RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can I switch from HID to Halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20 | 08:04 AM
dirkieb
Driver School Candidate

Default HID to Halogen

Long story.

But can i simply buy 2 x halogen light full assemblys and replace my xenons with them?

Plug and play?
Old 03-11-20 | 09:19 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Yes. Pull the AFS fuse.
Old 03-11-20 | 09:23 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by dirkieb
Can hid to halogen be done?

2006 is220
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
If you change the entire headlight to halogen it will just plug in and everything will work properly, yes.

The only thing you will have to deal with is the AFS light coming on on the dash. There is a fuse you can pull, or unplug the AFS ECU to disable that and at that point your car will function just like a car that came with halogen.

Jeff
Yes.

​​​​​​​Jeff
The following users liked this post:
dirkieb (03-11-20)
Old 03-11-20 | 11:00 AM
dirkieb
Driver School Candidate

If i buy two halogen full assembly lights.. Fit them in car.. And upgrade back to xenon.. Would that work?

Can get a set for £40 from a breaker.
Old 03-11-20 | 11:35 AM
Zmon
Racer

If i buy two halogen full assembly lights.. Fit them in car.. And upgrade back to xenon.. Would that work?

Can get a set for £40 from a breaker.
You could, but the better question is why would you do that? The halogen assemblies were not designed around HIDs and can't direct the light properly. Glare is the number one reason people will advise you to stay away from aftermarket kits in halogen assemblies as no matter what you do, the lights will still throw out some glare blinding other drivers. Second reason being poor quality of aftermarket kits. What's wrong with your existing HID assemblies?
Old 03-11-20 | 11:38 AM
dirkieb
Driver School Candidate

Ballast has gone on passengers side.

Im going to just buy a ballast and do the repair.

Whats a decent one on ebay or amazon i can get?

Thanks
Old 03-11-20 | 11:58 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Thanks
I'd recommend some XenonDepot.com ballast. I'm still on my original set from 4 years ago. The ballast have proven to be great. My previous experience from mom, and pops shops life expectancy is about a few months.

Just make sure you mount them away from possible water intrusive areas. Meaning in a dry spot under the hood. You can spray the hood with water then open it to see where most of the water made its way in. For me it mostly around the headlights areas.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 03-11-20 at 12:05 PM.
dirkieb (03-11-20)
Old 03-11-20 | 12:08 PM
Zmon
Racer

Thanks
Depends how much you want to spend. Aftermarket ballasts that look like OEM and use the existing OEM mounts are $40 USD, looking at Amazon, those same ones are available to people in the UK for £40 + shipping. You can probably find used OEM ballasts on eBay for possibly the same price if you want to go that route. I ended up buying one of those aftermarket ballasts for mine after a cracked headlight killed the ballast, I wouldn't exactly say it's top quality as it takes a bit longer to warm up, and does flicker on initial start-up occasionally, but it works. The worst part about the swap is deciding how you're going to do it since you can't exactly pull the bulb end out without opening the headlight. I ended up following this method: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sassembly.html
Old 03-11-20 | 12:45 PM
dirkieb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I'd recommend some XenonDepot.com ballast. I'm still on my original set from 4 years ago. The ballast have proven to be great. My previous experience from mom, and pops shops life expectancy is about a few months.

Just make sure you mount them away from possible water intrusive areas. Meaning in a dry spot under the hood. You can spray the hood with water then open it to see where most of the water made its way in. For me it mostly around the headlights areas.
Thanks man.
Old 03-11-20 | 01:24 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Thanks man.
I don't see the OEM ballast type on XenonDepot anymore. Might check Amazon, or Ebay.
Old 03-14-20 | 11:09 AM
dirkieb
Driver School Candidate

Changed the ballast on the "faulty" passenger side light.. Still not workimg... Drivers low beam fine, passengers not working at all.

Changed fuses etc.

Is there a relay that could possibly be at fault?

If so..where is it?
Old 03-14-20 | 01:54 PM
Zmon
Racer

Just to confirm, did you swap bulbs from side to side to first ensure it was a ballast problem? If the problem follows, it's the bulb.
Old 03-14-20 | 02:01 PM
dirkieb
Driver School Candidate

Changed bulb sides... Bulb works from passenger over to drivers side.

So problem isnt fuses, light, ballast,

Ripping my hair out.
Old 03-21-20 | 02:41 PM
lexoboat
Driver School Candidate

Default HID to halogen?

I need to get rid of my HID headlights for a couple of reasons that didn't seem to be addressed in this thread (even though the thread is correctly named). First, these HID headlights suck! I can leave my high beams on all night, every night, and NO ONE flashes me - they are that bad. Even with the foglights on, it's literally dangerous to even drive the speed limit on rural roads, for fear of outdriving my lights. The plastic housings are so fogged over that even if I replaced the bulbs, they would throw no more light. I've tried to use special cleaning kits on the housings (several times, both ones I bought myself and allegedly "professional" cleanings by shops that PROMISED their cleaning would work) and they help (only a little bit) for a few months, but after that they look just as they always did - crappy! I once stuck a pedestrian in a parking lot (at 15mph and she jaywalked out in front of me from behind a thick brick column so fast I slammed on my brakes and still couldn't stop - luckily she was OK with only a few bruises), and the impact took out my left light. The body shop replaced that light with a new one, and supposedly "cleaned" the right one to make it look more like the new left one. Even then, they still sucked, and the left one looked just as bad as the right one within a few weeks of driving. This is a HORRENDOUS headlight design. LEXUS, YOU SUCK for ever selling a car with such dangerously crappy headlights! And the world's worst turning radius, but that's an unrelated gripe. Other than these two (admittedly major) complaints I love my Lexus, and have no plans to get rid of it even though it already has 235K miles on it (still on the original motor, got a new trans at 120K, various oxygen sensors and knock sensors as they all went bad, and that's about it other than routine maintenance).

So what's the solution for these dangerously crappy lights? I can replace the original HID lights with a new HID pair from Amazon or eBay for $700 to $1000. That's a non-starter - I'd sell the car first. I can replace them with NON-HID lights for $150/pr, plus new LED bulbs for about another $50 for a set of both high beams and both low beams. So I bought these, and took the car to my favorite mechanic (who has been working on all my cars for 15 years and was a mechanic at a Toyota dealer for 13 years before he opened his own shop) and he reported that the wiring harness for the non-HID lights is so different from the harness for the HID lights that it would cost me more than $700 in labor to have him manually convert all the wiring to make them work in my car. Apparently one of the problems is that the HID lights also include "self-levelers" (which NEVER worked and are the stupidest things I've ever seen in a car - replacing a simply screwdriver adjustment with an "automatic" adjustment system that is absolutely guaranteed to fail and costs a stupidly absurd amount of money to replace). The non-HID headlight system looks (from the outside) identical to the HID system, and seems like it should be a simple bolt-in replacement. EXCEPT that it doesn't have the self-leveling feature, and the wiring harness is completely different. So what do I do? I've searched extensively for a plug-in conversion kit to convert the HID wiring harness to the non-HID harness (I could care less about the self-leveling, in fact would prefer to get rid of the whole self-leveling idea so I can pull up to a blank wall one night and adjust the lights myself, just as I have on every other car I've ever owned). These conversion wiring kits seem to be nonexistent. But the fact that the HID lighting system includes this extra function means that the wiring harness is a single large multi-plug instead of separate individual plugs for each of the several bulbs as in the non-HID system, so that it's a nightmare to do the conversion even though identical-looking non-HID lighting modules are widely available.

So what do I do? If I can't swap out the HID lights for non-HID lights at a reasonable cost, there are two possible solutions: 1) Buy a pair of aftermarket driving lights, mount them on the front bumper, and install a switch on the dashboard to turn them on manually. That will look stupid, but at least I'll be able to see. 2) Sell the car and buy a different model car with headlights that work worth a damn. Any other ideas? I'd love to be able to make the swap, but it has to be a reasonably cost-effective proposition for a car that's worth $3500 on the open market at most. Thanks in advance for any possible solutions. Apologies if the original creator of this thread thinks my reply is "hijacking" their thread.
Old 03-21-20 | 03:15 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

The wiring harness is not completely different. You can literally take the HID lights off the car, put the halogen ones on it and just plug them in.

After that, pull the AFS fuse to completely disable the auto leveling system and you’re done. If you want a more complete removal, you can take out the AFS ECU as well.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 03-21-20 at 03:21 PM.
dirkieb (03-21-20)

Quick Reply: Can I switch from HID to Halogen?