RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus RX350 stolen twice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 07:42 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Kind of my feelings. The op only has that one post. But that video is pretty brazen and they seemed to just take their time. But they were opening and steeling, not taking the car.
Originally Posted by markrivers
Twice??? C'mon!
If this story is true, i'll be looking at family members or friends as the suspects.
The next day, i'll be house hunting.

Clearly, you're living in a shady neighborhood.
Even the insurance company will see this as a red flag.
Good luck with the claims!
Old 04-04-13, 08:40 PM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdyd
Did you lock the door? I notice that there is spare key in the zipped sleeve which is used to put users manual etc. when we brought our 08. I immediately took it out. So if the door is not locked and if the spare key is there anyone can drive it away.

If the door is locked, I am not sure someone can open the door without using the key fob. May be someone found a way to just blast signals to the car and eventually he/she can find correct code to open the door. - My total brain storm.

And very likely it is the same person who stole your RX350 twice.
Spare key? Does RX come with Spare key? I only get 2 key fob and I don't recall receiving an spare key..
Maybe it is the difference between model with keyless entry and not?
I remember on our previous car, a 06 toyota camry, we have 2 remote key and 1 valet key..
Old 04-04-13, 08:50 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flystone
Spare key? Does RX come with Spare key? I only get 2 key fob and I don't recall receiving an spare key..
Maybe it is the difference between model with keyless entry and not?
I remember on our previous car, a 06 toyota camry, we have 2 remote key and 1 valet key..
No spare key since it's a keyless ignition.
Old 04-04-13, 10:36 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting story. It sounds like you could use a secure garage. Best of luck with your third car and your insurance company. I really hope that someone hasn't found a hack for the Enform system or ignition.
Old 04-04-13, 11:26 PM
ecr72
Driver

There is no way I'd own a luxury vehicle if didn't have a secure garage to park it in at night. Sure, I have to park it outside when visiting relatives, but 99% of the time it's in my garage.

If you don't have a garage, you may want to consider a less desrable car. If you do have a garage, clean it out.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-04-13, 11:35 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecr72
There is no way I'd own a luxury vehicle if didn't have a secure garage to park it in at night. Sure, I have to park it outside when visiting relatives, but 99% of the time it's in my garage.

If you don't have a garage, you may want to consider a less desrable car. If you do have a garage, clean it out.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Depends on the neighborhood.
I don't mean to brag but Here, you'll see Bimmers parked on the street, Mercs on the driveway etc.
There's ONLY one guy who parks his car " inside" the garAge and that's because he charges his Tesla S overnight.
Old 04-05-13, 09:23 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

damn that sucks man, ive heard there is a device, whenever you park your car and you lock it from a remote device, there is a thing,idk what its called, if a person that has that thing is close enough, lets say 100feet from you, that device/thing can read your code from the key, and it saves it and it can replicate it. As for now, id suggest you LoJack, i have it on my RX, since i park on the street all the time, it really makes me sleep well. My neighborhood is not the best you could as for, but having it really makes me feel better. Id suggest you to do so, or get yourself a garage, park it there or as some people said a security cameras should do the work, also might try one of those wheel locks and rim locks.
Old 04-05-13, 10:05 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yurka
damn that sucks man, ive heard there is a device, whenever you park your car and you lock it from a remote device, there is a thing,idk what its called, if a person that has that thing is close enough, lets say 100feet from you, that device/thing can read your code from the key, and it saves it and it can replicate it. As for now, id suggest you LoJack, i have it on my RX, since i park on the street all the time, it really makes me sleep well. My neighborhood is not the best you could as for, but having it really makes me feel better. Id suggest you to do so, or get yourself a garage, park it there or as some people said a security cameras should do the work, also might try one of those wheel locks and rim locks.
Installing security camera won't prevent the RX 350 from being stolen for the 3rd time.
What the OP will get is simply a video of how it was stolen.

Thinking about this case, which is a fairly new RX 350,
I find it incredible to believe that Lexus Enform which has the stolen vehicle location feature FAILED???
Or was it ever used to locate the RX.

And...the immobilizer. That's another theft deterrent.
As others have suggested, the mechanism of theft could have been the use of a Tow truck.

So, the $50,000 question to the OP.
HOw many unpaid parking tickets do you have?
Old 04-05-13, 02:13 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is one way to drive off in a car with a smart key. One of thieves has to be in the close range of the key fob.
Old 04-05-13, 05:18 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Twice??? C'mon!
If this story is true, i'll be looking at family members or friends as the suspects.
The next day, i'll be house hunting.

Clearly, you're living in a shady neighborhood.
Even the insurance company will see this as a red flag.
Good luck with the claims!
I was just going to post this... Check your Family members or a close neighbor joy riding your vehicle.

So, the $50,000 question to the OP.
HOw many unpaid parking tickets do you have?
Let's make a the million dollar question, call your local authorities and make sure it wasn't just towed because of unpaid parking tickets... if you were here in NYC you get "the boot" and after a third time you get towed.
Old 04-05-13, 05:51 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like some members have posted it sounds too easy to steal the car so my question is have you ruled out all your household members?
Old 04-05-13, 07:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Folks, the poster's story could be legit.

Having been born and raised most of my life in Montreal, Quebec, if he is from there, it is one of the car theft capitals in N. America. Anything is possible and living there a few years back, it was common to find several cars with "The Club" fastened to the steering wheel on top of the LoJack (Boomerang), kill switch, and alarm many cars had and mandated by many insurance companies.
Old 04-06-13, 04:35 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I feel your pain! I had a 1961 Corvette that was stolen. Two weeks later the police found it in Fredonia, New York and I got it back. It took me 9 months to restore it. Then almost two years to the day from when it was stolen, it was stolen again!!! It was never recovered.
Old 04-06-13, 05:14 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I feel your pain! I had a 1961 Corvette that was stolen. Two weeks later the police found it in Fredonia, New York and I got it back. It took me 9 months to restore it. Then almost two years to the day from when it was stolen, it was stolen again!!! It was never recovered.
I dont mean to scare the op away.....but...i would move, if my car was stolen once at that house.....because thieves will come back, or worse, they stalk you in the dark, they know where u work, what u do, and one day maybe a midnight robbery....you know ? Those in the scary movies stuff.
Old 04-06-13, 06:53 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Here is one way to drive off in a car with a smart key. One of thieves has to be in the close range of the key fob.
The video demonstration is most interesting

youtu.be/a4Dyjc5_cM4

Last edited by DunWkg; 04-06-13 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX350 stolen twice