RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 11:03 AM
nsnqst
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Michelin Promise Plan and Costco

Hi All,

Despite being a Michelin customer for nearly two decades, I did not know about their Promise Plan. Which essentially provides 30 days to return new tires if the customer is not happy with they way they ride. However the money paid must be used at the same tire shop to purchase another set of Michelins.

https://www.michelinman.com/warranty.html

Costco does provide this as well. Others maybe aware of it already but if not, thought I’d share it with fellow forum members.

Old 09-30-20, 06:25 PM
Gardel
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you nsnqst!! Definitely, the MXM4 are going to be the more comfy. I bought the car 2 months ago

Another question I have is: How can I know if I have "sport tuned suspensions"? Seemingly, the sport package includes that and 19 inch wheels (which I have). Anyone?
Old 09-30-20, 09:23 PM
nsnqst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gardel
Thank you nsnqst!! Definitely, the MXM4 are going to be the more comfy. I bought the car 2 months ago

Another question I have is: How can I know if I have "sport tuned suspensions"? Seemingly, the sport package includes that and 19 inch wheels (which I have). Anyone?
The 19” wheels on my 2014 RX base came with the
“FT” package that had 19” wheels & all-season tires. This means that 19” wheels don’t necessarily mean there is a sports package.

The best way to find the information on your specific car is to use the Lexus VIN information site.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs

You can use the link above to enter the VIN of your RX & it will tell you everything that was made at the factory, including packages. No need to sign-in or register; just enter your VIN and click on “download full specs” and you’ll get the information of your RX.

For reference, I’ve added two screenshots of details of my RX.

Options on the RX

Standard features included with the base RX

Do let us know what you find! I didn’t know some of these packages existed abd my car had those 😂!

Last edited by nsnqst; 09-30-20 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 07:08 PM
Gardel
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! I looked up my car on that page and got the info. Basically, same as the one in that post. !9 inch with all season tires. I discover that I have HID headlights -I thought they were halogen. Not much more, but yes, no sports suspensions. Thank you all, very useful. It also says when the car was ordered and when it was used for the 1st time. Cool.
Old 10-01-20, 08:15 PM
nsnqst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gardel
Thanks! I looked up my car on that page and got the info. Basically, same as the one in that post. !9 inch with all season tires. I discover that I have HID headlights -I thought they were halogen. Not much more, but yes, no sports suspensions. Thank you all, very useful. It also says when the car was ordered and when it was used for the 1st time. Cool.
Glad that you were able to look up your RX’s specs. The HID lights come with the comfort package. Those are far better than the halogens. See I told you there might be a surprise in there 😅
Old 10-05-20, 07:08 PM
nsnqst
Rookie

Originally Posted by nsnqst
I did a lot of research on Michelin tires (been using Michelins for nearly 20 years and very happy with their tires). This included talking to Michelin, Tire Rack and various other sites and YouTube for my 2014 RX with 19” wheels. Initial shortlist included Michelin Defender LTX, Premier LTX, Cross Climate 2, Primacy Tour and MXM4.

Cross Climate 2 is VERY new; made for wintery/ rainy weather & was told by Costco Tire store associates are 3 different locations that they will be comparatively noisier compared to others. So that was out.

The next was Defender LTX - given that they were primarily made as light truck tires and reading that the ride is bumpy for many reviewers, that was out.

It was down to the Premier LTX, Primacy MXM4 and Primacy Tour. Premier LTX can run out of tread faster than the others (already have them on my RX) & I wanted to try a different tire so the Premier LTX was out.

Of the Primacy Tour and Primacy MXM4, I found that, for my use, the MXM4 would give me the comfortable and quiet ride with excellent dry & wet traction as well as some snow traction (we seldom get snow here in Texas).

All initial 5 tires are very good tires, the remaining 3 came on top and it was down to personal preference, based on what one is looking for.

Reading previous posts on this thread made me research other brands but I found it was safer to stay with Michelins.

Hope you and other members find this helpful. Good luck and please let us know what you decide. Happy driving and be safe!
I got the MXM4s installed today at Costco. Attached are comparisons of the old Premier LTX at 3/32nd and the new MXM4 at full thread. Although the duration is different, the max/ peak are from highway; the first 2+ minutes.

I used the NIOSH SLM app for the iPhone to record this; I’m sure some noise on the Premier LTX is attributed to a thinner thread. I’m in no way saying that née Premier LTXs won’t be good; just that my preference was MXM4s and share the results.

Premier LTX at 3/32nd

Brand new MXM4s at full thread

Old 10-15-20, 08:17 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

How are the General Altimax RT43 holding up? After a few years?

I'm about to buy new tires, and I'm considering the General Altimax tires.

Last edited by Non; 10-15-20 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 08:44 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

The General Altimax RT43 H-rated tires on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R (installed in December 2016) continue to hold up very well. As I have stated several times, when my wife's 2015 RX350 needs new tires it will get a set of them as well.
Old 10-31-20, 07:51 AM
cognus
Rookie

Lightbulb Update Halloween,20

Originally Posted by gpb127
My Michelin Latitudes only lasted 30,000 miles on my 11 RX350. I switched to Continental 235/55R19 crosscontact LX25 tires. So far they work very well.
Reviews of the Crosscontact LX25 are impressive and I have spent hours going through all competition, sorting first for road noise & ride comfort. I've narrowed to this vs Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235 /55 R19 105H XL BSW. Price wise the latter are about $90 more for total. Longevity is not a biggie for me as harder compounds generally make harder ride. The Conti CC LX 25 doesn't appear to have any glaring weakness. But there are a lot more reviews on the Mich.
By contrast, compared to either of these the Michelin Premiers look average in reviews, which has been our experience. I think the Kumho HT51,s I have on my 4runner beat the Premiers.

Old 11-14-20, 01:06 PM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Decided to go with the Michelin crossclimate 2 tires while they still had the rebate/ sale going.
They are on my wife's 14 with 19" wheels. ride is good, sound level good. Really like the snow rating, though have not had any storms to try them out in yet.

Last edited by UtahMTB; 12-04-20 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-14-20, 04:26 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

If I still had a third generation RX, I would be looking at the Toyo A20. I have them on my Highlander. They are quiet and I have 55,000 miles on them, with plenty of tread left.
Old 11-16-20, 05:43 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried Continental DWS on a RX 350 with 19 inch wheels?
Old 11-19-20, 02:04 AM
lvmark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Has anyone tried the Yokohama YK740GTL? It's only available at Discount Tire Company. They keep telling me it's a great tire but I can't find any reviews
that don't seem to be sponsored by Discount Tire. I have a 2014 RX350 with 19" wheels. Thank you.
Old 11-29-20, 10:34 PM
lvmark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama????????Please help

Has anyone tried the Yokohama YK740GTL? It's only available at Discount Tire Company. They keep telling me it's a great tire but I can't find any reviews
that don't seem to be sponsored by Discount Tire. I have a 2014 RX350 with 19" wheels. Thank you.
Old 12-04-20, 06:48 AM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Michelin Crossclimate 2 review

After having these on our 2014 RX for a couple of months now, this matches our experience so far. Still no winter snow storms to have tested them in, but since that is basically what they were engineered for, I have little concern about that. My concern was how a 3 peaks rated tire would perform in warmer desert type conditions, as our travel often takes us from the heat of St. George to snow in high elevations in the same day or even in the same drive.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/12/02/m...l-season-tire/

My other concern was road noise at highway speeds. Interior db measurements were the same as with oem tires that these replaced. (20k miles on the car)
Honestly seems like these tires were almost engineered for me specifically..lol
The following users liked this post:
nsnqst (12-24-20)

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread