!

I finally discovered that the noise from the front was a RF wheel bearing and not tire noise from the Michelin Premier LTX tires !!!! Had the bearing replaced and no "tire noise" Now I'm happy tires show little wear after 25000 miles and handle well. I did add spray sound[roofing to the wheel wells and that Russian made stick on to the whole aft under areas too so the 2010 350 RX is getting close to wifes 2003 GS300 in quiet rideness. Gotta love these lexus 's !!!

Last edited by geoleo; 01-29-18 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 05:50 AM
shaven3345
Driver School Candidate

Default rx350 tires for Florida driving ?

Don't know what replacement tire is best for Florida?
Old 02-05-18, 06:36 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Look in the tire sticky thread at the top. Any major brand will be fine. Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Hankook, etc Go to www.tirerack.com and look at the comments & reviews. I think a good rain tire may be recommended for that climate.

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-05-18 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 07:21 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree--stick to a major brand--you won't regret it. You sure don't need a M/S rated tire, but the suggestion of a rain tire may be worth considering.
Old 02-12-18, 10:55 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire selection largely depends on what your priorities are. Do you want economy, cost and mileage? Do you want quiet ride, or smooth ride, or excellent handling? Or do you want safey, traction etc.? I went with the Michelin Premier LTX because of its high ratings on wet roads for this car. Here in Florida that's what's important to me. If you live up north, you may want something with better snow traction. I spent a lot of time poring over articles and reviews on Tire Rack, and other resources. I would recommend everyone do the same before making their selection, since you're looking at around a $1,000 investment, not to mention the safety of your family.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread