RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 02:18 PM
hghudso
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 4wd Tahoe. Great tires. Under icy conditions I could move when others could not. I have also used Michelin X-Ice winter tires on my RWD Miata and there were times when I could move and others were struggling to get traction. You cannot beat a good winter tire. If they save you once from an accident they are worth it. I had purchased the winter tires and put them on some inexpensive rims then I swapped them on and off seasonally. Once my existing tires on my 2013 450H are worn out I will replace with the Michelin Defenders

Last edited by hghudso; 04-15-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 06:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Michelin Premier LTX. Survived through an ice storm on these when we were caught by surprise on our way South a few years ago. Otherwise, I would have had Michelin XIce Xi2 winter tires on.
Premier LTX was tailored specifically for Gen4 RX.
Old 05-23-19, 03:36 PM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested in this topic also, for our 2013. Michelins now, but I want the QUIETEST tire I can find, sized in as tall a sidewall as possible without scraping [19"s]. More rubber, quiet rubber. I don't care about longevity, how they look, what they cost, etc. Just cut the road noise.

Interesting remark about the Duelers. On our 2007 4Runner the duelers are pretty quiet. And, because the 4runner has "wandering" steering issues [they all do, not just mine], the Duelers have been good in that regard, way better than the Michelins or awful Nitto knobbies that I originally inherited. Maybe not THE quietest, but in the hunt.
I have another post to make on the Quiet topic

Originally Posted by rfmax
Just bought a 2015 RX base, certified with 29,000 miles. The car is equipped with Bridgestone Dueler tires and the ride is dreadfully harsh. Given that these tires are so hard they literally shake the car as it hits
every bump, it's hard to believe that Duelers are indeed one of the tires Lexus specified as "original equipment" tires (!!). After test-driving the car herself, and agreeing about the harshness, the sales manager gave me $1,000 toward a new set of tires as part of the deal. I'm new to Lexus ownership, and I don't want to make a $1,000 mistake. I need suggestions on replacements. My priorities are a smooth ride, minimum noise and at least moderately decent handling. In my research, all of the tires Lexus recommended have terrible reviews. Alternate candidates are the Continental Truecontact Tour, the Continental Crosscontact LX20, the Michelin Defender T+H or the Michelin Premiere LTX (lowest rated of the four I mention here). If anyone has any experience with these tires on a 3rd Gen RX, I'd be much obliged if you'd share your experience. And I'd be much appreciative of other suggestions, too. Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.
Old 05-28-19, 01:25 PM
cwatx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusRodeo
Need new tires for my 2012 RX350. I currently have Michelin Latitude Touring which was replaed at 37K mileage.

Looking for suggestion -
Michelin Primacy MXM4 P235/60R18 vs Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring?
Things which I found out and am considering:
- Goodyear (180$) is cheaper than Michelin ($220) by $160 for all 4 tires (from Sears)
- Goodyear seems to be having longer threadlife - 70K miles (Michelin gave me 37K miles both times)
- Need smooth ride - I know Michelin does offer that but not sure about Goodyear
I'm sure you've already purchased new tires at this point, but my 2015 RX350 CPO came with Goodyear Assurance tires. I wasn't very happy about that, as I've always had Michelins on my cars for the smooth, quiet ride.

Surprisingly (to me anyway), the Assurance tires have been very good so far. Smooth and quiet, with good tracking in wet weather.
Old 05-28-19, 02:10 PM
lexicam739
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did replace with Goodyear WeatherReady. Have about 7000 miles on them with one rotation at 6000 miles. I have noticed they are louder then when I first had them installed. Well, it’s too late to return them. Lesson learned. When these need to be replaced I will go back to Michelin. Never had them in snow, but ok in the rain.
Old 05-28-19, 04:06 PM
EasyAs123
10th Gear

Just a followup - I put a set of Pirelle Scorpion Verde all season on my 2013 RX350 on August 1, 2016. I have a little over 51k miles on them. Other than them being a bit noisy, I don't have any complaints. I will probably be changing them out this fall. Any suggestions on a tire to replace them?
Old 05-29-19, 07:54 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not normal for the Duelers

Just bought a 2015 RX base, certified with 29,000 miles. The car is equipped with Bridgestone Dueler tires and the ride is dreadfully harsh. Given that these tires are so hard they literally shake the car as it hits
every bump, it's hard to believe that Duelers are indeed one of the tires Lexus specified as "original equipment" tires (!!). After test-driving the car herself, and agreeing about the harshness, the sales manager gave me $1,000 toward a new set of tires as part of the deal. I'm new to Lexus ownership, and I don't want to make a $1,000 mistake. I need suggestions on replacements. My priorities are a smooth ride, minimum noise and at least moderately decent handling. In my research, all of the tires Lexus recommended have terrible reviews. Alternate candidates are the Continental Truecontact Tour, the Continental Crosscontact LX20, the Michelin Defender T+H or the Michelin Premiere LTX (lowest rated of the four I mention here). If anyone has any experience with these tires on a 3rd Gen RX, I'd be much obliged if you'd share your experience. And I'd be much appreciative of other suggestions, too. Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.
I had two sets of these for about 100,000 miles and did not find them harsh at all. I'm now on MIchelins and don't find the ride any different than the Duelers. It might be something else.
Old 05-29-19, 09:08 AM
rfmax
Driver School Candidate

Are your Goodyear tires V rated, or H? I'm finding the V-rated Latitudes to be quite harsh on the '15 RX, and am seeking a softer tire, for a less-harsh ride.
Old 05-30-19, 08:41 AM
jby25
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have any experience with Sumimoto 235/55/19?
Old 05-30-19, 11:36 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

I am assuming you mean Sumitomo tires. As a brand, they tend to wear out rather quickly (at least that was the case five to ten years ago). Perhaps some of their newer tire models are now capable of lasting longer.
Old 05-30-19, 02:47 PM
cwatx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your Goodyear tires V rated, or H? I'm finding the V-rated Latitudes to be quite harsh on the '15 RX, and am seeking a softer tire, for a less-harsh ride.
My Goodyear Assurance MaxLife are V rated
Old 05-30-19, 03:47 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

The Just bought this RX and it has Yokohama on it , it’s really smooth, quiet and compliant...I hope they last well...They seem to be rated pretty well.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 05-30-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 01:15 PM
itsmwah
Driver School Candidate

Just purchased the Michelin Premier LTX All Season Luxury SUV 235/55R19 with a 60k warranty from Costco yesterday. The difference it makes in the ride is amazing. Was a total of $943.38 and worth it.
Old 06-16-19, 03:44 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Hard to beat a Michelin.
Old 06-17-19, 08:41 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have Michelin Premier LTX All Season tires on our 2015 Lexus RX450h also from Costco. If you take them back to Costco every 7000 miles and when you get a low tire pressure warning you should get 60,000+ miles on the tires. They have been great snow tires as well as dry/wet tires. The use of nitrogen by Costco stabilizes the pressure between summer/winter. The only time we had a low pressure alarm was when we had a nail and a bolt puncture. Costco fixed the punctures and they ride as good as new.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread