RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ES verson RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 02:35 PM
ohhawk
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ES verson RX

Have a 2007 ES350 and am considering moving into a 2013 RX AWD. Am wondering if anyone has gone through a similar change and if you notice much difference in such things as interior noise, seat comfort, and general handling. Also considering the Mercedes M series SUV if anyone has any input they care to provide. We've enjoyed the ES for ride, comfort, and minimal noise so don't want to lose that element.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-13, 04:37 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Different people will rate the same cars differently. You should go to the dealer and take one out for a good drive and make your own evaluation. Even in the same car there can be drastic noise differences depending on the size and brand of tires. You can search threads in here on that topic alone. They can also effect handling. Properly set up, the RX is a very good handling and quite car even though it's a SUV. For the record, it is the top selling Lexus outselling all the other models combined.
Originally Posted by ohhawk
Have a 2007 ES350 and am considering moving into a 2013 RX AWD. Am wondering if anyone has gone through a similar change and if you notice much difference in such things as interior noise, seat comfort, and general handling. Also considering the Mercedes M series SUV if anyone has any input they care to provide. We've enjoyed the ES for ride, comfort, and minimal noise so don't want to lose that element.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-13, 05:35 PM
damnitrudy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently test drove a MB M Bluetec and thought it was a very nice suv. I do not own an RX but based on my experience as a passenger it has a better quality interior. Interior volume for both was comparable. Speed wise i they seem equal but I would guess that MB diesel will get mpg but not sure if it wil outweigh the 10k price premium. I will be test driving a F sport and regular model soon before I lease one.
Old 03-21-13, 06:57 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I test drove the Mercedes MB also prior to purchaing my RX. I owned a Camry XLE also(similar to the ES). The MB was not as quiet as the RX. My RX-350 is quiet and sporty with the 19"tires and wheels.
Cruiter is right about the tires. I test drove an RX withDunlops, then one with Michelins(19's)
Hands down the Mchelins were quieter and smoother.
Old 03-21-13, 07:24 PM
AZJoe
Driver

We have a 2002 ES300 with 163,000 miles. Still a great ride. We just added a 2013 RX350 AWD. They are 2 different vehicles in driving position and view but both very comfortable and solid. I had a 2001 ML, loved it and still prefer the seating comfort, but Lexus has a lot less problems and is less expensive (comparatively) to the ML. Yes the Dunlops are noisy. As above the best advice is to drive one. We alway got a loaner when we service the ES, so we got to try a number of different models
Old 03-21-13, 08:53 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i had ES for over a year loved it, traded it in as a temporary replacement got 2013 ES, pretty decent car, when i got into my RX, forget ES, its mad comfortable, ride is smooth i love it, even tho i miss ES a bit. One thing thats quite uncomfortable/ unusual for me is parking, RX is slightly bigger and its harder to park (I live in NYC so parking here is a b****), also in ES when i did 100mph i felt it, here i did last night 105 and i didnt even realize i was going that fast, so i dont feel speed yet on RX, other than that its a great car, i would recommend!
Old 03-22-13, 04:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Cruiter is right. Many opinions and the only way to know is test drive it yourself. Now for another opinion...

The little experience I had with the 07-12 ES the few times I had it as a loaner, very nice smooth quiet ride. In comparison I'd say it is a touch softer but as quiet, while the RX feels a little more planted and secure (yes, even though it's an SUV). The F-Sport takes the handling and body roll dept up further, but down a notch on comfort due to the firmer suspension and 19" wheels. My only comment on the ML or Benz in general is I find the interiors stark and plain looking (true for BMW + Audi as well) and in addition, but on a more objective level, Lexus (and the RX) has been number 1 nearly every year since 1989 regarding quality and reliability and that's truly living in the lap of luxury!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-22-13 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 05:53 AM
Jcolman
Driver School Candidate

I've never driven an ES model but I can tell you that my 13' RX all wheel drive is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. It rides just like the 2 wheel drive version.
Old 03-23-13, 06:10 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive the MB and bought the F Sport 13 RX 350. Nicer interior, quieter, 8 speed tranny shifts smoothly, and handling is nice. I don't find suspension to be too stiff, just firm as well planted. Body roll is gone.
Old 03-23-13, 09:12 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
I did the exact thing you are describing. I went from the '07 ES to a 2012 RX. I notice the RX is not as comfortable as the ES especially over bumps but the RX with AWD will hold the road better, almost as good as my GS. You'll go from ES touchscreen to mouse control on the RX

You'll loose 2 smart key access on the rear door handles (i.e. the ES has sensors on all 4 doors, the RX only has it on the front 2).

In terms for seat comfort, they're similar. Both my ES and RX have the semi-analine and feel quite similar; the ES seat cushion seems to be a bit softer.

... and of course you'll get lower MPG on the RX and acceleration wont be as fast as the ES or GS.
Old 03-25-13, 04:59 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I owned an ES and now three RX'x, very similar ride, the quietness is awesome! Stick with Lexus !
Old 04-19-13, 05:30 PM
ohhawk
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for your input to my original post. Made a commitment for a loaded 2013 RX AWD on a lease, pick it up Monday. My experience after driving the ES for 6 years and driving a loaner 2013 RX for a weekend is certainly you don't give up much but the ride is a bit smoother in the ES and you give up some of the handling but the comfort and noise level between the two is indistinguishable in my opinion.

I noticed the loaner RX had tire pressure set at 37 psi which I thought was high and may have had something to do with picking up some of the road imperfections more than our ES which I usually run at 30-32 psi.
Old 04-19-13, 06:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks to all for your input to my original post. Made a commitment for a loaded 2013 RX AWD on a lease, pick it up Monday. My experience after driving the ES for 6 years and driving a loaner 2013 RX for a weekend is certainly you don't give up much but the ride is a bit smoother in the ES and you give up some of the handling but the comfort and noise level between the two is indistinguishable in my opinion.

I noticed the loaner RX had tire pressure set at 37 psi which I thought was high and may have had something to do with picking up some of the road imperfections more than our ES which I usually run at 30-32 psi.
Congratulations on the RX. If not too late, check that you're not getting Dunlop's as those are noisier and stiffer and ask to swap with the Michelins.
Old 04-19-13, 09:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Bear in mind that the two vehicles are actually very similar. Platforms derived from the same source, same powertrain, etc...