RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 11:55 AM
Pupule7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2012 RX350

PIRELLI
SCORPION VERDE A/S PLUS
[size=13px]255 /50 R19 107H XL BSW[/size]

Purchased at Americas Tires
The wider low profile tires have great grip of the road, however the tires provide a stiffer ride and a bit noisy.
Tread life is great.
Overall happy with the tires
replaced OEM Michelin

Old 07-18-20, 09:45 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I put on the Scorpion Verde Plus II s about 4 months ago. Love them so far. Quietest tire I have ever had. Absorb road shock quite well .The II s are supposed to be much improved. I think they are superior to the Michelins. I also think Michelins are behind the times in technology and overpriced. I did a lot of research, and these were the newest tires out there. I am very glad I purchased them.
Old 07-20-20, 05:39 AM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

spineman, are yours 18's or 19's?
i'm thinking of buying a second RX from this generation [the best IMHO, 10-13], and am looking at ones equipped with 18's just to get 5% reduction in road noise. Truly, if it weren't from the constant roar on our '13 equipped with 19" rims, I would have already bought a second one, but as-is my aging 4runner is quieter in this one respect.
I agree Michelins are average in the noise spec - our '13 has premier ltx's and it roars like a train
Old 07-20-20, 07:41 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cognus
i'm thinking of buying a second RX from this generation [the best IMHO, 10-13], and am looking at ones equipped with 18's just to get 5% reduction in road noise. Truly, if it weren't from the constant roar on our '13 equipped with 19" rims, I would have already bought a second one, but as-is my aging 4runner is quieter in this one respect.
I agree Michelins are average in the noise spec - our '13 has premier ltx's and it roars like a train
Have you driven other RX from this generation? It sounds like you have a bad bearing to me.
Old 07-20-20, 08:36 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

I have the 19's and mine is an 11. When I bought it, it had Goodyear TripleTreds and they were so loud, I thought I was going to sell the car.... until I bought the Pirellis. Try 'em. You won't be disappointed even with the 19's
Old 07-24-20, 05:13 AM
cognus
Rookie

I must say the aggregate reviews of the Scorpion Verdes does not motivate me to try them. not a very high wow factor
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews
Old 07-24-20, 05:14 AM
cognus
Rookie

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Have you driven other RX from this generation? It sounds like you have a bad bearing to me.
i know what bad bearings are.
yes driven many. this was the best one. also it amazingly escaped the lousy leather of the generation. still looks newish
Old 07-24-20, 05:49 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

I must say the aggregate reviews of the Scorpion Verdes does not motivate me to try them. not a very high wow factor
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews
Those reviews are for the previous version.
Old 07-27-20, 04:46 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive a 2014 RX 350 that came with Michelin Latitues, they lasted almost 40,000 until they performed poorly in the rain. I replaced them with Michelin LTX premiers and now have 73,000 on the car. They are still doing well even in heavy rain and are not noisy. We also put them on my wife's 2013 Rx 450H and those are great as well. I am sure they won't make the 60,000 mile rating, but Costco stands behind the wear and will replace them prorated when the time comes. The only other tire I am considering is Cooper, but will need to get more info. Both cars have 19 inch wheels.
Old 07-27-20, 10:05 AM
MarinRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We wore through our Verde Pluses a lot faster than I was expecting (definitely less than 50k miles) since we were swapping them with Blizzaks in the winter (which also wore rather quickly but I blame my laziness on getting them swamped promptly when snow stopped). Verdes were good tires but really not thrilled with the tread life.

Building on the laziness and lack of driving with COVID I procrastinated on taking the Blizzaks off until earlier this month and finally went for a set of BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT from Costco which seemed like a great price at ~$171/tire before installation (I called a local shop to price compare and they were $1,100 with installation and said if I could get them at the Costco price to jump on it since they couldn't match it with their wholesale pricing). I was planning on keeping the Blizzaks for one more season but was advised they were very worn and I'd be getting better snow traction with the new tires so we went ahead and tossed them. Put ~1.5k miles on them immediately after install with back to back roadtrips and so far am loving them. Very quiet and smooth ride. Haven't had them in any adverse weather yet so TBD on that but happy with the price and performance so far.
Old 07-30-20, 05:34 PM
drivemycar
Rookie

Default Costco Sale on Michelin Tires; Question

I drive my 2012 RX 350 mostly local and put about 5K miles on it annually but it finally needs new tires. Costco is running a sale until Aug 4 of $110 off (about 10%) both Mich Latitude Tour HP and the Primacy MXM4 are on sale, the Latitudes cost about $50 more for the 4 tires, I don't know which Mich tires are currently on my car, and comparison charts between these two Mich tires make it seem they're very close to identical....anyone have thoughts regarding my choice here, I plan to order. BTW, The Mich Premier LTX DT are NOT at Costco for my model, just those two Mich models....... Many thanks

Steve in Connecticut
Old 07-31-20, 02:23 PM
gpb127
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Michelin Latitudes only lasted 30,000 miles on my 11 RX350. I switched to Continental 235/55R19 crosscontact LX25 tires. So far they work very well.
Old 08-02-20, 02:00 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by gpb127
My Michelin Latitudes only lasted 30,000 miles on my 11 RX350. I switched to Continental 235/55R19 crosscontact LX25 tires. So far they work very well.
Ha, at the rate we're (not) driving, 30,000 will last me six years, about as long as I want to keep a tire anyway. I got the Latitudes from Costco and find them quite acceptable...
Old 08-03-20, 01:03 PM
drivemycar
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX in NC
I think the best bang-for-the-buck all-season tire for these crossover SUVs remains the General Altimax RT43. I have had a set on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R for three years now and I can assure you they are indeed great tires. When the mediocre Kumho Solus KL21 tires that came on my wife's 2015 RX350 when we purchased it in late October 2018 wear out, I will replace them with a set of these Generals.
Hi, last October you posted about the General Altimax RT43.....cae to update your thoughts now. I'm looking for alternatives to Michelin for my 2012 RX 350 which has only 45K on it, drive here in Connecticut on paved roads and yeah, can be freezing winters. But our Town Fair Tire has these for $544, which is a lot less than costco price on the Mich Latitude Tour H and Mich Primacy MXM4, even if Costco through tomorrow night (Aug. 4) is taking 10% off on the total price (with the install, 4 wheel alignment, disposal fee, etc.)thx for your response!
Yesterday 05:00 PM
Old 08-04-20, 05:06 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

My opinion regarding the General Altimax RT43 tire has not changed. Still the best bang-for-the-buck SUV / Crossover tire on the market. The December 2016-installed H-rated version on my 2013 Outback 3.6R continues to provide me with excellent grip in all weather conditions. These tires remain quiet, they continue to track straight, and their treadwear has been minimal (and even). I run them at 32 to 33 psi year-round. I still intend to put a set on my wife's 2015 RX350 at some point but given our very limited driving right now due to the pandemic, that will probably be at least a couple of years from now unless her mediocre Kumho tires start to disintegrate.

For further information to assist in making your decision, go to tirerack.com, find the General Altimax RT43, and read the customer reviews (particularly any reviews submitted by RX-series owners or Toyota Highlander owners).

Last edited by RX in NC; 08-04-20 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread