RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 07:04 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lvmark
Has anyone tried the Yokohama YK740GTL? It's only available at Discount Tire Company. They keep telling me it's a great tire but I can't find any reviews
that don't seem to be sponsored by Discount Tire. I have a 2014 RX350 with 19" wheels. Thank you.
I have 15k on my Pirelli Verde A/S II s and I still love them. One of the quietest tires I've owned and I believe on Tire Rack the 19" were on sale last time I checked. Great in the rain as well.
Old 12-08-20, 01:45 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahMTB
After having these on our 2014 RX for a couple of months now, this matches our experience so far. Still no winter snow storms to have tested them in, but since that is basically what they were engineered for, I have little concern about that. My concern was how a 3 peaks rated tire would perform in warmer desert type conditions, as our travel often takes us from the heat of St. George to snow in high elevations in the same day or even in the same drive.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/12/02/m...l-season-tire/

My other concern was road noise at highway speeds. Interior db measurements were the same as with oem tires that these replaced. (20k miles on the car)
Honestly seems like these tires were almost engineered for me specifically..lol
Our experience has been the same. No real snow testing yet, but I'm sure they are at least as good, and probably better, than the LTX's they replaced.

Mark
Old 12-21-20, 04:39 PM
MarinRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find a clear answer on the speed rating for winter tires so curious what other's experience has been. We've used Blizzaks in the past but I saw what seems to be a good deal on Sumitomo Ice Edge tires (through Big O) where they'd price match another online retailer at $101.97/tire. However, I spoke to another rep there to order today and he said they don't meet the speed rating for the RX and when I mentioned Blizzaks he said that's actually an even lower rating (I think he said the Sumitomos were H/130 and the Blizzaks were S/112 but can't remember for sure). Little surprised on the Blizzaks given we had a set for 5 years that we had no issues with but wondering if others have ran into this and what, if any issues were encountered.

They did say the could get us this "Arctic Claw WXI" at $111/tire that did meet the speed rating but I can only find limited reviews online so am a little wary.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-20, 11:30 AM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried using steel wheels on the RX350 during the winter? If you advise not to, do you mind saying why? The Toyota website advises to use steel during winter, but I saw a comment on another post in this forum saying "not to go steelies" on the RX350. Any thoughts?
Old 12-26-20, 11:05 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Why? There are many used Toyota and Lexus wheels available in the correct sizes, especially in 18 inch. Highlander, Venza, Camry, Sienna, ES350, RX etc all are built on the same chassis and take the same size and offset wheels. Hunt around on craigslist & eBay. You never know when that bargain set of mint wheels will show up.
Old 12-27-20, 01:23 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Any thoughts on this set? I see this little damage on the third picture, but I don't have any experience as to how bad it is.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1541437030
Either eBay or Kijiji have very few options. My plan is to go to junkyards, or end up buying aftermarket (I was thinking about Enkey wheels)
Old 12-28-20, 06:02 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

I decided not to take the risk of buying the wheel from the previous post, and I will not buy any aftermarket rims, only Toyota or Lexus.

The good news is that I found a very nice set of Lexus NX 200T wheels on Kijiji, but the bad news is that they are slightly smaller than what I need for my model.
My RX350 is equipped with a 235/55R19 while the NX wheel is 225/60R18. I was planning to go from 19'' to 18'', but I was going to match the difference by increasing the sidewall accordingly.
The difference in diameter/circumference is around 2%. How much is acceptable/safe? I read on a blog that we should avoid anything above +/- 3%, have anyone heard anything similar?
Old 12-28-20, 08:01 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As you may know, the RX350 had an 18" wheel option, the tire size was 235/60/18, which you could do on the NX wheels and achieve the same overall diameter as the 235/55/19. I wouldn't go with the tire size you mentioned 225/60/18 that these NX wheels appear to have come with or had. Otherwise, looks like the NX wheels are 7.5 inches wide, the center bore and offset are the same as the RX for the wheels they had with that tire size. Bolt pattern is of course the same. Not to make things confusing, but just double check on the NX wheel offset as Lexus offered the NX with an 18" wheel that had a 39 offset, although the tire was a 235/55/18. You should see all the needed numbers on the inside of the wheel. If tire pressure monitors are important to you, then you'll need to factor that in as well. Ideally the NX wheels come with the center caps.

FWIW, aftermarket rims are fine but you just need to confirm the measurements and keep in mind that hub rings and smaller diameter lug nuts (eg. spline lug nuts) may be required. It's what I had to do with the 19" Konig winter wheels on my RX350.
Old 01-01-21, 12:37 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Costco.ca has a good deal for January 1, 2021 only. 20% off which is the best I've seen in Costco where the usual discount is about C$80.

I think will just continue with what I'm replacing which are the Michelin Latitude Tour HP that I've had for the past six years and about 90K (which I think is the tread warranty).

Anyone else ordering today?

EDIT: After doing a couple hours of research on the Pirelli Verde A/S II Plus, I ordered them instead of the Michelin Latitude Tour HP. We’ll see how it goes starting in the spring when I replace the winter tires.

Last edited by lex_rx; 06-15-21 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-25-21, 11:28 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m looking to buy new tires from Costco, for my ‘15 RX350 F sport. I’m specifically looking for Michelin. The options on the website for P235/55R19 are:

1) Michelin primacy all season ( looks like a new tire per tire rack)

2) Michelin Crossclimate2 (looks like a new tire as well). Some people say there is a disconnect between the steering and wheels, as well as a low hum noise at low levels. And possibly decreased MPG.

3) Michelin latitude tour HP

the cc2’s look good but I’m worried about it being a new tire and the tactile disconnect between the steering and wheels and the noise at low speeds. I don’t know much about the other 2. Please advise, thanks.

Last edited by CPMD; 01-25-21 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 10:26 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CPMD
I’m looking to buy new tires from Costco, for my ‘15 RX350 F sport. I’m specifically looking for Michelin. The options on the website for P235/55R19 are:

2) Michelin Crossclimate2 (looks like a new tire as well). Some people say there is a disconnect between the steering and wheels, as well as a low hum noise at low levels. And possibly decreased MPG.

the cc2’s look good but I’m worried about it being a new tire and the tactile disconnect between the steering and wheels and the noise at low speeds. I don’t know much about the other 2. Please advise, thanks.
I have already decided on the CC2 for my RX450h.
Old 02-01-21, 01:22 PM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
I have already decided on the CC2 for my RX450h.
Per my previous posting, put the CC2s on my wife's 2014. Not a ton of miles on them. But they did great in a few recent snow storms here.
Asked her what she thought of tire noise and she said that they sound fine to her.
Old 02-01-21, 04:33 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Like lex_rx above I went with the Pirellis and we love them. I spend months researching and comparing. We have about 12k on them now. They are super quiet, superior handling and I think more advanced than the Michelins which in general are just overrated/overpriced. I wouldn't go with the CC2s unless you are doing a lot of driving in the snow. If that is the case, I would get a dedicated snow tire. I personally just don't like how the tread pattern on the CC2 looks as well. Hope that helps!
Old 02-01-21, 06:44 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Michelin does a lot of engineering, I'd have no issues at all w/ the C/C's at all.......The Primacy, I'd pass on, lot better of w/ the Premier's......
Old 02-01-21, 07:51 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I also went with the Pirelli Verde A/S Plus II a few days ago. Had the Michelin Premier's, which provided a very comfortable and quiet ride, but they wore down incredibly fast (about 25,000 miles with approximately 25% tread remaining). The Pirelli's are also pretty quiet and handle better in the corners but they are not as smooth riding as the Premier's. The Michelin's didn't perform well in the snow, and we'll see how the Pirelli's do, if we get any snow this winter.
The following users liked this post:
Yuurei8 (10-15-22)

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread