RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 06:53 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also looking at the Primacy MXV4 (235/50R19) and could not see why they were not recommended for the 450h as they seemed to be a better tire than the Latitude. I called the source (Michelin) and found out the the load index on the MXV4's is 99 (1709#) and was the reason, the load index on the Latitude's is 101 (1819#). The 450h is a heavy vehicle and the smaller load index is not recommended. The load index is the number in front of the speed rating (see tire rack for numbers).

Dawg

Last edited by cavedawg; 07-04-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-22-13, 07:46 AM
FishCandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the Michelin Latitude HP. I paid $260 per tire, with free installation. Although I had them on for a few days, they are quiet and very responsive for me. Made in Italy. I had the 18 inch OEM rims, and went to a 19 x 8.5 SSR MS1 rim size and put 235 55 19 tires on them. Glad I did my research.
Old 08-06-13, 01:48 PM
wsdsingh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cavedawg
I was also looking at the Primacy MXV4 (235/50R19) and could not see why they were not recommended for the 450h as they seemed to be a better tire than the Latitude. I called the source (Michelin) and found out the the load index on the MXV4's is 99 (1709#) and was the reason, the load index on the Latitude's is 101 (1819#). The 450h is a heavy vehicle and the smaller load index is not recommended. The load index is the number in front of the speed rating (see tire rack for numbers).

Dawg
The Primacy's for the 18" have a load index of 102, which is the same as the Latitudes.

The thing is that the MXV4's are T rated, where as the MXM4 Primacy's are V rated.
Old 08-08-13, 07:43 AM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my original Michelins at 45,000 miles with the Primacy MXM4 18" tires. There seems to be some noise at low speeds as the tread blocks come into contact with the pavement. Tried 34psi and now 32 psi - no difference. Reminds me of playing cards in bicycle spokes, only much softer!

So far only a few hundred miles on them. Will keep you posted if noise continues or abates.

Still have the tread block sound at low speeds <35mph. Discount Tire is going to check them out on Saturday. They offered Pirelli's or Micheline Lattitudes as possible replacements.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by K1200ltc; 08-14-13 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Updated Info:
Old 08-18-13, 06:41 PM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Thumbs up K1200ltc's Primacy Tires

I met with the guys at Discount Tire on Saurday regarding my tire 'rumble'. They agreed about the sound and ordered in a set of Latitude's to be installed next Saurday. Cost of tire and tax difference comes to approx. $65 per wheel. We'll see how these work compared to the Primacy's.
Old 08-28-13, 06:19 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought I would add my .02 to this thread.

Tire Brand: Mayrun MR500 UHP
http://www.mayruntires.com/

I picked up a 450h on 7/19. During the sale, I made sure to request new tires to be put on the vehicle. Asked him to give me a call beforehand to let me know the brand before they were put on. Sale was finalized on Tues and vehicle was to be picked up on Friday evening because of my crowded schedule that week and wanted the vehicle for a trip that weekend (NY to Boston). Drove my modded GS to the dealership so he would know how familiar I am with Lexus and we could eliminate most of the sale pitch and just focus on price.

Needless to say, I never got my call and it slipped my mind to follow up. When I picked up the vehicle that Friday, was sort of in a rush and combined with behing highly impressed with the 450 after wash and detailing, I forgot to check the brand yet again.

I finally got around to checking the tire brand that following week and was utterly disappointed to find Mayrun tires was the chosen brand. Had never heard of them so of course I went to the web and there were hardly any reviews. It seems this is a start up discount CA company selling Chinese tires. After all of the pre-sale research which included reading this loss azz thread , I can't begin to express the sadness.

The day before, I had received the 'welcome' to the family letter from the dealer GM. So I decided to write him back via email.

"Good Morning Mr. XXX;

My wife and I received your letter (attached) and wanted to thank you for the attention to detail and follow up on our purchase.

It was a pleasure to do business at your dealership. I would like to give special thanks to Sales Consultant Peter XXXX as he was fantastic to deal with. He was very knowledgeable and listened to what our needs were and gave us to recommendations and assurances that we were choosing the right vehicle for us. Any concerns we had, he took care of for us. Peter is the best!

If there was any downside to our experience; it will be in one area: the brand of tires that were chosen to be placed on the vehicle. During the purchase, I mentioned to Peter that I would like to ensure new tires were on the vehicle and if he could advise what brand they would be. My reason for asking is that while researching this purchase, I became aware that the performance of the RX is sensitive to tire brand. As Peter can attest, this is not my first Lexus vehicle, I have been a member of www.ClubLexus.com since 2005. This is a club of over 400,000 members worldwide who share their firsthand Lexus experiences. There is a forum that is dedicated to the RX tire experience and problems associated within (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...re-thread.html). It currently has 106 replies and has been viewed 10,274 times and is the place members refer to when tire purchasing. I was disappointed to receive my vehicle and find that the brand of tires chosen were Mayrun tires. This is a brand I have never heard of and is barely mentioned anywhere on the internet. After doing some digging, I have learned, this is a Chinese discount brand that is relatively unknown in terms of long term performance. While I have no specific deficiencies to speak of at the moment on the tires, I do have some concern over its use for the long term. While there are no specific concerns regarding the tire performance at the moment, my concern is that I have a concern at all. As noted in your attached letter, I enjoy the joy of driving and drive the Lexus brand because I know I can drive worry free as long as I do my part in terms of maintenance. Having a discount tire that costs $99.00 on a Lexus vehicle detracts from that experience and our purchase overall.

I understand that there is likely little to be done at the moment as I should not have accepted the vehicle if I was not satisfied with the brand of tire and accept responsibility for that. However, I did express my concerns to Peter about having new tires before the sale and to his credit, he ensured the service department would put new tires on the vehicle. It never entered my mind during my excitement of going over our new-to-us vehicle to be on the lookout for discount tires from a Lexus dealership. We had a road trip scheduled for the day after our purchase and my intention was to add my experience to the forum thread above as well as another thread related to dealership experiences. Regrettably I haven't as I do not have an answer to the inevitable question as to why I would accept a vehicle as prestigious as Lexus with this brand of tires.

Again, I would like to reiterate that overall our experience was a pleasure and I plan to gladly recommend Peter as a salesman to my family, friends and fellow ClubLexus and NELOC (Northeast Lexus Owners Club) members for their future purchases. Sadly, I will also advise they make sure the service group does not install discount tires prior to purchase. I've expressed my concern to Peter and once again, he offered to look into whether anything can be done. His efforts are beyond amazing and I'm hopeful for a positive outcome."

Peter gave me a call to acknowledge my correspondence to the GM and thank me for the glowing review and to say that he is working on seeing what can be done to satisfy a like minded 'car guy'.

To sum up this long short story, dropped the hybridaboo off this morning at the dealership to have new tires put on. The service manager will call me before installation and we will discuss options (assuming this will not be a normal case for everyone but the GM was involved this time).

Review of the Mayrun tire:
Simply put, I have nothing bad to say about the tires at all. I've put about 2,000 miles on the SUV in a month.

No road noise to speak of
Averaging from 24-26 mpg (decreases significantly the lower the octane of fuel used.
No vibrations
hard for me to compare harshness as my GS is on low profiles and 2 inches off the ground so it's a softer ride regardless
Performed extremely well in wet weather.
Great traction on dry road with hard acceleration

Don't know about their long term stability so didn't want to be the guinea pig but would have to say, unless I read up in the future about these things blowing up on people in the long term, there really isn't anything that would stop me from using them as a replacement for the summer.
Old 08-28-13, 08:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow, I was under the impression any tire replaced by the dealer should be with OE. Guess not. Your e-mail to the GM was extremely cordial despite your disappointment. Proof positive that addressing the issue maturely gets results. Keep us updated on what tire you wind up with, hopefully it'll be something like Michelin. And thanks for the review on the Mayrun. Not that I'm going to be picking them up anytime soon, LOL!
Old 08-28-13, 09:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Review of ... the spare

So I had the unfortunate pleasure of getting a screw in the rear driver side tire last week The low tire pressure light came on while I was driving home. Good thing I didn't have far to go. Hooked up a compressor to keep the tire from going completely flat (it was hissing away) and got in touch with Roadside Assistance. While I was waiting for help, I pulled out the spare. Goodyear. It certainly isn't pretty. But I saw it on another 3RX a few years ago. I already knew what to expect. And it is only temporary. Tow truck showed up and switched out the tires in less than ten minutes. The next morning before work I drove a few miles to my fav tire guy. The spare was fine and unremarkable. It served its purpose. My tire was patched and is good as new.

Here are some pictures including what the display looks like with the spare on.
Attached Thumbnails The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-img_0282.jpg   The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-img_0280.jpg   The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-img_0284.jpg  
Old 08-28-13, 11:17 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

I finally got around to checking the tire brand that following week and was utterly disappointed to find Mayrun tires was the chosen brand. Had never heard of them so of course I went to the web and there were hardly any reviews. It seems this is a start up discount CA company selling Chinese tires. After all of the pre-sale research which included reading this loss azz thread , I can't begin to express the sadness.
I would be concerned enough to check the speed, load index, temperature and traction ratings of this tire on the sidewall. Seems there is absolutely no information on the tire's specs even on the company web site you provided.

http://www.mayruntires.com/tire-specs.cfm?id=235
Old 08-28-13, 11:32 AM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Default Primacy's replaced with Latitude Tour HP

Originally Posted by K1200ltc
I met with the guys at Discount Tire on Saurday regarding my tire 'rumble'. They agreed about the sound and ordered in a set of Latitude's to be installed next Saurday. Cost of tire and tax difference comes to approx. $65 per wheel. We'll see how these work compared to the Primacy's.
Discount Tire took back the 18" Michelin Primacy's that were making the rumble noise and replaced them with Michelin Latitude Tour HP in the same size. The rumble is quite a bit less obtrusive in the cabin at 35mph although not entirely gone. Up at highway speeds, I can't hear the tires at all so it's either beyond my hearing range (possible) or doesn't generate the same harmonics as they do at 35-40.

This is about all we can do at this point within the Michelin brand. Looking forward to impressions of your tires everyone.
Old 08-28-13, 01:22 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The Mayrun site posted doesn't even list a Lexus beyond 2010 or for a RX.
Old 08-28-13, 01:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The Mayrun site posted doesn't even list a Lexus beyond 2010 or for a RX.
You can search by size but it does not get you very much.
Old 08-28-13, 01:30 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

We agreed on the Dunlops. If road noise is the biggest issue per this thread, I can deal with that. By comparison it will sound like a library to my GS.

But at least I know what I'm getting.

I will say this again about the Mayrun tires. The few people on the net who have them have RAVED about their performance. But they were likely doing so to justify going cheap on a replacement set. They are off the hybridaboo now so no love lost. For the little time I had them on, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. But as noted, I wasn't going to be the guinea pig on their long term wear. Likely they will cause another outbreak of the bubonic plague in a year or two but until the bad news comes, I have no unkind words about them.
Old 08-28-13, 01:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
We agreed on the Dunlops. If road noise is the biggest issue per this thread, I can deal with that. By comparison it will sound like a library to my GS.

But at least I know what I'm getting.

I will say this again about the Mayrun tires. The few people on the net who have them have RAVED about their performance. But they were likely doing so to justify going cheap on a replacement set. They are off the hybridaboo now so no love lost. For the little time I had them on, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. But as noted, I wasn't going to be the guinea pig on their long term wear. Likely they will cause another outbreak of the bubonic plague in a year or two but until the bad news comes, I have no unkind words about them.
Care to share what it says for specs on the sidewall of the Mayrun tires if you still have them on your vehicle? Never heard of these before.
Old 08-28-13, 01:48 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Care to share what it says for specs on the sidewall of the Mayrun tires if you still have them on your vehicle? Never heard of these before.
They are off the vehicle now and I don't have the specs on them any longer. Looks like www.onlinetires.com carries them and has some rating information available.

Brand: MAYRUN
Part #: M50072
Size: 235/55-19
Speed Rating: V
Type: PASSENGER ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE
Load Index: 101
Load Range:
Sidewall: BSW
UTQG: 420 A A

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread