RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 09:45 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

Thought I'd chip in as I have Michelin and Pirelli on both of my vehicles. My 3RX F-Sport is equipped with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and my ol' trusty Highlander with the Scorpion Verdes. First and foremost, the Michelin's are a cut above the Pirelli's in almost every way, including comfort (even with a way lower profile sidewall). However, after this experiment I can't recommend such a high performance tire for our softly-sprung and heavy cars. The Michelin tires are extremely grippy (dry & wet), smooth, quiet and very comfortable at the cost of being more expensive and wearing out significantly faster. They can't meet their full potential as my RX's suspension gives out way before the tire does, I tried my RX wheel/tire combo on my lighter Highlander and it suited that car perfectly, however it has large sway bars, H&R springs and new KYB struts on it.

The Scorpion Verdes are likely the more preferred choice for a daily driver. Although they fall short compared to the Michelin tires in the handling department, they still have a great amount of grip in the dry & wet (the Michelins really excel in the wet), are still relatively quiet, are average comfort-wise, and FAR cheaper! A very versatile tire and I like 'em, last real long too as they have held up nicely to everything I've thrown at them. I have not tested any of these tires in the winter so I cannot comment on that, as I have dedicated winter tires for both vehicles. I'll give my honest opinion about those too. My RX has the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 tires while the 'Lander has Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s.

The Nokian's are a great tire, but they're overkill for the winter weather we have up here in Canada. I would only run these if I was constantly driving in icy, snowy weather on a daily basis. These tires like the Michelins are very expensive and are overkill for my application, so the RX got spoiled yet again. They are a very rough-riding tire and are loud too, handling in the dry is quite impressive for a winter tire, but these bad boys really shine on icy, snow-covered roads. Keyword here is ice. They are a fantastic tire for their job, but we don't have much ice up here, and roads get cleared pretty fast. When there is just regular snowy, slushy conditions, my Blizzaks perform equally as well with more comfort and a much lower price tag.

My point is that I don't think that anyone should cheap out on tires, as it is the most important part of a car. However, sometimes you don't need a crazy overkill tire for your car to get great results.

The following 2 users liked this post by MattRX:
LuizCA (04-16-22), MacCat (07-26-21)
Old 02-02-21, 06:23 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC
I also went with the Pirelli Verde A/S Plus II a few days ago. Had the Michelin Premier's, which provided a very comfortable and quiet ride, but they wore down incredibly fast (about 25,000 miles with approximately 25% tread remaining). The Pirelli's are also pretty quiet and handle better in the corners but they are not as smooth riding as the Premier's. The Michelin's didn't perform well in the snow, and we'll see how the Pirelli's do, if we get any snow this winter.
I would agree on those points. I read a lot of reviews that stated people were not getting anticipated mileage out of newer Michelins. No one knows how many miles will come out of the Pirelli II Plus yet. Just tried the Pirelli's for the first time in snow these past two days. I didn't break traction once with the Hybrid snow activated.
The following 2 users liked this post by spineman:
MacCat (07-26-21), Yuurei8 (10-15-22)
Old 02-02-21, 06:39 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

MattRx do you have the Verde A/S Plus IIs? Supposedly the compound has been significantly improved.
Old 02-03-21, 07:34 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

Ah, I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S I instead of the II! I’d love to see what the IIs are like compared to mine, may have to try them out when my old ones wear out (going on 3 years strong with 40k kilometres).
The following users liked this post:
MacCat (07-26-21)
Old 03-25-21, 02:13 PM
lvmark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama YK740

How well did the Yokohama 740 gtl do?
I have been considering them but can’t find any reviews that aren’t sponsored by Discount tire. Thank you for your opinion.
Old 04-03-21, 09:15 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just put on Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 H & V-rated today. Hope this will be good as Bridgestone and Pirelli Scorpion i had in the past. Anyone have these?
Yuurei8 (10-15-22)
Old 04-04-21, 05:26 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

The most common issue reported with Sumitomo is short tread life. How much tread life did you get out of your Bridgestone and Pirelli sets?
Yuurei8 (10-15-22)
Old 04-04-21, 01:29 PM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Paid a little over $1000 in november for Continental Cross Contact LX25's on our 2013 with 19" rims. Including the original instae given them 4 tries to balance the tires including one rotate/balance. Nada. Will not balance. This particular Discount Tire shop has bailed me out 3 times in the past when other ones could not balance my GM truck, My beloved 04 Camry [like silk], and my 07 4runner [my DD]. Contacted manager, he said he would full refund against some other set.

So I'm desperate for a PROVEN Quiet tire, that WILL balance on this vehicle. I would put Kumho Ergun HT51 on but they don't make the size [have on my 4runner]
Old 04-04-21, 02:03 PM
RX in NC
Racer

I have had a set of General Altimax RT43 tires on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R (17-inch wheels) since December 2016 and really like that tire. When my wife's 2015 RX350 (19-inch wheels) needs a new set of tires, it will also get these Generals. General is owned by Continental (and I also deal with Discount Tire). If you request that your new tires be road-force balanced at installation, you are unlikely to have any problems. These tires carry a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty from Discount Tire. I do not expect them to last quite that long, but that is certainly a great warranty.
Old 04-08-21, 06:55 AM
cognus
Rookie

because they are quiet? or what is it that has you impressed? I'm having to make the decision on the RX like right now, and am also looking for a set for my '13 Sequoia, 20", and QUIET/Balanceable are my two #1 mandates
BTW.. I should add as a FWIW that the ONLY reason I haven't already bought a second 10-'15 RX is road noise. not only the level of road noise but the particular resonance range of the RX's "envelope", for those who have read-up on 'fundamental resonance"
JJA1234 (05-26-22)
Old 04-08-21, 07:12 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Because they are a great bang-for-the-buck all-season tire. Relatively quiet, relatively long tread life, superb in the rain and snow, easy to balance, have never hydroplaned, they track straight, etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-08-21, 09:09 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
The most common issue reported with Sumitomo is short tread life. How much tread life did you get out of your Bridgestone and Pirelli sets?
Each set go arond 50k miles. There were some thread left for both that I could drive for another year (~10k miles) but just to be safe and I hate to see Flat tire (very annoying). I just hope this Sumitomo go 40-50k than should be good and that should be it (65k mile warranty on the website)
Old 04-08-21, 01:04 PM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lvmark
How well did the Yokohama 740 gtl do?
I have been considering them but can’t find any reviews that aren’t sponsored by Discount tire. Thank you for your opinion.
I have used YKxxx in other vehicle. Very slippy and terrible. Good for drifting. 😆
Old 04-08-21, 09:33 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

Originally Posted by Felix
Michelin does a lot of engineering, I'd have no issues at all w/ the C/C's at all.......The Primacy, I'd pass on, lot better of w/ the Premier's......
Got OEM Michelins with my 3RX, just put in an order with Kal Tire for a set of Michelin Premier LTX for my spring tire change-eroo later this month.

They initially pitched me the Michelin Defender LTX, but on comparison, the Premier LTX had better noise and comfort characteristics, for only $3 more per tire. And with a low mileage weekend driver like our 3RX, we replace our tires more due to age than mileage. So the lingering doubt on lower tread life on the Premier wasn't a concern for us.
Old 04-17-21, 05:50 PM
Trianon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised that nobody talks about Michelin Primacy MXM4 and Michelin Defender LTX M/S.
According to tire rack ratings they are the best of Michelin's.
On my RX350, 2015 I have OE Dunlop Grandtrek Touring. I have 60 000 km on them and want to replace with Michelin.
I have great experience with Michelin Primacy over last 20 yrs., but now Defender has even better ratings than Primacy MXM4, so I am considering to purchase the Defender. Does anybody have experience with these new Michelin tires.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread