RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 07:04 AM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyside
I have around 50,000 miles on the Michelin Premier LTXs on my 2014 Rex 350. The tires have performed well. The tread is getting low now and they will getting replaced soon. We do not drive it much since getting a new F159 last summer. It has 86,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it long term. Costco is pushing the Cross Climates to replace the LTX. We had an LTX blow out on my wife’s 2013 RX 450H. I think it happened because of cross rotation. I insist on front/back rotation to keep the sidewalls rolling in the same direction. It was a side wall blow that took the tire with less than 15,000 miles on it. I will probably put the Cross Climate tires on the 350 in the spring.

Getting ready to go swap out my tires. Out with the original oem Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400’s and in with the new Michelin Premier LTX’s! Wish me luck everyone, I’ll post so instal pics and my thoughts on the difference between the two tires.
Old 01-17-22, 02:15 PM
RxLex2015
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Michelin Premier LTX’s Installed

Original tires waiting to be dismounted.

Fresh Michelin road rubber.
Old 04-16-22, 01:40 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hope you like them. That may be my next tire. I have over 35,000 miles on a set of Pirelli Scorpion. I will never buy them again.
The following users liked this post:
RxLex2015 (04-17-22)
Old 04-16-22, 02:13 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chas410
Hope you like them. That may be my next tire. I have over 35,000 miles on a set of Pirelli Scorpion. I will never buy them again.
Why would you never buy them again? Which version of the Scorpion do you have?

I need to buy a new set of tires for spring/summer and I was planning to go with Scorpion AS Plus 3. The second option is the Michelin CrossClimate 2 but they are a bit pricier and I don't care that much about its performance on ice since I have a dedicated set of winter tires...
Old 04-16-22, 03:02 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My tires are the Scorpion verde m+s. the tires are noisy, the rubber is starting to crack and if you jack the car up and spin the tire it appears you can see where the seam of the tread is joined together. My next tire will either be a Michelin or a Toyo Celsius CUV. I have used Toyo before and had really good luck. My son-in-law currently have them on a SUV and Mini Van.
The following users liked this post:
Madcar (06-02-22)
Old 05-05-22, 12:57 PM
Noobbie
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cooper Tires

Just bought a 2014. The dealer installed two brand new Cooper Discoverer SRX on the back only. The front are same tires except about 4 years old. 2017 date code and tires were last changed according to Carfax in 2018 and about 45-50k miles ago. So fair too guess these are those tires.

Using a US penny to measure, the tires are just covering the top of Lincoln's head. Maybe just past his hair line. And the tread is slightly above the wear bars. According to various website I am either in "ok' to "change soon" range. I am probably going to replace them soon if not immediately. But anyone have experience with Cooper? I have never had Cooper and there are limited reviews on line. And if I change them immediately it would be to just match the new tires on the front hence I am wondering about Cooper Tires.

The alternative would be run these a bit like this and then look for a deal on 4 new Michelin/Goodyear etc in 12-24 months depending on wear. But I don't love that idea.

Old 05-06-22, 08:22 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Noobbie
Just bought a 2014. The dealer installed two brand new Cooper Discoverer SRX on the back only. The front are same tires except about 4 years old. 2017 date code and tires were last changed according to Carfax in 2018 and about 45-50k miles ago. So fair too guess these are those tires.

Using a US penny to measure, the tires are just covering the top of Lincoln's head. Maybe just past his hair line. And the tread is slightly above the wear bars. According to various website I am either in "ok' to "change soon" range. I am probably going to replace them soon if not immediately. But anyone have experience with Cooper? I have never had Cooper and there are limited reviews on line. And if I change them immediately it would be to just match the new tires on the front hence I am wondering about Cooper Tires.

The alternative would be run these a bit like this and then look for a deal on 4 new Michelin/Goodyear etc in 12-24 months depending on wear. But I don't love that idea.

Is your RX Front Wheel Drive? Because if it's AWD than you should get matching front tires very soon. Having mismatched tires on an AWD car can do damage to your transfer case.

I don't know much about Cooper tires, I never tried the brand, but I hear they are OK.

5 years old tires will be slippery in snow, so get new ones before the winter

Old 05-06-22, 10:35 AM
Noobbie
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Non
Is your RX Front Wheel Drive? Because if it's AWD than you should get matching front tires very soon. Having mismatched tires on an AWD car can do damage to your transfer case.

I don't know much about Cooper tires, I never tried the brand, but I hear they are OK.

5 years old tires will be slippery in snow, so get new ones before the winter
AWD. But my understanding is it is electrically controlled and the car drives predominantly as FWD until slipping so not as huge concern as it is with mechanical systems - maybe that isnt correct though.

Anyway I pulled the trigger and just bought 2 new Cooper's for the front. We will see. As for Coopers - most reviews seem to land in OK land as well. Kind of wished dealer left the bald tires on and I would have swapped all 4 to michelins
Old 05-09-22, 09:37 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to COSTCO when the Michelin sale is on. I just put a set of CrossClimates on my2013 RX350. They are fantastic in the rain and ride well. The LTX premiers that were on the car went 50,000 and were sliding around. Latitude tours that came on the car barely lasted 39,000.
Old 05-11-22, 02:53 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Noobbie
AWD. But my understanding is it is electrically controlled and the car drives predominantly as FWD until slipping so not as huge concern as it is with mechanical systems - maybe that isnt correct though.

Anyway I pulled the trigger and just bought 2 new Cooper's for the front. We will see. As for Coopers - most reviews seem to land in OK land as well. Kind of wished dealer left the bald tires on and I would have swapped all 4 to michelins
if only installing two new tires, they should always be in the back according to experts and Michelin (never got to check other manufacturers).
Old 06-30-22, 09:21 AM
Merninater
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin CrossClimate 2, Defender LTX M/S, Defender T+H

Any results/opinions on Michelin CrossClimate 2, Defender LTX M/S, and Defender T+H for 3rd gen RX? I am having a hard time making final decision and wish I could try all 3. My 2010 RX350 has 155k miles and it's almost time for tire set #3. I am aware other manufacturers exist however partial to Michelin. The items I have been considering are below. I have been using Consumer Reports, Tirerack, and Michelinman for research.
  • CrossClimate 2 - Best handling with much better tread life than CrossClimate 1. Slightly worse MPG than Defenders. I like the idea of tightening up the "comfort" tracking and steering of the 3rd gen RX. Worried if the "V" style tread pattern will pick-up more debris/punctures.
  • Defender LTX M/S - Great MPG and tread life. Light truck (and SUV) rated which gives good protection against punctures. I work in commercial property management so often driving around contractor vehicles and every so often on access roads.
  • Defender T+H - Great MPG and best tread life. Maybe slightly better handling than LTX M/S.
Old 07-01-22, 05:58 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say if you lived in the Pacific Northwest and mostly Highway driving the CrossClimate (shines in the rain)

Any Snow or Off Road in your future the Defender LTX (Heavy Duty ready for anything)

All Highway and City conservative conditions the Defender T H (a great city and highway tire)

Just my opinion

I have the LTX's on mine. The only time I hear any tire sound is very slow turns radio off, ac off, in a very quiet environment.

Very happy with the LTX's
Old 07-01-22, 06:03 AM
Merninater
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the noise level of your defender ltx m/s cruising highway 70-80 mph?
Old 07-01-22, 06:59 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't hear anything from the tires at speed.
Old 07-04-22, 05:59 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have about 1500 miles on a new set of cross climates. These are a good choice. They just don’ t even notice if it is raining! Good turn in and feel solid. The noise level is not a problem at all. The Premiers that came off went around 50,000 and Costco claimed they were still ok, however they were like grease on a wet road. I am glad they are no longer made. I will put the defenders on my F150.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread