RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 04:31 PM
Sterkoff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Crossclimate2

Just had Costco install a set of the Michelin Crossclimate2 tires on my 2015 and although it has only been 100 miles, I thought I would chime in to let other know that they are initially a quiet tire. They are certainly quieter than the old Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus tires they replaced, but those were also on their last legs at about 3, so not a true comparison. Point of this post is that I was concerned by the unusual tread design and worried that the CrossClimate2 would be noisy and so far it is not at all. They also handle great in the dry and the steering seems more responsive. Had a good downpour last weekend in the Northwest with some early leaves blocking storm drains and so was able to test hydroplaning through some deep water and these tires were just fantastic at sticking to the road. We'll see how they do long term but initially they are very impressive.
l
Old 10-03-21, 06:56 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

A bit early to provide a meaningful review but here goes:

1. What tire brand/model did you get?
Vredestein Quatrac Pro
2. Tire size?
235/55-19
3. Price paid and place of purchase?
$876, Tire Rack
4. What tire did they replace and mileage?
Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS, 40K
5. Other tires considered (if applicable)?
Michelin CrossClimate 2, Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3
6. What do you like most/least about your new tires? Updates?
Most: Wet traction (heavy rain the day I picked up the vehicle), ride quality/comfort, quiet
Least: UTQG treadwear 400, price
Old 11-11-21, 04:44 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just changed over to winter tires.

Update on the Pirelli Verde AS+2 with about 5K km only since May 2021 as I now work from home.

At 32 PSI, tires feel a tad harsher than the Michelins. Wet traction has been tested a few times in heavy rain and it was good. Noise level sounds the same as the Michelin OEM.

Last edited by lex_rx; 11-21-21 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-20-21, 08:06 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I put the Quatrac pro's on my RX, LS and SC. Excellent tire!!! I just put the Quatrac Pros 19" on my RX. Totally transforms the ride. Much smoother and quieter than the Pirelli Scorpian and better wet traction, the tires do not break free under acceleration from a stop. BEST tire for this vehicle!!!!

Last edited by tiglesias; 12-22-21 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 12:28 PM
MacCat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tiglesias
I put the Quatrac pro's on my RX, LS and SC. Excellent tire!!!

I never heard of that brand. It looks like it's a Dutch tire company called Vredestein.

Apollo Vredestein B.V. has its head office in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and its production facility in Enschede. It designs, manufactures and sells tires under the Apollo and Vredestein brand names via offices in Europe and North America.

No dealers in Texas.
Old 11-23-21, 05:14 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Mac,

Tire rack will ship them to your door and recommend preferred installers in your area.

Best,

Tom
Old 11-23-21, 09:28 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will be looking for new shoes for the 2014 RX 350 with 19” wheels. I have nearly 55,000 on the Michelin LTX PREMIERS. Costco has recommended the Cross tracks and I guess that will be the direction for me.
Old 11-28-21, 07:03 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Originally Posted by MacCat
No dealers in Texas.
Originally Posted by tiglesias
Tire rack will ship them to your door and recommend preferred installers in your area.
Yeah, I'm in Houston and got them via Tire Rack but I've been getting tires from them since 2007.
Old 11-30-21, 01:55 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Tire Rack will ship them directly to the tire participating installer of your choice. I have done this many times. Just notify the shop the tires are on the way and again the day delivery is expected and make your appointment.
Old 12-16-21, 06:55 PM
BartWindru
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Silver 2015 RX450h: Last winter I wound up driving a 1500 mile roundtrip from the Colorado Front Range to Las Vegas and back. With snow/ice tires. I almost could hear the tread shredding from snow/ice tires at 80mph in desert temps; it was dry virtually all the way. Last April I installed Michelin CrossClimate 2s, 235/55/19 at Discount Tire. I considered Costco but chose DT since a) they offered me the Michelin $150 spring discount before the official start week and have a nationwide network; and b) Costco was, surprisingly, a bit of a hassle…they don't make advance appointments and I wanted them on before the last snowfalls. $875 net with $190 total discount ($40 Costco member, a nice bene) and I opted for the replacement certificate $120, else the total net would've been a very attractive $755. The CC2s replaced two sets: Yokohama IceGuard G075 and Nexen Nfera RU5 highway; no more 2x/yr swapping. After extensive YouTubing (do watch the many technical and drivetest videos—they are fascinating and even awesome), and even before this winter's anticipated TireRack snow performance testing, I was confidently sold and had no other tires under consideration.

Soon after purchase we had 4-5" of slushy snow. I took The Cloud, as I have named it, to an empty school parking lot. I floored it halfway across, then slammed on the brakes. I did this in all driving modes, with and without traction control. Except for just 1-2 millisecond blips of the traction idiot light, there was zero slippage. Zero, whether accelerating or braking. How much is the RX's weight, how much is the CC2's, I don't know; probably the combination.

On dry roads these Grand Touring tires, with a street-legal winter snowflake badge, ride like ghosts. Smooth, quiet.
Old 01-05-22, 06:17 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Originally Posted by takeshi74
1. What tire brand/model did you get?
Vredestein Quatrac Pro
Minor update: tires did well in light snow in Santa Fe & a bit heavier snow from Colorado Springs to just past Lubbock on our recent road trip. They're 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated so they're not winter tires. That and hybrid snow mode on the 450h helped.
Old 01-08-22, 09:03 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Our all season Michelins are getting close to needing replacement. They were still great on snow last winter but this year traction has definitely declined. I still had the old 17" snow tires from our '07 RX350 so I tried them on to see if they'd fit. Surprisingly, they cleared the front brakes. The closest point to the inside of the wheel was actually the suspension bolt on the rear. So close it knocked the wheel weights off when I backed out of the garage. Between that and how completely ridiculous it looked, I started shopping for a new set.

Found some on Facebook marketplace, not the perfect size, but close enough. Nokian Hakkapelitta SUV8 in 245/60/18. They are practically brand new. I'm a huge fan of Nokian winter tires. Have them on my truck and have used several sets on my Audis. Can't wait for a good snow to try them out...

Old 01-08-22, 12:38 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Hakkas

I've been using Hakkas for over 20 years now, fabulous in the snow.
The following users liked this post:
ghuns (01-10-22)
Old 01-15-22, 08:09 AM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacing my OEM tires on Monday!

Wish me luck everyone! After serious research and reading this forum and this thread, I ordered myself 4 brand new Michelin Premier LTX’s, 235/55/19 (stock size) to replace the original Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400’s that are still on my 2015 RX350 AWD. I will be getting the new tires installed first thing Monday morning, filled with nitrogen, and of course a 4 wheel alignment. For those of you who had the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400’s and swapped to Premier LTX’s, what has your experience been? Will just go over 37,000 original miles on my way to the tire store on Monday.
Old 01-17-22, 05:45 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have around 50,000 miles on the Michelin Premier LTXs on my 2014 Rex 350. The tires have performed well. The tread is getting low now and they will getting replaced soon. We do not drive it much since getting a new F159 last summer. It has 86,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it long term. Costco is pushing the Cross Climates to replace the LTX. We had an LTX blow out on my wife’s 2013 RX 450H. I think it happened because of cross rotation. I insist on front/back rotation to keep the sidewalls rolling in the same direction. It was a side wall blow that took the tire with less than 15,000 miles on it. I will probably put the Cross Climate tires on the 350 in the spring.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread