RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-19, 09:04 PM
LuckyPants
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the General Altimax RT43's. Have had them on multiple vehicles including my last RX, very good all-around tire for a decent price. I'm planning on getting a set of them when my Sumitomos are done.
Old 08-05-19, 10:06 AM
wahaus
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rfmax, same here. We just bought a 2012 RX450h and am very disappointed in the ride. It's seems very harsh, and unsettled — what I would call 'nervous'. Was totally blind-sided as I've had 5 different Lexus over the years and didn't expect this. Years ago, my wife rode in an older RX that belonged to a co-worker and thought it was fine. I guess the 3rd gen has a completely different rear suspension. Not sure if we'll keep it or not. Trouble is, not sure what I'd replace it with.
Old 08-05-19, 03:24 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wahaus
rfmax, same here. We just bought a 2012 RX450h and am very disappointed in the ride. It's seems very harsh, and unsettled — what I would call 'nervous'. Was totally blind-sided as I've had 5 different Lexus over the years and didn't expect this. Years ago, my wife rode in an older RX that belonged to a co-worker and thought it was fine. I guess the 3rd gen has a completely different rear suspension. Not sure if we'll keep it or not. Trouble is, not sure what I'd replace it with.
For our 10 rx350 awd, the nervous unsettled ride was from combo of tires and rear shocks. Pirelli scorpions and new rear kyb gas shocks fixed that. Just what worked for us. If you're on your original rear shocks, or even replaced with oem tokicos over 50k miles, probably time for new shocks.
Old 08-11-19, 10:07 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
H or V isn't "made for" Audi or Porsche. They're just saying that exact tire is the OEM installed on a particular Audi or Porsche.
Look up what your OEM tire was (inside door post) and match or exceed that speed rating. If yours came with an H, buy an H or higher. Also meet our exceed your load rating index.
Read up on these:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec....jsp?techid=35
This is only kind of correct. While the H and V designation do not mean it's made for Audi or Porsche, the A0 and N0 mean that the particular compound on that tire is customized for that manufacturer. That doesn't mean it won't work on the RX, in fact Ford is using a Mercedes-specific tire on the 2020 Explorer. But it does mean that the "same" tire with or without the A0 (or whatever) designation may have slightly different characteristics
Old 08-12-19, 04:43 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

I have never had an issue installing a set of new H-rated tires to replace a set of worn-out V-rated tires on any of our SUVs. The vast majority of SUVs are not performance vehicles and will handle just fine on a good set of H-rated tires. The primary benefit is that H-rated tires generally deliver a longer treadlife than V-rated tires do. Just do the necessary research and go with a proven, well-respected set of tires. Do not buy a bargain brand.
Old 08-18-19, 03:13 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Installed my General Altimax RT43's in July. So far I really like them. I think they are slightly noisier than the original continentals that came on the car but the sidewalls feel stiffer which makes my steering feel tighter. Looking forward to see how they handle wet and snow weather.
Old 08-26-19, 02:05 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Installed my General Altimax RT43's in July. So far I really like them. I think they are slightly noisier than the original continentals that came on the car but the sidewalls feel stiffer which makes my steering feel tighter. Looking forward to see how they handle wet and snow weather.
I bought a set for my wife's 2015 with 19's and as i had read a lot about them(reviews), they still surprised me with handling and road noise..she had the michellin's from factory and we got almost 60k out of them, but i kept reading about the general's, price point and reviews etc...so went ahead with them and not disappointed, at least for the driving we do, which is just hwy and around town type driving, but in the rains here in FL, they are very dependable and handle the downpours quite well...overall , great tires
The following users liked this post:
fastnoypi (09-02-19)
Old 08-26-19, 02:35 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody use Continentals Crosscontact LX20 ? I can get a set of 4 with almost all the thread off of a wreck for $200.00. I usually don't buy used tires but this is at my local tire guy that I have dealt with for 30 years... That is an installed price.
Old 08-26-19, 05:37 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

They have good reviews from the Tire Rack tests and good ratings from buyers https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...lus+Technology

And here

.https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...-lx-20/p/26327

For $200 I would get them.

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-26-19 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 07:38 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

If you indeed trust your tire guy, they are probably worth the risk. Just be sure he thoroughly inspects them inside and outside before you make a final commitment.
Old 08-27-19, 12:01 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I just looked at the outside... I will go back to see what the date code is and thoroughly inspect them in the sunlight and measure the depth with my gauge. They looked almost new at first glance...
Old 09-01-19, 06:33 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Discount tire is having a sale this weekend. I get 15% back in rebates on a set of Michelin defender LTX that I ordered.

I have purchased from discount tire many times in the past when they have their rebates and I have never had an issue getting the rebates.
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (09-03-19)
Old 09-12-19, 05:48 AM
hovbuild
Driver

I paid 790 installed with a 100 dollar rebate( maybe) .... Friend owns a shop and got them for his cost.
Old 09-17-19, 09:56 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently replaced 255/50 R19 Atturo AZ800 tires with stock size 235/55 R19 Michelin Premier LTX. The 255/55 R19 Atturo tires, which were on the vehicle when I bought it a couple of years ago, gave the vehicle a nicer stance. Pretty decent tire in terms of performance including excellent traction in wet conditions. However, the Michelins definitely provide a much more comfortable, smooth and quiet ride. Probably the most comfortable tire I've had on any vehicle and still handles great. Not sure that the pictures do a good job of showing the difference in the tire sizes but here they are anyway, first one is with the Atturo tires, second with the Michelins.

Old 09-22-19, 04:06 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC
I recently replaced 255/50 R19 Atturo AZ800 tires with stock size 235/55 R19 Michelin Premier LTX. The 255/55 R19 Atturo tires, which were on the vehicle when I bought it a couple of years ago, gave the vehicle a nicer stance. Pretty decent tire in terms of performance including excellent traction in wet conditions. However, the Michelins definitely provide a much more comfortable, smooth and quiet ride. Probably the most comfortable tire I've had on any vehicle and still handles great. Not sure that the pictures do a good job of showing the difference in the tire sizes but here they are anyway, first one is with the Atturo tires, second with the Michelins.

I did the same on the rx. These tires have a lousy wear rating but the ride and handling is outstanding! They replaced the latitude tours.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread