RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 09:54 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I just completed a tire rotation on my 2015 RX350. The factory Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 tires still have 5mm of thread left, so I think I’m good until next winter.

The tires were noticeably feathering when I first got the car, so I planned to do an alignment soon after purchase. But first, I checked the tire pressure and every wheel was off by a lot. I also re-torqued all lug nuts, and found one wheel so tight I had trouble loosening the nuts.

Then I took it to my local Toyota dealer, they checked the alignment and they said it is good; no adjustment needed. Since then I drove over 5000 miles, and the tires are wearing evenly now, they even seem quieter than before.

It surprised me that the wrong tire pressure and unevenly torqued lug nuts can affect the tire wear so much!
Old 11-06-19, 12:01 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Proper tire pressures are so crucial to tread life. Some folks never check them. Some folks check them once a year. Some folks check them once a month. For more than 40 years now, I have been checking them weekly. If there are issues, I want to catch them and resolve them as quickly as possible. Tires are far too expensive these days to waste by not checking them often enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX in NC:
Chasboy (11-06-19), iftekhar25 (11-10-19)
Old 11-07-19, 08:17 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Just came from Costco in Roseville, CA. They said Michelin 235/60R18 Premier LTX comes with a new DT designation meaning Deep Thread for longer tire wear and better traction on a wet road. Makes sense to me. $1,030 OTD.
Old 11-09-19, 11:46 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the tires on my 2013 RX350 changed out in late October. Had the old winter set recycled last spring, held off on buying the new set until the beginning of the following winter (i.e., now).

What tire brand/model did you get?
Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2
Tire size?
19", 235/55R19 MI
Price paid and place of purchase?
$862.52 list price, $100 off from the dealership, so $762.52, and $100 mail-in rebate, filed the paperwork, haven't received it yet, so $662.52 in the end, I hope! Lexus of Bellevue in Bellevue, WA.
What tire did they replace and mileage?
OEM Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 was replace, they came with the car in Alberta, Canada. Tough to say the mileage on it, they got swapped out every year, and we haven't kept track.
Other tires considered (if applicable)?
Dealership recommended Bridgestone as their standard-issue. We're a little bit loyal to the Michelin marque, it's just been with us the entire time, and we feel happy about it.
What do you like most/least about your new tires?
We're very happy with Michelin, our dealership in Bellevue, WA keeps Bridgestone as default, but we asked them to bring in a set of Michelin for us. They were happy to do so, those guys are pretty great.
Updates?
One set lasted us a good 6 years, several of those in very hostile driving conditions in Alberta. This set is being used in the far more temperate Pacific Northwest in WA and BC. We remain conscientious about winter tires, temperatures do drop below 7C here in winter regularly which is the "glass point" for some all-season tires where rubber turns from rubbery to basically a solid, and those few days it snows really badly, the old pair of winter tires were life-savers. Last winter, it snowed real bad here, and another car without winter tires lost control and hit us, while we had winter tires and turned on "ECT Snow" and the vehicle handled the conditions like a champ. Why have an AWD SUV if you can't use it in hostile conditions?
Old 11-10-19, 08:03 AM
iftekhar25
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Proper tire pressures are so crucial to tread life. Some folks never check them. Some folks check them once a year. Some folks check them once a month. For more than 40 years now, I have been checking them weekly. If there are issues, I want to catch them and resolve them as quickly as possible. Tires are far too expensive these days to waste by not checking them often enough.
I just purchased a calibrated tire pressure gauge and a pump so I can monitor this. You’re right, for comfort, longevity, and safety it’s important to stay on top of this.

I’ve been doing some research on ideal tire pressure for my 2013 RX350. From what I’ve read, manufacturer recommendation is 32 PSI but most folks seem happy at 35 PSI. Folks at Lexus of Bellevue set me up with 36 PSI I discovered.

I’m maintaining 35 PSI in my winter set right now. They look a little flat even at this elevated pressure, but the TPMS is happy and my tire pressure gauge tells me they’re all within 0.2 PSI of 35 PSI, so I figure I’m fine.
Old 11-10-19, 10:05 AM
RX in NC
Racer

You should indeed be fine. I run 33 to 34 psi in the 19-inch tires on my wife's 2015 RX350. She gets a reasonably comfortable ride and I get reasonably acceptable treadlife out of the tires.

I do not rely on the TPMS sensors in either of our vehicles that have them (the Lexus and the Subaru). They are rarely accurate enough. I perform weekly checks using my trusty digital tire gauge. As the weather turns colder it is especially important to perform frequent checks during the late autumn months in our neck of the woods.

Last edited by RX in NC; 11-10-19 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
iftekhar25 (11-10-19)
Old 11-10-19, 04:28 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

I feel like the TPMS exists only to flag up really obvious, really bad tire pressure issues, not to be used as a proxy for actually managing and monitoring tire pressure to a high level of accuracy. Otherwise I feel like it would be spammy and people would start ignoring it (it seems this is already an issue). I've had some trouble with autumn/fall temperature drops and the tire pressure warning, and it seemed to flag up legitimate issues that Kal Tire fixed by over-inflating properly. The diurnal variation in temperature between night and day can sometimes wreak havoc on the pressure in the tires.

So yeah, if the regular checks are happening, one hopes the TPMS never has to kick in!
raylor4 (12-09-19)
Old 11-15-19, 08:55 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin tires to replace my OEM Mich Latitudes

My tires---OEM Michelin 235/60R18. Probably Latitudes. My car has only 42K on it, and looking forward, I don't foresee any changes in terms of light use/ local driving of the car. A Costco Auto Rep told me just now that Mich Latitudes are being phased out, and recommended the following, for anyone's comment, please:

Michelin Primacy MXM4 priced at $235, plus install, removal costs; and
Mich Premier LTX18, new extra tread, a different tread, priced at $217, plus plus.

Would anyone recommend anything about these tires. Again, I believe my OEM Mich are Latitudes. I look for Michelin sales at Costco.

Also, Costco offers a 30 day trial, and if tires are returned, Costco recycles them. At Town Fair Tire, they offer for sale those 30 day trial tires that are returned, sometimes at significant discounts.
Old 11-18-19, 01:25 AM
iftekhar25
Rookie

I don’t see how the tires being phased out by Michelin particularly impacts your purchase, so I’m not sure what the sales rep means by that. So long as they’re not old, as in manufactured many years before your purchase, you should be fine. I suppose grabbing the tail end of a manufacture run, you miss out on the latest and greatest. But if you need tires, you need tires!

As for the Michelin Latitudes, I’ve got a set. I swap them out for winter tires every year in the fall, but drive them through summer. Next spring will be my 8th season on this set. Michelin recommends visual inspection for visible wear and cracks after 5 years, and if they’re good, you can safely drive them for up to 10 years, provided you’ve got tread. That’s manufacturer recommendation. I’ve still got some tread left, and the Lexus dealership told me the tires look fine, so they’re in storage for the winter. I can vouch that for me, they lasted a while. Granted, most of those 8 seasons were light on my summer tires, not a lot of mileage in our Alberta years, and very short summers up there. Just a personal experience and perspective you may find useful. Michelin is great, would buy again!
Old 11-18-19, 06:07 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Costco is having a $150 off sale on Michelin XLT which I've never heard of before. Costco agent said it's branded exclusively for them. Reading from Google gives it a more "truck like" tire. Anyone with experience with this tire?
Did you end up buying the LTX 18s at Costco? The Costco here in CT quoted me 217 per tire, didn't mention any Costco exclusive, but did say the Latitude--which is OEM on my 2012---is being "phased out." Not sure what that means, I'm just looking for lowest Mich prices at this point, and no big rush. If u ended up buying, is LTX 18 "truck like" or does it ride like the Latitudes?
Old 11-27-19, 12:34 PM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 has 148,500 on them and I've gotten about 50k on each set of tires, Michelin Latitude Tour HP (235/60/18). I want to get them again at Costco during their sale that runs through Sunday but I've tried dozens of times to order them online only for them to show as Temporarily Out of Stock. I called the Costco 90 minutes from me (closest one) and they said they can't take a phone order so I need to come into the store which I don't want to do. BUT, they have them in P235/55R19. Will these work?

Here is the search, if anyone clicks on it and it shows availability please let me know by PM.
https://tires.costco.com/SearchResul...7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

Thanks,
Bob in New Hampshire

Old 11-28-19, 11:27 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Bought Michelin Premier LTX DT (deep tread) 235/60R18 from America's tire for $1,025 -$102 rebate = $922 OTD Black Friday Sale. So far, I like 'em.
Ray A.
Old 11-28-19, 11:38 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by RVH
My 2010 has 148,500 on them and I've gotten about 50k on each set of tires, Michelin Latitude Tour HP (235/60/18). I want to get them again at Costco during their sale that runs through Sunday but I've tried dozens of times to order them online only for them to show as Temporarily Out of Stock. I called the Costco 90 minutes from me (closest one) and they said they can't take a phone order so I need to come into the store which I don't want to do. BUT, they have them in P235/55R19. Will these work?

Here is the search, if anyone clicks on it and it shows availability please let me know by PM.
https://tires.costco.com/SearchResul...7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

Thanks,
Bob in New Hampshire
RVH - You ask "Will these work?" A 19-inch tire won't work on an 18-inch rim. The last number of tire size is the rim diameter. Ray A.
Old 12-09-19, 10:04 AM
joellevo
Driver School Candidate

Default Best tires for 2015 RX 450H?

Please let me know what tires are best replacement tires for the 2015 RX 450H. I want great tires. I got a nail in the originals and a slow leak, no blowout. So would like tires that are strong and resilient!
Old 12-09-19, 11:13 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Depends entirely upon what you are looking for (such as quiet ride, great wet weather traction, great snow traction, long treadlife warranty, etc.).

I think the best bang-for-the-buck all-season tire for these crossover SUVs remains the General Altimax RT43. I have had a set on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R for three years now and I can assure you they are indeed great tires. When the mediocre Kumho Solus KL21 tires that came on my wife's 2015 RX350 when we purchased it in late October 2018 wear out, I will replace them with a set of these Generals.
fastnoypi (01-18-20)

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread