RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 01:39 PM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
So is there a general consensus for the "best" tires to get?

I drive a 2014 Lexus Rx350 with 19inch wheels. I am looking to purchase new tires that maximize comfort, can grip well in the rain, and doesn't produce excess road noise as I daily drive my vehicle!
Alphapidge,

Tires are a product of compromise, In other words, no tire will score a 5 out of 5 in all categories. However, as RX in NC brought up, the General Altimax RT43 is a great option for an All season tire that would deliver the wet traction and low roadnoise, along with being a relatively quiet tire you're searching for, certainly something to consider. PM coming your way.
Old 01-30-20, 08:01 AM
thequickad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory tire from dealer was Scorpion Verde all seasons and these would skid even in the parking lot when you turn. I put Michellin Latitude Sport Summer tires on my 2013 RX450h and I absolutely love them. These summer tires have traction rated AA (not A) and can accelerate awesome and stop on a dime. So what if the tread wear is only 20000 miles. The summer tires are so awesome that when you bank on the freeway on-ramp, you feel totally confident because of the improved grips. I live in Southern California so no need for snow. Summer tires are awesome in the rain too.
Old 02-04-20, 07:54 PM
RxDuderino
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Falkens are holding up really well. Pleased with the performance. Not crazy about the looks though. They have one side with raised black letters and one side with flat serrated letters. I had the raised mounted outside. Looks a bit chunky. Thinking of having them flipped. Looks aside, great performing tire in dry, rain, mud, and about 8" of snow.
Old 05-18-20, 07:31 PM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tires are good

I replaced the Michelin Latitudes that came on the car at almost 42,000. The new LTX premiers were on sale at Costco. I have 72,000 on the car now and although the tires won/t last the 60,000 miles advertised, I find them to perform very well. We had a sudden snow storm here in North GA that caught me by surprise. It took me over to hours to make the 26 mile drive home. The tires did very well. I get around 24-25 mpg driving 70-75 on interstates. Not bad for the 2014 Rx 350. I might consider Coopers for the next set, but research has to be done. I warn everyone to rotate these tires front to back, not cross rotate like some of the service centers like to do. My wife has a 2013 RX 450H with the same tires and one blew out shortly after rotation the wss done in the cross manner. I believe that changing the stress angles of the fiber in the side walls ma have caused the failure. The Michelin Premiers seem ride and handle well on these cars.
Old 05-19-20, 10:24 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyside
I replaced the Michelin Latitudes that came on the car at almost 42,000. The new LTX premiers were on sale at Costco. I have 72,000 on the car now and although the tires won/t last the 60,000 miles advertised, I find them to perform very well. We had a sudden snow storm here in North GA that caught me by surprise. It took me over to hours to make the 26 mile drive home. The tires did very well. I get around 24-25 mpg driving 70-75 on interstates. Not bad for the 2014 Rx 350. I might consider Coopers for the next set, but research has to be done. I warn everyone to rotate these tires front to back, not cross rotate like some of the service centers like to do. My wife has a 2013 RX 450H with the same tires and one blew out shortly after rotation the wss done in the cross manner. I believe that changing the stress angles of the fiber in the side walls ma have caused the failure. The Michelin Premiers seem ride and handle well on these cars.
I noticed a drop in my MPG ~2 mpg (averaged out). Like the tires, but just sharing if mpg is paramount for other members.

Salim
Old 05-19-20, 10:34 AM
desmo907
Driver

I had (replacement for originals) the Premiere but they only lasted ~42k. Tire guy said others had same issue (supposed to last 60k) and he recommended the Defenders. I like them but still see how long they last (think he said 60k also).
2013 RX 450h
Old 05-19-20, 03:23 PM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up biggest quietest

pls help my ignorance here. need tires for wife's 2013 rx that has 19" factory rims. What is the "most rubber" I can put on there: 60? I'm referring to sidewall heighth, because I want to attempt to tone down the road noise. I recently took a small chance on my 4runner [2007[ with same goal in mind and really lucked up with Kumho Crugen touring tires. Really quiet at least at the moment, with maybe 10k on them. Pretty good in rain, and i wouldn't know about snow/ice. So I'm thinking that way, but if you have something that really shocked you as Quiet, lemme know. I keep thinking that somewhat narrow profile is working against me, noise-wise
Old 05-19-20, 10:33 PM
RickRX350
8th Gear

Just replaced my Scorpion Verde, as one reviewer mentioned that stupid tire skids like crazy, I skid every time I take off from a full stop on a mildly wet road, I just replaced it with Goodyear Assurance Maxlife (85000 thread life if you believe it), read reviews on different sites and they all have good things to say, specially regarding quietness which I'm also very particular, and it is quiet drive for me here in dry California, immediately felt the difference in handling compared to Scorpion Verde, this is way better I'm more of an aggressive driver, I feel the grip on the road, paid $843 online includes installation and all through Goodyear and installed at Just tires, I'd say I recommend it
Old 05-20-20, 06:50 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Good to hear you are having success with Goodyear tires. Nice to know Michelin is not the only good alternative.
Old 05-24-20, 08:44 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cognus
pls help my ignorance here. need tires for wife's 2013 rx that has 19" factory rims. What is the "most rubber" I can put on there: 60? I'm referring to sidewall heighth, because I want to attempt to tone down the road noise. I recently took a small chance on my 4runner [2007[ with same goal in mind and really lucked up with Kumho Crugen touring tires. Really quiet at least at the moment, with maybe 10k on them. Pretty good in rain, and i wouldn't know about snow/ice. So I'm thinking that way, but if you have something that really shocked you as Quiet, lemme know. I keep thinking that somewhat narrow profile is working against me, noise-wise
Best bet would be to get some 18" wheels and that will give you more profile without butchering your speedometer accuracy.
Old 05-24-20, 09:24 AM
lexicam739
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Alphapidge,

Tires are a product of compromise, In other words, no tire will score a 5 out of 5 in all categories. However, as RX in NC brought up, the General Altimax RT43 is a great option for an All season tire that would deliver the wet traction and low roadnoise, along with being a relatively quiet tire you're searching for, certainly something to consider. PM coming your way.
Just an update from original post. Well these Goodyear Road Ready tires. Have another 15k on them. They are wearing like Iron and they ride they were made from Iron. It’s going to be a Long Ride with them. I should have known better. Next time more research.
The following users liked this post:
Tony29 (08-11-20)
Old 05-25-20, 04:05 AM
Phillib4
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

2015 RX350 . Went with the Michelin Defender Ltx after much due diligence. I am very, very pleased with the difference from the Oem Dunlops. Dunlops had massive amount of road noise, but after 40k maybe expected. Bought veh used with 20k and was never happy with the oem tires. Rides like a Lexus.
Old 06-01-20, 11:03 AM
erom43
Rookie

I finally bit the bullet, and got my third set of tires for my 2013 RX. I got about 45K from both the OEM's and the Premier LTX's I replaced them with. Treadwear on the LTX's was down to minimums, and as luck would have it.....my wife drove over a curb, and blew the sidewall on the right front. Was planning on replacing them with the Defenders, however, they would have to be ordered, and not available for three more days. Did not like the idea of my wife driving in the rain, with the temp spare on the front, and no spare tire if she ran over another curb. Discount Tire had the Premiers in stock for only slightly more than the defenders, so I got them the next day.
I had no complaints at all with the LTX's. Ride, noise, stopping distance and handling were all fine. Only complaint was the treadwear. Really should have replaced the 60K LTX's at 40K. On the bright side, Michelin gave me a treadwear adjustment for the old tires, as well as a rebate offer for the new ones.
Old 06-04-20, 08:58 PM
wahaus
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New tire time - 2012 RX450h. Current tires are Michelin Latitude HP. Can’t comment on wear, as we bought the car used. Leaning towards getting the M Premiere LTX from Costco. Last 4 sets of tires have been Michelins bought from Costco. What can I say, it works for me. Biggest complaint on the Premiere seems to be tread wear. But...there seems to be a newer version marked “DT”. Supposed new tread design with more rubber, intended to wear longer. Any have any experience with this flavor of Premieres?
Old 06-08-20, 09:54 AM
erom43
Rookie

Originally Posted by wahaus
New tire time - 2012 RX450h. Current tires are Michelin Latitude HP. Can’t comment on wear, as we bought the car used. Leaning towards getting the M Premiere LTX from Costco. Last 4 sets of tires have been Michelins bought from Costco. What can I say, it works for me. Biggest complaint on the Premiere seems to be tread wear. But...there seems to be a newer version marked “DT”. Supposed new tread design with more rubber, intended to wear longer. Any have any experience with this flavor of Premieres?
I just got the new LTX DT's on my 2013 RX 350, so can't comment on tread wear yet. However, was told by sales man that Michelin added a slight amount of tread thickness (maybe one thirty second) to the DT's to get a bit more mileage out of them. I too have been happy with the Michelins. From what I can see the LTX's or the Defenders should give you good results. The LTX's slightly better wet road traction, and the Defender's better tread wear duration. Michelin has rebate offer this month, so might be a good time to consider them.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread