RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can I switch from HID to Halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20 | 04:43 PM
lexoboat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The wiring harness is not completely different. You can literally take the HID lights off the car, put the halogen ones on it and just plug them in.

After that, pull the AFS fuse to completely disable the auto leveling system and you’re done. If you want a more complete removal, you can take out the AFS ECU as well.

Jeff
I wonder why my mechanic, who has always treated me right and is a longtime Toyota mechanic, thought it would be so difficult? I will revisit this with him. Thanks!
Old 03-21-20 | 06:42 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I have had halogen, halogen with HID kit, the AFS HID lights (with and without STi lenses) and the 2011+ LED DRL HID lights in my car. It's all pretty straightforward.

Pinout:

Halogen:

AFS HID:

Jeff
Old 03-24-20 | 08:18 AM
TashaGreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexoboat
I need to get rid of my HID headlights for a couple of reasons that didn't seem to be addressed in this thread (even though the thread is correctly named). First, these HID headlights suck! I can leave my high beams on all night, every night, and NO ONE flashes me - they are that bad. Even with the foglights on, it's literally dangerous to even drive the speed limit on rural roads, for fear of outdriving my lights.
Fog lamps aren't designed to illuminate much more than 100 feet of road at best (brand new condition). In other words, fog lamps are good for driving the speed limit when the speed limit is 25 MPH or less.

The body shop replaced that light with a new one, and supposedly "cleaned" the right one to make it look more like the new left one. Even then, they still sucked, and the left one looked just as bad as the right one within a few weeks of driving. This is a HORRENDOUS headlight design. LEXUS, YOU SUCK for ever selling a car with such dangerously crappy headlights!
I suspect that the body shop replaced the light with a typical aftermarket, crash-replacement grade headlamp, and not an OEM headlamp. New aftermarket headlamps are $300-400 a piece all day, every day. New OEM headlamp is easily $1000 and up. Not a hard decision for a body shop. Take a good look at your headlamp lens and see if you can find the manufacturer on it. Aftermarket headlamps are exactly as you described--pretty poor, and haze over quickly. The OEM ones haze over as well, but slower, and are pretty okay when new.

Apparently one of the problems is that the HID lights also include "self-levelers" (which NEVER worked and are the stupidest things I've ever seen in a car - replacing a simply screwdriver adjustment
You can still adjust the lamps with a screwdriver. "Screwdriver adjustment" is a feature mandated by law and hasn't been "replaced" by anything. If your mechanic can't find the screwdriver adjustment, then I would find a new mechanic.

So what do I do?
The problem here is likely an unholy combination of old headlamps, aftermarket headlamps, yellowed/hazy/sun-damaged headlamps, old HID bulbs, and some misconceptions about effective lighting. HID bulbs that are merely a few years old are at 75% of original lumen output, and most people neglect to replace their HID bulbs until they fail to fire. HID bulbs will continue to light up well past the point where they've lost 25% of their light output. The other points have been discussed above.

1) Identify whether your replaced lamp is OEM or not. There is text in the boxed area. If it says "Koito" (among other things) then it's OEM. If it doesn't then it's aftermarket.

2) If it's aftermarket, replace with a OEM one. Like this one. Then you'll at least have one high-quality, OEM headlamp assembly that hasn't turned yellow yet, and since it's OEM, it's required by law to withstand 3 years of weathering--in other words, it shouldn't turn yellow/hazy for another few years. Unlike a typical aftermarket headlamp, which looks good rolling out the shop and typically turns yellow/hazy in a few months, because aftermarket doesn't care about the law (there's practically 0 enforcement in the aftermarket).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2009-L...YAAOSw38BaXP2e

You can use this eBay link to search for the other side's headlamp. I just typed in "is250 headlamp oem" and found plenty of results. It appears that your budget is $200 for both sides....that's a bit low...but you might be able to find some gently used OEM lamps that haven't started hazing over yet, which would still be better than most aftermarket parts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...p+oem&_sacat=0

3) Philips XtremeVision H11 bulbs

Last edited by TashaGreen; 03-24-20 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-25-20 | 11:48 AM
srvalfaro
Driver School Candidate

Default HID gs430

If you change the entire headlight to halogen it will just plug in and everything will work properly, yes.

The only thing you will have to deal with is the AFS light coming on on the dash. There is a fuse you can pull, or unplug the AFS ECU to disable that and at that point your car will function just like a car that came with halogen.

Jeff
Jeff,
is there any particular brand of housings you’d recommend? I’m sick of staring at the ever-yellowing lenses of the HIDs on my Gs430. I would like to replace them with gs300 halogen housings and upgrade to LED bulbs, but I am skeptical about plastic’s quality.

Old 03-26-20 | 10:07 AM
srvalfaro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexoboat
I wonder why my mechanic, who has always treated me right and is a longtime Toyota mechanic, thought it would be so difficult? I will revisit this with him. Thanks!
any update on your conversion to halogens? Did you replace the entire housings? I’m looking to do the same.
Old 11-15-20 | 03:12 PM
Cruf665
Driver School Candidate

Also looking for some help here. Sick of replacing ballasts and bulbs. Looking to go fully halogen or LED 05 RX330!
Old 06-26-23 | 02:12 PM
chochocho
3rd Gear

sorry for bring this thread back after a few years. just recently purchased a 2006 rx400h and the driver side headlight assembly has condensation. the car has the Stock HIDs with the AFS. Driver side has a dying HID bulb or ballast. Passenger side seem to be working fine but the lense is a bit hazy.

have any of you folks gotten new halogen headlight assembly, remove the ballast, and installed halogen or LEDs? sure that i'll need to mess with the power from the ballast to connect to the LEDs.

as for the AFS, where is the AFS fuse or ecu?

thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-23 | 08:45 AM
nghiemmanhha
1st Gear

The wiring harness is not completely different. You can literally take the HID lights off the car, put the halogen ones on it and just plug them in.

After that, pull the AFS fuse to completely disable the auto leveling system and you’re done. If you want a more complete removal, you can take out the AFS ECU as well.

Jeff
HI Jeff,
Thank for your answered. Could you please consult me on my case:
My Lexus 2010 RX350 original come with HID headlight assembly. Can i switch to Halogen assembly? if yes, how to re-connect the wire and plug?
The following users liked this post:
Doober (10-01-24)
Old 01-21-24 | 10:20 AM
kilowhiskey2
1st Gear

Angry

Originally Posted by nosurprise
why do you want to switch? I assume you can by removing the ballast and rewire (since switching to HID is adding the ballast, I think it's just the opposite).
The HIDs are worn out. Outdated, Also LEDs/Halogens now are brighter and more cost efficient. Thats why. Would love to swap out the HID headlamps with stock halogen or LED harness.
Old 01-26-24 | 06:39 AM
GinoD954
2nd gear

Mine are converted to LED. Very easy to do, and much better than the old HID setup.
Old 02-20-24 | 12:17 AM
Monica21
2nd gear

Default Help please. Newbie!

Hello. I have a 2010 rx350 with 225k miles. I love this car and want to keep it. My drivers side headlight went out. Mechanic quoted me $2200 to replace ballast (I’m assuming the entire headlight assembly). It’s not the bulb, we already checked. I have the HID AFS system. Can I switch to LED by purchasing new headlight assemblies for both sides? Is this something I could do myself? I’m not handy but good at following directions. Also, if I can switch to led, does anyone have a recommendation where to purchase? Thank you so much!
Old 02-20-24 | 12:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The ballast can be replaced I would not go back to that mechanic
https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...101_headlamp/2
uncondition4l (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24 | 01:53 PM
uncondition4l
1st Gear

Default That is a bad mechanic.

Originally Posted by Monica21
Hello. I have a 2010 rx350 with 225k miles. I love this car and want to keep it. My drivers side headlight went out. Mechanic quoted me $2200 to replace ballast (I’m assuming the entire headlight assembly). It’s not the bulb, we already checked. I have the HID AFS system. Can I switch to LED by purchasing new headlight assemblies for both sides? Is this something I could do myself? I’m not handy but good at following directions. Also, if I can switch to led, does anyone have a recommendation where to purchase? Thank you so much!
I've been replacing my own ballasts since I was about 19 years old, and I'm a girl who doesn't even know a whole lot about cars (lol). It's super simple. You can get the part number usually off the ballast itself- search it on ebay or other store to find the matching part (I get mine on ebay and out of about 20, only 1 was no good which was refunded)- and order the ballast. When it comes in, unplug your old ballast and plug the new one in. You got this! $2,200 would a NOPE from me! If you aren't sure, the ballast is usually the little silver (metal) rectangular box that your headlight wires connect to. Make sure the car is turned off. It has high energy output.
Clutchless (05-22-24)
Old 09-25-24 | 07:35 AM
F50gta
2nd gear

Default AFS fuse unplug

If you change the entire headlight to halogen it will just plug in and everything will work properly, yes.

The only thing you will have to deal with is the AFS light coming on on the dash. There is a fuse you can pull, or unplug the AFS ECU to disable that and at that point your car will function just like a car that came with halogen.

Jeff
Does that fuse support anything else?