RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450 h navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 08:52 AM
LTem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450 h navigation problem

Hello from Europe. I have a 2012 Lexus 450 h and the HDD navigation system is giving sometimes losing the direction 
All of the sudden the car indicator on the map leaves the road and is driving around in whatever is next to the road: houses, plains…lake.. till it finds the road again seconds or minutes later.
Not to disturbing when driving straight road but in a village, town or on a motorway exchange it can be dangerous.
Lexus Europe and the software company AW Europe do not find the cause and no solution is given to the problem.
They also say they have no other customer complaints about the issue.

That can be or as the problem is intermittent and that one must have his eye on the screen it could be that it has not been noticed by many user.
Or it is an issue specific for my car and then I will have to convince Lexus to change the nav system in my car
All feedback and comments are welcome
Old 03-15-13, 09:40 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I have not heard of a problem like this. It sure sounds like a problem with your Navigation or on-board GPS. Does the problem always happen in the same area or is it truly random? I also assume you are not carrying anything on top of your RX that could cause some sort of interference, right?
Old 03-15-13, 11:19 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Like Bert said, that sounds pretty strange. Is it possible you zoomed out? If you zoom too far out on city/county/roads, they just may not show and it looks like you're in no man's land.
Originally Posted by LTem
Hello from Europe. I have a 2012 Lexus 450 h and the HDD navigation system is giving sometimes losing the direction 
All of the sudden the car indicator on the map leaves the road and is driving around in whatever is next to the road: houses, plains…lake.. till it finds the road again seconds or minutes later.
Not to disturbing when driving straight road but in a village, town or on a motorway exchange it can be dangerous.
Lexus Europe and the software company AW Europe do not find the cause and no solution is given to the problem.
They also say they have no other customer complaints about the issue.

That can be or as the problem is intermittent and that one must have his eye on the screen it could be that it has not been noticed by many user.
Or it is an issue specific for my car and then I will have to convince Lexus to change the nav system in my car
All feedback and comments are welcome
Old 03-15-13, 11:31 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 376 Posts

While I've found the accuracy to be good all the time, the manual makes it sound like this is completely normal for it not to be:

The GPS system has a certain level of inaccuracy. While the navigation system will compensate for this most of the time, occasional positioning errors of up to 300 ft. (100 m) can and should be expected. Generally, position errors will be corrected within a few seconds. When the vehicle is receiving signals from satellites, the “GPS” mark appears at the top left of the screen. The GPS signal may be physically obstructed, leading to inaccurate vehicle position on the map screen. Tunnels, tall buildings, trucks, or even the placement of objects on the instrument panel may obstruct the GPS signals. The GPS satellites may not send signals due to repairs or improvements being made to them. Even when the navigation system is receiving clear GPS signals, the vehicle position may not be shown accurately or inappropriate route guidance may occur in some cases.
Old 03-15-13, 11:36 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Hello and welcome. Take a picture of when this happens so you can show it to the dealer. They may try to replace your Nav and the GPS to rectify this problem.
From my experience with an old handheld Garmin GPS, GPS signals in Europe are weaker than those we see here in the states. Sometimes it would take forever to lock, especially in the wooded areas.
Do you have a handheld navigation unit to see how the reception is in the troubled areas? Those usually have a screen where you can see the signal quality and satellites locked. I don't recall seeing this screen in the OEM Nav.