RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 06:14 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I jumped on this vanwagon! I just bought Michelin Premier LTX tires coming from Pirelli Scorpion Verde.
Old 02-26-18, 10:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

GilIS250, I think you'll enjoy the ride a bit better than the Pirellis. Good luck with them.
Old 03-06-18, 09:25 AM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GilIS250, how do you like the Premier LTX so far? I am in need of a new set of tires this spring. Not sure if I go with the stock Latitude Touring or switch to the Premier LTX?
Old 03-07-18, 12:56 AM
Thomo
Driver School Candidate

Smile Pirelli scorpion verde all seasons

Just a quick note on my experience. We’ve just had red weather warning and over a foot of snow where I stay in Scotland over the last week. I’ve been out every day and some of the hills the Rx has got up and depth of snow it’s gone through has been quite astonishing. Big queues of traffic on the main roads so would just cut through residential streets that no-one apart from a Landrover would dare to go.

I opted for the Pirellis as I needed 2 new ones and when I bought the car it had different makes front and back. It was an opportunity to get same make all round and pirelli all seasons got decent reviews. I ended up getting 4 new ones £530 at eurocarmaster and have kept 2 other pirellis with ~4mm tread left just in case of any unexpected damage.

more than happy with purchase and RX performance in the snow
Old 04-03-18, 04:44 AM
twrenn77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Terrains

Anyone running all terrain tires on their RX? I was hoping to get an idea of what that would look like. Thanks!
Old 04-23-18, 08:02 PM
sailakfan
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, today I was Costco looking for tires for my wife's 2012. The only model they had in stock was the Premier LTX and looked up reviews on Tirerack then decided on it. But the salesperson advised not to get these, as they do not last for more that 15-20k in the Texas weather. He was little forceful, so I said that is fine I would like to try it out this time. By then the supervisor heard our conversation and came over, once he found out I am interested in the Premier LTX, he too advised it is the worst tire they carry. I asked him then why do you even carry it, and he said go ask Michelin. I said that was not the point, if the tire is so bad, why is Costco even carrying it. After a while, tried another salesperson and the same story, so we ended up not getting the tire. Now we are so confused and skeptical about getting the Premier LTX.

Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-18, 03:41 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sailakfan
Hello all, today I was Costco looking for tires for my wife's 2012. The only model they had in stock was the Premier LTX and looked up reviews on Tirerack then decided on it. But the salesperson advised not to get these, as they do not last for more that 15-20k in the Texas weather. He was little forceful, so I said that is fine I would like to try it out this time. By then the supervisor heard our conversation and came over, once he found out I am interested in the Premier LTX, he too advised it is the worst tire they carry. I asked him then why do you even carry it, and he said go ask Michelin. I said that was not the point, if the tire is so bad, why is Costco even carrying it. After a while, tried another salesperson and the same story, so we ended up not getting the tire. Now we are so confused and skeptical about getting the Premier LTX.

Thanks in advance.
Interesting that the Costco folks would tell you that. I've been starting to look for tires and I normally go thru Costco. I've made notes on the Premier LTX's as they seem to have gotten good reviews and Costco is running their sale this month on Michelins. Reading back on the tire posts I see a lot of positives. Anyone have any negative experience with these tires? They seem as if they would be a good choice for Florida weather- heat & rain. My OEM tires are probably good for another 5 thousand, but wanted to change prior to our rainy season.
Old 04-30-18, 08:48 AM
kezgao
Rookie

Thanks in advance.
I talked to the local Lexus dealer, the mentioned they had to do some warrant adjustments for the Premier LTX due to early treadware. Overall they still recommend the Latitude Touring. I think personally I'll be sticking to the Latitude Touring for my upcoming replacement this spring. They do price match Costco here while providing a free loaner vehicle and free hand wash, so why not.
The following users liked this post:
LexigirlVa (08-01-18)
Old 04-30-18, 11:28 AM
erom43
Rookie

Default They may be right, however....

Thanks in advance.
I have had Premier LTX's on my 2013 RX350 for two years and about 25,000 miles. OEM's lasted 47K. My best guess for my current tread depth is about 5/32", maybe 6/32". Still not down to the tread wear indicators. I have been happy with my tires and have had no puctures in two years, which is unusual for me. I have read numerous reviews about the tread life not lasting more than 25K. Not sure if I will get 40K out of mine, but I've been happy none the less, as safety has been my prime concern. Chose these tires because I live in Florida, with a lot of wet road driving, do a lot of high speed interstate driving, and this tire was rated best for those conditions. I am guessing the Costco people are looking at 30K-40K miles max for these 60K tires, which may be why they are shying away from them. You will have to set your own priorities, and choose accordingly. I would suggest more research.
Old 05-23-18, 11:58 AM
RxDuderino
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just ordered the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus tires. Getting them installed tomorrow. Ii just couldn't justify the extra $100 per tire for the Michelin. Got the Pirellis for $117 shipped plus a $70 rebate. I hope they serve me well.
The following users liked this post:
Tracman (07-25-18)
Old 05-23-18, 04:44 PM
NamesEd
Driver School Candidate

Default All-season vs (what?). And, not happy with Blizzaks

COMMENT RE BLIZZAKS: I bought 2011 RX450h AWD used (w/ just 19,000 mi!). The back tires had been run with way too little air, from the looks of them (many small checks in the sidewall). When one self-destructed, late last fall, I bought Bridgestone Blizzaks P235/55R19 as snow tires. On snow, they're -fabulous-! I ski often, so they're sweet for snowy days.

On pavement, not so much. The car feels mushy, particularly accelerating out of a curve, noticeable on the looping I-70 onramp near my house. It's not terrible, but something to consider. I'm going to keep them, honestly because it never occurred to me that I could turn them in. Next time, back to Michelin X-Ice, which seemed almost as good on snow, _much_ better on dry (on a Subaru turbo Outback AWD).

QUESTION RE NEW NON-WINTER TIRES: I live in Denver, and will continue to change tires spring and fall. Should I buy all-season tires, or what? What category are NON-all-season tires, since most of the tires I see around here are either all-season or snow)

1) I want decent handling and 2) a quiet ride. Occasionally, I will be on the muddy dirt road around our cabins in northern New Mexico, so 3) I don't want to get stuck. THOUGHTS?
Old 05-25-18, 09:19 AM
kjay83
Driver School Candidate

I found this chart from TireRack very helpful in deciding what I will purchase.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...utoModClar=AWD
Old 06-16-18, 03:25 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Already at 4/32 tread depth remaining after only 20k miles from the Michelin LTX here in TX. Very disappointed. Ended up replacing under warranty and switched to Yokohama YK740. Hoping for longer wear.
Old 06-18-18, 06:24 AM
tkill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txcoupe
switched to Yokohama YK740. Hoping for longer wear.
I have 25k on my Yokohama YK740's. I am still very pleased with them (day to day driving in town with regular longer highway trips on weekends). Handled good in the snow last winter, good wet traction, still a quiet comfortable ride. I will report my treadwear next time I rotate them.
Old 06-18-18, 02:17 PM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just added a new set of Michelin LTX today at 80,000 miles on my 2010.
Got 35,000 mi on my previous Michelin Lattitude which I guess is normal for this tire,.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread