RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need help configuring a 2013 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 04:42 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I happen to be in the market for a new RX350 recently and I agree that contrary to our common sense Lexus dealers don't like custom orders. They are much more interested in selling their inventory. The best deal I could get from a custom order is $1,000 off MSRP. One crazy Asia marketing director even told me I would have to put down a non-refundable 50% (that fifty percent) deposit for my custom order.
I thought this woman needs her head checked as I haven't heard such preposterous proposition before!
Old 03-18-13, 05:40 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dolphin, I completely get the point folks are on to save money, as well as it being a long and complicated road to complete the special order route for those that choose to. I'm thankful for forums like this to share experiences and personal opinions, so I can form and refine my own.

I don't want to come across that I'm some rich old geezer, 'cause I'm not. I don't like to waste money, but choose to prioritize (as long as I can) having the exact features on the vehicles I desire and waiting the time it takes to do that, vs. compromising and likely regretting it later on. When I desire to receive it, I will also pay a little more for extraordinary service -- received or expected. It's a subjective thing I know some people don't care as much about, especially when we have to put a hard dollar value on it. That's OK by me too. I get it. My decisions cost me money making auto mfgrs and their service departments happy I suppose, but I suspect I really just spend my cash differently than others to accomplish what makes me happiest in the broader spectrum of things. Enough philosophy.

...and for the folks that believe its easier with other brands like MBZ or BMW, well, I have special ordered from both of them too, and while it at first appears simpler, my personal experience would say the end result is not really any better than my multiple experiences doing the same thing with Lexus. IMHO there are just different challenges with each mfgr that I won't waste time in this thread to explore.

In the end, I remain pleased that Lexus allows a vehicle to be special ordered, unlike some brands, even with its sometimes convoluted processes and many variables. For those that prefer purchasing their Lexus in a more "normal" and perhaps expedient way, and can perhaps compromise more than me, that is just great. I'm most happy though, we all don't have to have the same black car these days, and can make the decision to buy using the method that best suits our individual needs, as imperfect as they sometimes may be.

Sakaike, since you're the OP, I'll bow out of this discussion now and let others chime in. You decide what's best for you, and I look forward to hearing how you progress. My best ...and I hope to hear you're in the RX of your dreams very soon.

Last edited by BertL; 03-18-13 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Typo. Love my iPad, but autocorrect, not always so much!
Old 03-19-13, 05:27 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bert,
I wouldn't suggest you bow out at all. All of this dialog has been extremely insightful and interesting for me (can't speak for anyone else). And I've got to say that I think I've come to one conclusion in this discussion that I don't think I initially anticipated when I launched it:

Given that a special order is highly unlikely to be priced as attractively as a car on the lot (on a feature by feature basis), probably my best bet for bang for the buck is to get the following configuration:
- RX350 FWD, color combo TBD
- Comfort package (primarily for the HIDs, although the other items are nice to have)
- Nav package (I'm done with Garmins and smartphones and their too small screens)
- Either Luxury or Premium package (for folding mirrors and a few other items)

My takeaway from the discussion thus far is that if I can find a car on the lot with the packages listed above, I can probably strike a decent deal, all other things being equal (and we all agree that not all things are indeed equal here). I haven't attempted to run the numbers, but it's quite possible that I could get this configuration for about the same price as the special order with less stuff but smaller discount because it's a special order.

Assuming you're all following my logic, I have two follow-up questions for those who either have an opinion or solid insights into these things:

1. Do you think my takeaway holds water?
2. Is the combo I describe above (FWD plus Comfort, Nav, and either Premium or Luxury) a fairly common combo for Lexus to build (and thus find on the lot)?

Again, TIA for your thoughts and insights.

ETA - Regarding ca92129's comment on custom builds from other manufacturers, my BMW 328i E93 was indeed a custom build. I got everything I wanted, nothing of what I didn't want, and a very nice discount under MSRP for my troubles. Experience was awesome, including tracking the progress of manufacturing through the plant online, tracking the finished vehicle as it moved by rail to the port, watching the boat move across the ocean via GPS (through the Panama Canal up to Port Hueneme in Central California), and finally getting the call from the dealer that the car had arrived and was being prepped for pick-up. Really cool stuff.

Last edited by sakaike; 03-19-13 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added my BMW experience
Old 03-19-13, 05:36 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, you knew I was lurking (or at least some other long time readers did) . Here goes a really simple response to your two questions: Yes and Yes. If you are as flexible as you suggest, you have high probability to find a match at a good price. I suggest you just prioritize your list and colors that may work for you, or at least the ones that won't, and start your pursuit. Good luck!
Old 03-19-13, 05:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree with BertL. The RX is packaged based on geography but the dealers do have other builds that come in. It's just a matter of finding the one that's right for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-19-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 08:59 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Thanks all. I'm likely going to disappear for a while now. I need to visit a dealer to see exterior and interior colors in person and also determine whether I "need" the semi-aniline leather interior, which will determine whether I opt for the Luxury or Premium package.

Everything else is pretty much set in stone, configuration-wise, based on the great advice here on this board. Thanks again. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 03-20-13, 10:04 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ca92129
I agree that the 'build your own' function on lexus.com is pretty much useless.

If you want to do custom builds, BMW and MB do a much better job as their custom order system is much better than Lexus (much more variations than just 5 bundled option packages), plus you can get similar discount as the ones in the dealers lot, and the wait time is typically less as their SUVs are manufactured in the US.

For Lexus the typical way is to search local deals inventory and find the best match. If you live in an area with many dealers and large inventories, you can get something very close to what you want and save the wait time. That is how most of the lexus buyers (including me) did it.
The Lexus page is a embarrassment for special orders. I would have liked the HUD in our '13 RX 350, but the ML would also have been welcomed. But I keep hearing the ML isn't that much better and it just has clearer highs. I think the stock system sounds good. But the whole dealer pricing game is old. I know we ended up paying more on our RX than we should have last, but it was the right vehicle and the numbers came down to where we needed them.

Now I'm at a crossroads with a GS 350 with rear steer and HUD and ML. Not having much luck on the numbers for this car and may simply buy the vehicle through a different dealer out of state that is willing to do a better deal. Next to a house, I like these large purchases to be right. And since dealers are good at the numbers game, you almost need a fine tooth comb sometimes when looking at the deals and getting acquainted with how incentives and tax credits work. But as it was said earlier, from basic dealers to high end ones, the name of the game is the same and you just need to be patient in finding the right dealer who will work with you. A task that seems more difficult with each car purchase and when starting over with a new brand as my wife and I are here.